Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ties look real to me.

Those jeans are OMG bad.

Re spot, that "Tide to Go" pen works really well in general.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Does anyone here know how to tell the difference between Zegna's regular label & Couture? I'm looking at dress trousers and chinos at a Zegna outlet, but I'm baffled why these chinos (95% cotton 5% cashmere) are priced at $700, as opposed to the dress trousers (in 100% wool with great pattern) are going for $400. Are the chinos maybe Couture label as opposed to the dress trousers being normal Ermenegildo Zegna label? I did notice some pants had sewn in stars on the waist band (like the Couture label design).

Any help is appreciated, i will ask the SA's, but i suspect their knowledge will be limited... :confused:

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I have a question and request directed to all you guys - do y'all ever find perfume, cologne, and/or vintage scents in you searches? If so, I'd love to get some via you guys who have no problem finding an item and selling to someone else. I, myself, am not a "flipper" but am obsessed with scents.

Thanks and thank you guys for sharing photos of such fun finds!

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

+1. I've purchased from DM. Clearly he has the stuff he's posting. For most of us those kinds of hauls consistently are hard to get our brains around, but he's in the location for it. This is a bragging thread, after all.

5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Man, i wish i knew where to find some Creed scents on discount, considering they have been around for decades. There are plenty of online retailers with stock, but i wonder if they exist in the wild? :paranoia:

6. GHo

GHo Senior member

If there would ever be a grail find in Des Moines, I found it yesterday. Apparently a dry cleaner "dumped" about 50 freshly cleaned shirts off at the GW, and I found a couple beauts.

(sorry for the crap pics. can get better ones if anyone is interested)

top L - Finamore shirt in Green/Purple/Pink - almost flannelish. Beautiful shirt. and my "grail"
    top R - like new Blue/white striped Gitman
    bottom - another like new white/gray striped Gitman
    shoes - 9.5 like new (maybe worn a few times) FootJoy Sport golf shoes

left behind some really nice (again like new) Austin Reed dress shirts - wasn't sure on the flippibility of them. Also two Victorinix shirts - pretty cool shirts, really.

[​IMG]

More pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

[​IMG]

Aldens! Strands! In the general area of my size!

Tips on bringing life back to these? I know there's a whole thread on this, but I also know some of you are shoe-repair wizards.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Brian, want this guy? It seems about your size, and I can measure it up if you want.

[​IMG]

And I think these are a bit small in the waist to be Grendel UGA game-day cords, but they will work well for me, after I get them hemmed a bit, for night Braves games (at least until it gets oppressively hot). PRL made in USA. I don't think they've been worn.

[​IMG]

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

shoe trees are a good start...

9. catside

catside Senior member

GWs online auctions occasionally have them.

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

valium just got shitted on in a friendly, polite way. lolz.

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Sent you a PM on the shirt. Those buttons look delicious [​IMG]

On the shoes, as someone mentioned, get some shoe trees in them and I always start with a brushing and leather conditioner. Those look pretty bad, but I have seen the before and after pictures of some members shoes here and it is freaking amazing what can be done with some time and patience.

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

And a coat of Lexol / Renovateur... then wipe it down and give it another.

Actually, with the Strands I'd just take them to a good cobbler 'cause you're gonna want to get that cut closed up.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

Just a shout out to Typhoid Jones. I picked up those Alden for Brooks Brother's black shell captoes from him and they came today. They're AMAZINGLY nice and he gave me a great deal! I can't recommend him enough as a trading partner. Thanks!

14. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

A request...

Does anyone have a tie like any of these we're willing to part with in these colors?

Shepherd's check
    [​IMG]

Glen plaid
    [​IMG]

Houndstooth
    [​IMG]

I need a wedding tie by the end of May. I can get a $15 tie from Tiebar or a bit more at JAB but I was hoping some of you tie hounds might have something better for a reasonable price.

Thanks.

15. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

I had a good day yesterday. First up a Vestimenta SC. 1-button, peak lapels, and unvented. It's a 50R(EU) and available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Next, a Hickey-Freeman solid navy Madison 93/7 wool/cashmere blazer. It's a 44R and also available. It does have some shine to the elbows.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Finally, a SEIZE sur VINGT shirt (measures 15.75X37, but tagged 42L cm/ 16.5"X37"), Brooks Brothers houndstooth check tie (available 4" X 61"), a pair of flat-front PRL seersucker trousers(not available), and a Brooks Brothers Irish linen button-down (not available).
    [​IMG]

And a couple of PSAs

If anyone likes eShave Almond or Lavender shaving creams Marshalls has them for $9.99(not on clearance). They also have eShave fine badger hair brushes on clearance for $29 (MSRP $60). The couple of Marshalls I went to also had some Brooks Brothers bow ties. My haul:

[​IMG]
    The bow ties and shave brush are available and I can pick up more of the cream when I get the mannequin(s) tomorrow if anyone wants a proxy.

I also found 4 mannequins for sale locally. I am buying one for myself and would be willing to proxy the others. This is what they look like. Price would be $30 plus shipping. Send me a PM if interested because I'm going to pick them up tomorrow. The ad says they are medium sized, fabric covered, and do not have stands.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.