The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I was granted leave for the day with regard to family matters and decided to take my (weak) thrift game on the road. Some might be skeptical of thrifting in Detroit, MI. They say that the town is economically depressed post-apocalyptic hellscape and that people who are surviving on raccoon carcasses are unlikely to be donating high end Italian menswear to their local thrift store. But I know there is money in places up there, and those people must donate decent clothing occasionally. Well, today I went to find out. And I discovered that there isn't shit in Detroit-area thrift stores. Literally nothing worthwhile. I hit high end and low end areas and came up empty.

I had a little better luck at Off 5th and Last Call, picking up some staple shirts and pants for decent prices. Thought I hit a home run at Nordstrom Rack when I found a pair of Sperry desert boots in my size for half what I was going to pay to buy them on zappos last week. Then I saw the checkout line, which literally had at least seventy-five people waiting to go through two cashiers ringing people up. I briefly considered just running out the door while throwing a wad of bills at the sales associate, but instead I just left them behind. :brick:

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You assume I was looking for me :lol:

3. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Hah! Spoo looking to branch out eh? Definately can be a money maker...I have quite a few that I'm saving for a rainy day when I need some retirement money. Ok...maybe not quite retirement money, but some decent change.

And, Spoo, had fun going thru your photobucket album...appreciate the good photography!

D.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

4. catside

catside Senior member

I once proxied couple of outdated Armani suits for someone from Burlington Coat Factory. 300 bucks a piece, the guy saw them, did not buy for whatever reason and got me to do it later Was a terrible store otherwise. Just saying.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Well, more like go back to my roots. I started flipping concert shirts eons ago before menswear and luxury. I had someone from 10 years ago get back in touch looking for some, but all my contacts are long gone. I happen to also love them for house/weekend stuff. I still regret selling my 77 Zeppelin tour shirt and my 81 Stones dragon ones.

And, thanks for looking at my pictures!

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

7. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I still have my Winger t-shirt :slayer:

I actually bought a couple of the Beatles shirts they had at Target...for $11 they've been great shirts.

8. SpooPoker

When I forget to bring my tax exempt forms to NY, I go to NJ. True story :lol:

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Tell me about it. I used to have a Jethro Tull American Tour 1977 t-shirt. Loved it and wore it till it was threadbare. The design/print was really hard to find as I looked on eBay for about 2 years before I found one just like it but in red (mine was black). Went for $200! Ugh.

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Gah! It is. It's old, but in good condition... So when you say some bread , you mean... (I just kept thinking, This is the lovely place that arrested people for renting The Tin Drum on VHS).

Ooh, I've got one of these. Black raglan sleeves, right? Super soft and vintage-y? My uncle gave me one in the late 80's, early 90's, I think. I wore it all through high school. (I believe it's wrapped-up in attic, right by The Dark Knight Returns, which was supposed to be worth a billion dollars by now). :facepalm:

I'd like to find some old Guns N Roses T-shirts and give them to women who look good in leather. :inlove:

11. SpooPoker

Great idea :slayer:

My personal grails are vintage reggae shirts, Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff. If anyone sees those please tell me. I had one from the Stooges and one from Alice Cooper that were so amazing.

12. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

this depresses me greatly. id sell my soul for a 70s zepp shirt.

13. SpooPoker

Where were you when I got only $80 for it on eBay? :laugh:

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

If it was on the Atco label, it was an orig. pressing. These are very valuable and quite rare as they were pulled from the shelves very quickly. Nobody will give you any hassle. The thing is 40+ years old and has serious collector value.

http://www.popsike.com/BLIND-FAITHMINT-ORIG70-ATCO-LPPHALLUS-COVERwINSERT/130231299685.html

15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.