Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madroaster

Madroaster Well-Known Member

Nope, that's not it. I found it the other day. He's got 8 feedback. There's another account with the same stock who's got around 500 feedback. The second account claims to have bought the business from the first one (Pier).

Went out today but didn't find much worth buying. Brought home a navy Zegna suit; not the greatest suit (and definitely not the greatest pic), but it'll do for $10. Double vented, but it's got a pleat and cuffs; I'll take out the cuffs and live with the pleat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Hanover Sheppard Signature Week Continues with these PTBs in 11.5 D/B as requested yesterday.
    Cant have been worn more than a few times. Soles are still "suedey" to the touch.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Madroaster

My money's on stolen. Who legitimately has multiple lots of 100 Kiton ties for sale, especially at his prices? (But who knows, really. Something doesn't seem right to me though.)

I think he was actually saying he had lots of Kiton suits; don't remember him saying hundreds or $100. He does have a lot of stock.

4. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

When proposing theories it is important to remember the cost to produce 100 Kiton or Brioni labels. :satisfied:

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    been gone two weeks; missed 2,000 posts. and darkmatter has yet to touch bottom on his goldmine.

6. catside

catside Senior member

In the late eighties I visited an atelier in north London which was producing men's suits for couple of other high end retailers in the city. They sold me two suits for 45 pounds each and gave one free. They said for each order they were given a certain amount of material which had about 10% margin so they were able to make more. They did not put store tags in these not to hamper their relationship with the stores and sold them to "friends and family" they said. My size was 38L then. oh well. I kindly asked and they stitched the tags right there after I sworn to secrecy :) I did not have much use for classic English cut suits then and they were passed to cousins after many years of languishing in closets. BTW there was not one ethnic English in the whole place, doubt if everyone was legal. I was a student and they also offered me a job if I needed.Iit was removing extra strings from the suits before they were going to final iron. Bartending in a local pub for tips only paid much better so I kindly declined.

What I am saying is they may be contractors, workers at the contractors, or purchasing from contractors. That is one possibility. The other, of course, is best fake Swiss watches are made in Switzerland.

7. Madroaster

My post was a situation of 'the more I think about this, the more I can see there are lots of possibilities and I'm way out of my comfort zone', but I posted it anyway. (Since if I ever had to be 100% confident in something I said I wouldn't say very much at all.)

I know of Bolivian factories that produce a product during the day and then run an illegal shift overnight producing the exact same product. They are every bit as genuine as the day line; just unauthorized. So I'm open to the idea that these are more legit than they seem on the surface, but I think I'll keep my money just the same.

8. MattR

MattR Senior member

This should not have gone unnoticed in the tremendous wake that is this thread.

:slayer::slayer::slayer:

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Found some cool items today:

-Two Elfa drawer systems for the closet. $4 each. Retail is probably around $150+ each when it is put together.
    - Long sleeve henley from Cintamani. They are an outdoor outfitter based in Iceland, similar to Mammut. Retail is pretty high for what it is, but it feels really nice.
    - NWT Sulka tie. Awful pattern, but couldn't pass up NWT Sulka. (available)
    - Vintage Banana Republic (from their "safari outfitter" days cotton canvas and leather bag. Very small - portfolio sized. Made in England. Really nice. (Spoken for)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Srsly? Why lose the cuffs? They finish the pant leg.

11. workthatwedo

workthatwedo Senior member

Especially if it is pleated. Pleats and cuffs go together, right?

12. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

That's a solid find. Congrats.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

Whaaa...don't know what everyone's bitchin' about... I ran into darkmatter today, seemed like a pretty cool dude.

14. tben

tben Senior member

Really, really, cool bag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.