• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, I was thinking drugs. But maybe that's just me....
These are funny. My guy asked for a quote on shipping to Singapore, which I provided, he bid, then I invoiced him with the EXACT same shipping I quoted (which, BTW, was $5 less than cost) and he said shipping was too high and asked me to cancel. I did. I also blocked him. *sigh*
I've used "The Method" a few times on shirts with real MOP buttons (Zegna, Borrelli, et al.). Maybe the vinegar soak I use is too dilute or too short, but I've never really had a problem. I was concerned about this too initially, so I tried it out on a sacrificial lamb with real MOP buttons the first time. No issue. But I'm also not convinced that step does much, so I agree you can skip it.
Do I recall correctly one or more of you like to "mate" your hangers with your suits? If so, I have at least one Oxxford and one PRL wooden hanger (the thin kind; not the ones with the massive shoulders) that I'm not really doing much of anything with. PM me if interested.

There's a few of us... I've posted most actively about it I think, but ick578 is looking for an Isaia hanger. I might give him mine if we ever manage to meet up, since it's for a smaller dude, but finding a large one for the Isaia suit I WILL have someday is going to be difficult ^^;

I can use the fat-shouldered Oxxford hangers, but am looking to divest myself of the thin-shouldered ones as well, in fact. Sorry!

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

goneAWOL

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in trying this out, I read in a book that you can use a coat of clear nail polish on shell buttons to give them a nice shine. I was thinking about trying that on the ones that I "clouded over" with the oxy method. I haven't gotten around to it, but I thought someone else may be interested.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score

There's a few of us... I've posted most actively about it I think, but ick578 is looking for an Isaia hanger. I might give him mine if we ever manage to meet up, since it's for a smaller dude, but finding a large one for the Isaia suit I WILL have someday is going to be difficult ^^;
I can use the fat-shouldered Oxxford hangers, but am looking to divest myself of the thin-shouldered ones as well, in fact. Sorry!

I'm looking for a J Press hanger right now, can trade wishbone Brooks Bros hangers for it.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Just had a new ebay member leave me positive feedback before I shipped the item
rolleyes.gif

Maegnus

Reaction score
A couple shoes from yesterday.
First up, a pair of old Allen Edmonds, these don't even have a model name on the insoles. Anybody seen these before?

Florehseim pebble grain longwings.
Minnatonka double deer driving mocs, look to be unworn. Does this mean they are double ply deer skin?

Also, three pairs of trees.

Nice haul!
worship.gif

How much were the trees?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or just paying off some kid at the thrift to hold stuff for him. The $2,000 NWT had to raise some eyebrows here.

It happens. Some store will just dump a bunch of inventory and write it off as a loss.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Denim jackets are back in (and by a guy whose name reminds me of J-Lo's husband)? I'm sitting on a GOLD MINE from the 90's. (Srsly, I'm happy for DM7, but this is just a fashion trend I can't understand)

Hoofit

Reaction score
Some pics of my haul.
KITON seven fold from yesterday:
kiton002.jpg

Trafalgar Braces
braces002.jpg

Union Made steel toe boots, I couln't pass up
braces001.jpg

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice haul! :worship:

How much were the trees?

Usually trees around here are $2.90. I've found the best place to look for them is in the little plastic bags that some stores have hanging up, the one's that have barbie dolls and other random **** in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads