The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valium

valium Senior member

im back due to popular demand:)
    darkmatter7 im speaking directly to you:i have said my peace and will leave it alone,i have no animosity towards you and you have always been respectfull,i just dont believe you thats all.
    i still enjoy looking at the finds,however you get it,i just got pissed when someone accuses me of being jealous (not you),i actually find a lot of clothing but theres enough of that being posted so i thought i would mix it up by posting non clothing related suff and i think people enjoy it.
    speaking of,whats better then thrifting?
    finding shit on the curb,took a side street yesterday i never take and i see a pile of useless junk dining chairs,but behind them i see a glimmer of sunshine bouncing of one chair...just sitting there...in the middle of the day...with cars driving right by it.
    vintage (1981) Herman Miller Aluminum Group work chair,not leather but i will still take it :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

2. catside

catside Senior member

A good cobbler will refinish them for you for around 20 bucks.

3. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

That ad is mine. I haven't bought anything this way yet, but I am in talks with 3 possibilities. One is incredible. I am trying to expand.

edit: I misspoke. I haven't bought anything using craigslist yet. I am in talks with one person which is a result of this ad, and two people who are a result of me responding to other ads.

4. darkmatter7

Thanks for the polite response, and for coming back. I, and others enjoy seeing what you find. It doesn't bother me in the least if you, or anyone else, doubt me. I'm just interested in maintaining a good forum community.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

You probably saved those guys some money, too. :laugh:

I remember one time, in school, we got charged like $60 for the pleasure of watching one of those Star Wars -type trucks come out and chew up our furniture.

Craigslist for clothes? Is that a thing? I was thinking about how nice it'd be to be able to try on some Aldens or something (I've consulted their web site, and still don't know where they're sold in my state), but, you know...I figure'd if you had nice shoes for sale, they'd probably be on eBay or something.

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Wait...what? How do you expect to make money doing this? Anyone intelligent enough about their clothes to respond to this ad is likely intelligent enough to know/figure out quickly what they resell for. This isn't like thrift shops, where people donate out of benevolence, kindness, tax write-offs, or other reasons...this is an arm's-length transaction where the clothing owner is going to try to maximize the amount they get for their stuff. And if they purchased it new, they definitely know what that amount is near. I don't see how money can be made flipping in this manner.

7. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

This DarkMatter7 stuff is really irritating.

1. Who cares whether he thrifts his shit or not? It doesn't matter.
    2. I'm not sure why DarkMatter7 continues to post stuff on here. He takes positively awful pictures and has no interest in trading with anyone. The value of his contribution is zero, because I can easily find better pictures of used men's clothing on the Internet. He's basically attempting to make random grown men envious, which strikes me as weird, but whatever.
    3. Fuck me, this is the Internet.

Can we go back to bitching about bear sweater scam artists?

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Craigslist for clothes? Is that a thing? I was thinking about how nice it'd be to be able to try on some Aldens or something (I've consulted their web site, and still don't know where they're sold in my state), but, you know...I figure'd if you had nice shoes for sale, they'd probably be on eBay or something.

Yup, I've bought and sold on craigslist a lot (free advertising) from all over the country out of state and either picked it up or had it shipped. Things range from all kinds of electronics, clothing, cars, etc (no barns yet)

As you have seen, even people here use a proxy. If you dont want to spend the time to list/sell everything you sell it in one large batch. I have bought a number of "estate" batches off craigslist of higher end clothing that when a father, grandfather, husband dies the women, although they know it cost a lot dont want to spend the time/effort to sell it and just get a few hundred for everything. That has just been my personal experience, but Im sure there are other situations as well.

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Really? I've only used Craigslist for sex. :satisfied:

[​IMG]

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

What do you search for when doing this?

13. darkmatter7

You're mostly right, a lot of people want too much.

I can't speak from experience yet, as I am just testing the waters. So far, I have been incredibly honest and transparent. Like I said, there is one individual who I am talking to who has an incredible wardrobe. In my first email, I gave him an accurate appraisal of what he had, told him how I came to those numbers (eBay completed listings), and explained to him various factors that would cut into my profit. I also gave him a bit of background about who I am and what I am doing.

We're still talking. He knows that I am going to offer him a fractional amount of what his items or worth, because I explained that in my first email. I don't know if I will complete this purchase, but either way, he's a really nice guy, and I've even gleaned a bit of advice along the way.

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

Since this was overlooked I just wanted to say AWESOME find!

15. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Yeah, what a fucking moron. I'm with you, man--I wish he would keep his bragging to the bragging thread.

Now, here's something we all can enjoy...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.