The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Apparently the Renouf is quite popular and there are a lot of copies: http://www.askart.com/AskART/artists/bulletin.aspx?searchtype=DISCUSS&artist=11064422

"The Helping Hand"
    This painting used to be in the Smithsonian's Renwick Gallery in Washington DC in the 2nd floor grand gallery - a room kept similar to the original use of the building as the Corcoran's Gallery's first building in the late 19th century. But the painting belonged to the Corcoran which sold it to a private collector in the 1990s due to a cash crunch, Many in Washington miss it.

The art museum in Honfleur France has several other paintings by Renouf.

I really like the third and fourth ones, especially the third, but I have no idea what they are.

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

That blowup was classic frenchy :crackup:

There's a thread that says COAT for Saks is made by Boglioli. I'm not sure about that but I bought a pair of trousers at Saks and they're real nice.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

3. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    [​IMG]

Quote:
    Yes, I read that as well. But from what I read the reproductions are quite bright on a "satin" like finish. This one is rather dull and appeared to be on some kind of canvas?(As I mentioned not an art expert). The only reason why I thought these were anything is because the one was numbered, signed, and dated on the back and one of the frames had the frame shop in Philadelphia where these paintings were framed. Framing in general isn't cheap but I know this particular store also isn't cheap.

Thanks guys.

Anymore help is appreciated!

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Haha, not if you live in HF's home town... I've found stuff much older.

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

Interested in the red and blue striped if they're around a 34-36 waist

6. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Figured it was not recent, it's in great shape, looks less than 5 years old. Fits me pretty well.
    [​IMG]

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

8. grendel

grendel Senior member

9. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

I owe a much belated thank-you to lastdonb, who traded me a navy suit for a gray sport coat like a month ago. We were discussing it and he went, "You know what, I'll just send it." However, I was on an extended trip, and didn't actually get the suit until yesterday. It is quite nice and plugs a wardrobe hole perfectly for me, and lastdonb is a fine fellow to deal with.

Lastdonb: I hope that you like the coat as well, or that you can at least get some use (or money) out of it.

10. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Do not speak ill of Sonic Youth. That is blasphemy.

12. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

Jeans are a tricky item. For denim-heads, they have to be dark (no or very few washes) selvedge. Japanese denim is good, but this embroidered and screen-printed nonsense is a huge negative; done to appeal to the rap types who jumped on the expensive denim train. Some Evisu's sell well, but these won't do anything outstanding. They are quite faded and have features that will prevent those really into denim from wanting them.

...also you have to watch out for fakes...you have to know a true selvedge edge as well as the markings used by the real manufacturers. A fake pair is worthless.

13. vexco

vexco Senior member

eminem is far more overrated than jay...yes, i went there. sans sslp and mmlp he hasn't put out shit worth listening to yet still gets crowned best ever. miss me with that shit!

14. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Sooo... went to one store and ended up with a few things for me. But that's not the story.

This is:

Picture it... Boston... the Goodwill on Comm. Ave... its Marathon Monday... I see this scumbag with a duffle bag straight STEALING an armful of pinstripe pants, a couple of POW / mixed plaid suits, and EVERY pair of recent tennis shoes in the place. When I was 100% sure that was what he was doing, I told a manager and the guy takes off running out the door and down the street. I had 3 pinstripe suit jacket orphans in my basket when I first noticed the piece of shit.

Moral of the story:

I left behind a recent solid gray BB silver label "hand finished" suit jacket with double vents. 44 R.
    I left behind a recent solid navy blue Samuelsohn suit jacket. 42 R.
    I left behind an older navy pinstripe BB Golden Fleece suit jacket. 46 R.

[​IMG]

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Wtf is ebay search down for everyone else (just search, none of the other pages)?? How am I supposed to foolishly throw my money away, ebay?!?!?!?

Also, Allen Edmonds is having a 90th anniversary sale...19.22% off a bunch of stuff (including a bunch of shoe care stuff)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.