The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

The best part is that it was only $40. I found it at a small second hand store that just opened and the owner told me it was a consignment piece and that the shop takes 50% which means I paid them each $20 for the jacket. Its not in the greatest of shape but really considering the price and the way it fits I dont think I can complain. Its too bad nothing else in the store was even close to being that good.

This is actually the second blue leather motorcycle jacket I have found now. The other one is a totally different style though and the label says British Motorcycle Leathers.

This photo is kinda crappy and doesnt really show the true color. Its pretty similar to the Belstaff in real life. I realized not long after buying this one that I am not the biggest fan of this style of collar so I have been searching for something in a different style for a while now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

2. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Twice had Google Chrome close right in the middle of posting pics and such, what a pain......Trying again:

Friday going to umpire a baseball game and stopped at a GW had never been to, pretty nice haul, many firsts for me:

Turnbull & Asser tweed, slim fitting, SC 42R/L, mint condition, 3btn dbl vent ticket pocket, (available)

[​IMG][​IMG]

PTP 22, between bottom buttons at waist 20, sleeve 26, shldr 18.5 19", length 31.5

[​IMG][​IMG]

Recent Daniel Cremieux for Dillards 2btn navy suit 46R, excellent condition (available)

[​IMG]

PTP 24.5 sleeve 24.5 + 1, shldr 21, length 32,,, pants, 40+2 X 29 + 1,
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Keepers for me:

Oxxford, Wilshire, blue 3 btn, could be an orphan, but I'm going to wear it with denim, no pocket flaps and it almost has a denim cloth look, SZ 41
    [​IMG][​IMG]

First Samuelsohn, lightweight Loro Piana super 110's 2btn single vent black blazer, 42R (available)

[​IMG][​IMG]

PTP 22 (waist 20.5) sleeve 24, shldr 20, length 30
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Owner donated some high quality made in Italy sweaters, most XL, all available:

Principe in purple:
    [​IMG]

Brioni, 100% cotton XL

[​IMG][​IMG]

Like new Canali in very lightweight wool weave, XL brown:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Pink, light black wool in Large:

[​IMG]

Piattelli for Barneys XL, rich burgundy available

[​IMG]

Cortina Italia, black Large

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ted Lapidus, made in Italy, XL-XXL with suede leather epaulets, 45% Flax, 45% Acrylic, 10% Nylon:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pants:

first for me, NWT FLAT front unhemmed Canali from Nordstrom 42 waist in taupe, available:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another first for me, Bill's Khakis 34 X 32 pleated, cuffed, great shape
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Oxxford, dark navy, orphan flat front non cuffed pants, 36+2 X 29+3

[​IMG]

Shirts

Two, Alan Flusser Purple Label (AFPL?) 100 linen marked XL, great spring summer colors, light blue, light bluish-green, PTP 26

[​IMG][​IMG]

Nice Navy Hickey Freeman Canterbury Collection blazer 2btn single vent 42R:

[​IMG][​IMG]

More later!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

^^^^^^^^ Great stuff! Ugh, I wish the shoulders on that T&A were wider....that jacket is amazing.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

4. albeindc

albeindc Senior member

a month or so ago, found a medium GANT old loom blue classic oxford that looked brand new unworn (still crisp and stiff) for $3.99. Sure it's a tad big on me (i wear small), but for 4 bucks, it's amazing!

not my picture, but exact same shirt:

[​IMG]

5. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

My first shell find(!). They are 9.5 D. I only brushed them with my horse brush and buffed them with my shine rag. I remember a post that you have to use some special polish/treatment on these.

I'm not keeping them because 1) a little big for me and 2) not a fan of tassel loafers. However, if they fit, I could make an exception for shell :nodding: . The bad: There is the beginning of a separation from outsole one one shoes (see pix). You could shoo goo them or take them to a cobbler and have it done right. The soles have 100 or so miles left and the heels look like they were just replaced. Heels also say Made in Italy. AVAILABLE.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

Now he wants me to ship to a different address of a Korean-named guy in NJ (I'm assuming someone he knows who will ship it to him cheaper)... Am I covered if I ship to a different address?

7. concealed

concealed Senior member

resend him an invoice based on the new address. I have done this for several guys registered in Japan, who have addresses in the USA.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If he changes the address in the paypal account, it should be ok. (i think).

Otherwise---
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

9. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Do not, under any circumstances, send to an address that is not the registered address for the PayPal account. Did that once and never, ever again: Long story short, PP accused me of participating in a fraudulent transaction and it took forever to get it straightened out. In the end, I demanded, and received, $25 from PP for my trouble, but it wasn't worth it by a long shot.

Given that shipping domestically is better than shipping abroad, I would explain to the guy that you can't ship to a different address than the one on the PP account as per PP rules--and you wouldn't be making this up. Arrange to refund his money, then have someone at the shipping address PP the funds. That way, everyone is covered.

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Or that nobody does, ever really did, or ever should have liked either Billy Joel or Bruce Springstein?

Bring your hate. I can handle it.

Aaaaaaand I was at work. So. Thanks for that. I guess.

Go Joe!

My size and fill holes. Will PM.

I've only had experience with something like this on the buy side. I've bought stuff in England, then had it shipped to a friend there, who either muled it over on one of his trips, or put it all together in a larger box and got some economy of scale on shipping. But in EACH instance, I created an Ebay address that went something like: [Friend's name] on behalf of [My name], [Friend's address]. Changed my default address to that, got invoiced and away we went. I think that's probably the best plan.

11. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Leave the Boss out of this

12. MattR

MattR Senior member

+1, this will cause much consternation. And I know for a fact that (a) he googles himself, especially on message boards and (b) he can beat up just about anyone.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

Meh, he's bland background Americana music... and I can take him [​IMG]

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

Thanks for the advice guys... I told him if the address was on his paypal I could send it to him, but otherwise I can't.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

+1 NEED to ship to the confirmed paypal address!!!!!

Nice Haul! Just an FYI, that is about as old a Hickey Freeman as you can find. (if you were wondering the age)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.