• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tintindeo

Reaction score
got me a hook-up in LA, last week a domenico spano suit was marked in t-store $120 w/a slash that made it $80, but i got it for $15...gonna put appx $200 alterations..i guess my few shekels will help the economy

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 100% Cashmere Isaia houndstooth waistcoat today at Goodwill. I scoured the place looking for matching pants and/or jacket, but no dice. Still a great score for 4.99.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Picked up a 100% Cashmere Isaia houndstooth waistcoat today at Goodwill. I scoured the place looking for matching pants and/or jacket, but no dice. Still a great score for 4.99.

What size?

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iron_ball
Very heavy HSM overcoat in a dark herringbone tweed, two nearly imperceptible runs in the fabric, exactly my size: $7.68, a Salvation Army in Long Island. I've seen similar models new for $500ish. Will be perfect for the dead of winter.

I also found a heavy HSM overcoat yesterday. It's in charcoal and fits perfectly. There is a small tear in the lining but it's otherwise perfect. Paid $35, which is a lot for me, but it will be great for those -10 Minnesota winter days. I know it's not that recent, since it has a Dayton-Hudson tag, which puts it sometime between the mid 70's and 1990, when Dayton's became Marshall Fields.

Also found a Samuelsohn two button suit in charcoal that fits me perfectly for $12.99.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst thing about having a 9-5 is not being able to hit thrifts during optimal hours. Damn the man.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
What size?
The tag says 42 with a drop of 6. So does that mean that there are matching pants out there somewhere? The model is called "Perry".

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
The tag says 42 with a drop of 6. So does that mean that there are matching pants out there somewhere? The model is called "Perry".

Probably but not necessarily.

I might be interested as well. I love odd vests.

What is the chest measure?

Pic?

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
saw several lanvin ties, made in canada, im assuming the equivalent of the christian dior liscenced stuff, correct?

Pretty much, though I have found some that are particularly nice.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Probably but not necessarily.

I might be interested as well. I love odd vests.

What is the chest measure?

Pic?

As I look again, the size tag says 54/44 not 42. It seems to fit me quite well though, so I don't think I'll be letting it go. Any ideas on how I might wear this odd vest? I was thinking with white or pale blue shirt and olive or tan pants and grey flannel or brown herringbone jacket. What are my limitations here? Below are a couple photos.

More importantly, I've really been having incredible luck lately. Today, I just couldn't resist another quick stop into Goodwill, though at a different location. This time I picked up an incredibly gorgeous Brioni 60/40 wool/silk jacket ($20). It's just so sick! I couldn't believe it. And it's a 40S too. I've been giddy all night. I think it's new (or very close to it) as there were replacement buttons and a couple swatches of fabric in one of the inside pockets. Unbelievable.... Photos are below as well.

Oh ya, and for good measure I scored a RLPL shirt ($9), a Canali shirt ($9), and a nice brown silk knit tie ($4). Can you believe that the Brioni cost less than the 2 shirts and tie combined?

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PLaydice
Get a clue no-body knows how nice brioni suits are! I see them in thrifts all the time here in san diego. Armani and versace are difficult to find here though not so much in LA.
?
eh.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny how clueless thrift store employees are. I bought an Isaia dress shirt from the Salvation Army I used to work at. My old manager was at the cashier when I checked out. She looked the shirt over and said "Well, this must be an expensive shirt since you're buying it!". I told her what they typically go for and she said "Well I couldn't tell the difference between that and a Wal-Mart shirt if I tried. Looks like something I'd recycle into a dish rag". Just goes to show a lot of people out there have no idea....

On the other hand, it seems there are more and more clothes-hounds out there. I don't even bother going to the heavy traffic thrift stores anymore, because the good stuff will go in a matter of a couple hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads