• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madroaster

Reaction score

Srsly? Why lose the cuffs? They finish the pant leg.

Especially if it is pleated.  Pleats and cuffs go together, right?

I don't know--I don't have much love for cuffs. For that matter, I don't have much love for pleats, either--these are my only pleated pants. Maybe it's an age thing--at 24 I wasn't into suits. At 34 I'm not into cuffs. Who knows what 44 will bring?

But if the consensus is that pleats and cuffs go together (and would therefore seem off without them) then I'll leave them. It's not like the sight of cuffs will have people hurling rotten food at me.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know--I don't have much love for cuffs. For that matter, I don't have much love for pleats, either--these are my only pleated pants. Maybe it's an age thing--at 24 I wasn't into suits. At 34 I'm not into cuffs. Who knows what 44 will bring?
But if the consensus is that pleats and cuffs go together (and would therefore seem off without them) then I'll leave them. It's not like the sight of cuffs will have people hurling rotten food at me.

Just sayin'.

PB040175-1.jpg

valium

Reaction score
so in your world suspicion equals jealousy?
you are either a simpleton or trying to get on my nerves,neither is of any consequence to me.
what am i jealous of,Marc jacobs? for wrangler?
regular jacobs doesnt sell never mind this stuff,thats why it ended up where it ended up.
DM7 will actually lose money on this even if he paid $5 per jacket ,he hasnt learned yet that just because theres a famous name on it it will sell.look at the completed sales on ebay,he will end up donating this back.its okay we all made those mistakes in the beginning.
what i dont understand is why you would think im jealous,im not trying to say im above that emotion.**** if he was pulling in Tom Ford or Kiton stuff you bet your ass i would be jealous.not only that i would be on the next plane to LA with $10K in my jeans and hitting those stores hard,he wouldnt even know what hit him my friend.it would take me 3 days max by deduction to find that store.
listen i have no doubt what so ever that these are from a thrift store,what i DO DOUBT is that they are "finds".
they are not,they are "served" with a timely text or hes got a deal with the manager,yes even on half day.
think about it, you hit one jackpot you are lucky,two very lucky,three you got horseshoes up youre ass,four you are a pro and have incredible timing...more then ten....well theres a scam going on.
like i said,more power to him.just dont piss down my back and tell me its raining is all im saying.
and by the way,i had five members pm me telling me they agree with me (you know who you are),so dont shoot the messenger.
anyway having said that im going to post one last time after this because i dont want to go out on a negative note,but im done posting here.
this Frenchy stuff is getting on my nerves and now you got **** heads like you and Man of lint getting on me as well.
for the record im not Frenchy,isnt Spoo a modertaor,run a ******* IP check and be done with it man.
im still going to lurk because i do enjoy seeing the finds,but its not fun for me to post anymore.

This is unlikely to assuage Frenchy Valium's jealousy suspicions of how dm7 comes about these bargains on the reg.....

valium

Reaction score
why do you even bother posting here,you are as useless to this thread as a donkey dick on a monk.you obviously have disdain for thrifters and flippers and the items they find.
so why do you even bother to hang around here...you,you lint hoarder.

Last edited:

valium

Reaction score
okay so i will go out on a bang on my last post,very cool vintage teak cabinet today (sadly without speakers),a cool mint condition Hermes tie,and the best find of the week for me a very cool vintage Bulova flip clock made in japan,still keeps perfect time and its in mint condition.timely,since my time has run out on this forum.anyway happy hunting guys and good luck.see ya.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brought home a navy Zegna suit; not the greatest suit (and definitely not the greatest pic), but it'll do for $10. Double vented, but it's got a pleat and cuffs; I'll take out the cuffs and live with the pleat.

When you tire of that suit, PM me (assuming it's a 42Rish). :inlove:

But if the consensus is that pleats and cuffs go together (and would therefore seem off without them) then I'll leave them.

Not that I'm any authority to respect in the least, but I've worn flat fronts with cuffs, pleats without cuffs and everything in between. Generally I agree with the notion that pleated trousers look better with cuffs (if there's enough material). Flat fronts I generally do without cuffs, UNLESS they're part of a suit, in which case I often cuff them. But following what I do would be the blind leading the blind.

EDIT:
okay so i will go out on a bang on my last post,very cool vintage teak cabinet today

This reminds me of a bedroom set I picked up at a moving sale a few years back. We needed a bed. This guy was moving and had sold most of his stuff and was desperate to get rid of everything. We just wanted the drier, but he convinced us to take a huge book case, small book case, and full king bedroom set (two night tables, chest of drawers, bedframe with headboard, mattress and box spring) for basically the same money (~a Benjamin). Got it home and noticed this:

Did some research and realized it was an early, complete mid-century mahogany bedroom set of George Nelson for Herman Miller. I've yet to find a set like it for sale (though I haven't read the interwebs end to end). The drawers look like this but with cooler, circular pulls.

Last edited:

AMProf

Reaction score
So I know someone did this a while back, but I figured there was enough interest in the Brooks Brothers clearance center on here that I'd share a few pictures from my trip to Garland, NC. Plus, I have an interesting story to share that involves a more well known forum member, Brianpore.

Garland NC is maybe 1.5 hours southeast of Raleigh, really in the middle of pretty much nowhere. Note: very difficult to find a bathroom in town. BBCC folks don't let you use theirs, the gas station where we used to go (that BTW had great ice cream) sadly has shut down. A sympathetic story and a look at my kids made the Piggly Wiggly manager open up their locked (and pretty dirty!) bathroom to us. But, I digress.

Here's the approach to the store:

091.jpg

Main room is flanked by walls of ties on both sides:

092.jpg

Center of room has shirts by size. Pretty easy browsing here. Selection really varies; this time, not too great of a selection in the 15.5/33's for me, save some OCBDs and a couple of non-irons which will be coming to B&S soon.

093.jpg

Nice box of racks for $1 each

094.jpg

Big selection of nice simple sneakers for cheap

095.jpg

Then we move into the room with suits, pants, and ladies clothes and shoes

097.jpg

Here's a cordorory blazer in 36s that Brianpore passed on (more on that story later)

096.jpg

Pants (not much selection here unfortunately. LOTs of pleats and 346 stuff. Women's clothes behind.

098.jpg

100.jpg

Back into the front room and you'll find some scarves and related.....

103.jpg

Near the back of the front room you'll find their imperfects section.

105.jpg

What killed me is the store was packed with boxes like this below, but, I'm assuming, their racks were full and they just didn't have any place for it. Wonder what this box holds.......?

104.jpg

So now onto the story about Brianpore. I don't know Brian at all. But, I saw him comment in a thread about wanting 14.5/31 shirts, so I messaged and we got talking and I told him I would seek out things in his size ('cause I'm going here to buy for myself but also flip a few things). So via text we had perhaps the 1st ever (?) real time interactive thrifting thread personal shopper experience. As I found stuff in his size I sent texts......here's a sample......from when I found exactly what he was looking for!

111.png

Here's what's coming your way Brian:

106.jpg

107.jpg

Many ties and a few shirts coming to B&S next week from this trip.

Madroaster

Reaction score

When you tire of that suit, PM me (assuming it's a 42Rish). :inlove:
Not that I'm any authority to respect in the least, but I've worn flat fronts with cuffs, pleats without cuffs and everything in between. Generally I agree with the notion that pleated trousers look better with cuffs (if there's enough material). Flat fronts I generally do without cuffs, UNLESS they're part of a suit, in which case I often cuff them. But following what I do would be the blind leading the blind.

40R; Sorry. ;)

Thinking about the suit again, I did have a bit of a reality check a few minutes ago. I paid $10 for a pretty decent suit which has a minor stylistic flaw, but that otherwise fits me perfectly and is well beyond my budget to buy new. But given the stuff that's regularly posted here I almost let myself think 'it's just a Zegna'. Must be wary of this.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So via text we had perhaps the 1st ever (?) real time interactive thrifting thread personal shopper experience.

Really cool story, and couldn't have involved a nicer guy. Brianpore and I had a similar mid-thrifting PM exchange. On April 5th. So I'm the Shackleton to your Amundson.

40R; Sorry. ;)
But given the stuff that's regularly posted here I almost let myself think 'it's just a Zegna'. Must be wary of this.

I find it helpful to equate clothes with cars. I see quality BB mainline, HSM and Southwick as the BMW/Mercedes mainline level, BBGF, Hickey and standard Zegna as the M/AMG level. That would put Zegna Trofeo and mil mil, Isaia, RLPL and whatnot at the Ferrari, Lambo and Aston Martin level. And the stuff DM7 (and some others) post at the Bugatti level.

Don't know about you, but finding a recent M3 at ~1% of retail ($7000) would be a damn near wet dream. So, yes, perspective is good.

Last edited:

AMProf

Reaction score
So Brian has a corps of personal shoppers? How did he pull this off?

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So via text we had perhaps the 1st ever (?) real time interactive thrifting thread personal shopper experience.

got an online buddy in florida who does with me all the time when he is out thrifting and comes across things i've expressed interest in
so far i've purchased a bunch of ties and a jacket from him
been looking for some suits and other goodies as well
:slayer:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
valium
darkmatter
manoflint,

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

All you guys, keep poasting. WTHell, man!

*Ladyshoes turned out to be Thom Browne, not Tom Ford. Do they fake these things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics