1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Sometimes I wonder if the designers at RG do a chugging contest with buckets of paint. First one to vomit on a plain white shirt is the new design for the week.

2. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

What? You mean something like this?
    [​IMG]
    I too am paranoid about reaching hands. Here's an idea. I usually put the good stuff on the bottom of the cart and dump crap on top of it. Before check out, I'll dump all the crap out, discreetly, don't wanna piss off too many workers. Try that!

I totally do that! It does take a bit of coordination. 3 months in ballet should prepare you to do this!

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

You're exactly the guy I love fucking with by pushing the cart aside and starting literally a few shirts in front of you working the same direction you're going. I'm entirely serious about this.

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I also had this one guy that kept jumping in the rack right in front of me intentionally... It made me mad until he started grabbing junk. It's funny how often I assume everyone else in the store is a legitimate flipper until I see them grabbing mall brand whatever.

Going to the store sounds like a good idea, but I probably wouldn't bother checking ebay auction measurements. There's like 1/8" between half sizes. That's asking for a lot of precision from random ebay sellers.

5. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

you pussies,carts? baskets?
    i once had 10 suits draped on one shoulder and 12 shirts on the other.
    but seriously though speaking of flippers,i see a few but there is one that just irritates the fuck out of me.
    who knows he might even post here,if you are reading this and you are in toronto and drive a silver Jag XK8 im talking to you...
    anyway he has this god damn intense/insane look as he flips through the racks like he is literally holding in a crap,eyes bulging,cheeks puffing etc.
    i can go through a rack with the best of them but my peripheral vision can spot a nice ass across the store or other people checking me out (flippers,security lol) etc,but not this guy...intense laser like tunnel vision on everything and anything .
    he actually picks up a lot of nice stuff,hey man its all fair game and all if you see it first you should have it but just the way he goes about his business irks me.
    im actually thinking of donating a Kiton jacket i have just so i can watch his fat head explode when he finds it.
    it would be worth it

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  6. sliq

sliq Senior member

@mainy, nice haul mate!!

7. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

+100000 ATLNOOB you know you dont own that rack right,i have actually karate kicked a few carts out of an aisle when people like you do it.

8. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Any Varvatos lovers that wear a size 11 shoe around here? Been had Italian made brown Norwegian heritage chukkas, beautifully patina'd, Look to have barely been worn. Pics tomorrow in the sun.

Quote:
    Actually, scary enough it was more like this... But hey more power to him, at least we aren't competing for the same clothes.
    [​IMG]

(Also thanks, now my search history includes "tranny in blue sequin dress.")

9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! [​IMG]

10. mainy

mainy Senior member

WORD

carts / baskets are for pussies. sometimes i use those rolling baskets at savers, but i never START with one. always start empty handed, go back for reinforcements if you need them. Alanc has seen me in action and can attest to the fact that I weigh about 120lbs yet can carry 15 suits on one arm. People with carts drive me absolutely insane especially when they block aisles with them, i will straight up shove them out of my way

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

You've got my attention, sir.

12. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Not really sure how I made such an obvious misstatement. Surely you guys don't think people buying Diesel and Seven jeans are content with just this piece of the puzzle. If they saw this site, particularly this thread, and gave two shits about making money, they would analyze the hell out of their technique and adapt it to suck up even more valuable product. This is especially true if their only task is to to put their purchases into a large box en route to bulk eBay consigners every week. I mean, do you guys think the flippers haven't adapted their knowledge to increase profits? What if they started buying all of the dumb Robert Graham shirts that we all cherish? They aren't like 90% of the thrifters who are blind to brands and who pick up things that their uneducated minds think look cool...the flippers want to buy every valuable thing and wring the profits out of it. They don't wear their purchases and generously trade with friends like us; they buy to resell. Period.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

+1 for fuck the carts.

Also, does anyone else get a shocked look when you tell them you don't want the hangers? "YOU DONT WANT THE HANGERS?!"

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

They always take the hangers. And they attempt to rip off my buttons in the process of reclaiming their precious hangers :brick:

15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I never start with a cart - I end up with 2 or 3 shirts hanging off the front button of my own shirt (yes, I hang shirts on my shirt to keep my hands free), ties draped around my shoulders, 2 or 3 sport coats under one arm - it's when I finish a row I go grab a cart to alleviate the "rack neck" symptoms (neck cricked to one side from looking at labels). Basket? Whose shins are you gonna bark with a plastic basket? Someone shoves my cart, I accidentally bruise up their shins with a heavy metal cart.

16. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

And then when you find that Kiton shirt, show the guy you just barged out the way and say "check out this awesome shirt, I am now 150bucks richer than you"!

17. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

But...but...I do want the hangers.

18. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

thats exactly why i dont shove them,i karate kick the shit out of that cart so it goes flying.

19. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Psh. I often have to wait behind some middle-aged menopausal housewife belligerently berating the cashier about why she can't have the hangers, who then promises to call the corporate office and have them fired.

20. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

guys forgive the slight [​IMG]
    this was not a thrift find but traded up through thrift finds.
    anyway its available,brand new never used,i think it retails $400 pus taxes.
    but what i really would like to do is trade for a Maratac Pilot watch (i know long shot but you never know)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.