The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

USPS
    First Class International (under 4 lbs) about $30
    Priority International - about $45 with tracking

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. concealed

concealed Senior member

At least $50-$75, you need to send via EMS express to get a tracking number, so that you can protect yourself.

Not to worry, the Japanese are used to paying this price, and if he has good feedback, I would jump on this.

EDIT: CAP, you are obviously more experienced than I, but I had someone from Russia claim non-shipment way back in the day and lost out on $250, because all I had was the customs sheet, not a tracking number.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oh, he was probably just appologizing for the delay of payment. Should be fine. Good luck.

4. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

Thanks all.

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

6. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Ebay scammers are few and far between. I've never experienced one even with ~1,000 transactions. The more common problem is people who abuse buyer protection, and you'll know when that is happening. I can't believe I'm joining in on the ebay talk...

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Haven't had any problems (knock on wood), but I get tracking on every package no matter how I ship it.

Registered? What do you mean?

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Quote:

Registered? What do you mean?

Its about $12 extra at the post office, but still cheaper then shipping Express Mail but is much slower. Here is the link with all the info.

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/us..._usps6436]&varset(source)=sourceType:embedded

General Information
    Registered Mail[​IMG] (International) is a service that allows you to register your international mail for additional protection and security. Features of this service include:
    • A mailing receipt is issued by office of mailing, and a record of delivery is maintained at the office of destination (the recipient's signature is not required)
    • Registered Mail provides the sender with a mailing receipt, and upon request, electronic verification that an article was delivered, or that an attempt at delivery was made
    • Registered Mail is handled separately from all other mail, and records are kept by registry number
    • Return receipts and Restricted Delivery may be added. (Check for availability by Calculating Postage)
    • Padded envelopes are accepted for International Registered Mail items.
    Notes:
    • Not available to all countries
    • Must be presented to a retail employee or rural carrier
    • Registered Mail service can be purchased for items that weigh up to 4 pounds

9. concealed

concealed Senior member

I am not sure it was a scam, but since I had no backup to prove the package arrived, I lost the buyer protection case

I will have to give the priority international a shot, since I always charge $50 for international shipping, and it probably cuts down on international buyers (customs forms = [​IMG])

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Ah...I see. It must be purchased at the P.O. (not available for online purchase). I avoid the P.O. like the plague, by purchasing labels online and utilizing free USPS pickup.

However thanks for the info, I will probably do this when I sell a hight ticket item overseas.

11. eazye

eazye Senior member

A couple shoes from yesterday.
    First up, a pair of old Allen Edmonds, these don't even have a model name on the insoles. Anybody seen these before?
    [​IMG]
    Florehseim pebble grain longwings.[​IMG]
    Minnatonka double deer driving mocs, look to be unworn. Does this mean they are double ply deer skin?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Also, three pairs of trees.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Check here...it takes a while to look at them all, but it's a good resource to find the manufacturing date ranges, names...etc. You can verify it by the nuber code on the side wall.
    http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs

13. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

damn! when I came across this lot I thought [​IMG]
    this was about a 1/4 of the rack - there were some nice pieces and some very awful ones. Most about 20$ a go though :/. If anyone sees a particular pattern they like I can get measurements

[​IMG]

Also (I know nothing about Member's Only) came across ~30 members only jackets in every colour possible. They dont have much flip value but if someone is looking for this particular jacket, I'm your man.

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. atticus87

atticus87 Member

Bought this from an op shop, a pair of churches, fitted by RM Morsytt, edinburgh,
    Would anyone have any information on this pair, any info will be really appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Actually, I was thinking drugs. But maybe that's just me....

These are funny. My guy asked for a quote on shipping to Singapore, which I provided, he bid, then I invoiced him with the EXACT same shipping I quoted (which, BTW, was $5 less than cost) and he said shipping was too high and asked me to cancel. I did. I also blocked him. *sigh*

I've used "The Method" a few times on shirts with real MOP buttons (Zegna, Borrelli, et al.). Maybe the vinegar soak I use is too dilute or too short, but I've never really had a problem. I was concerned about this too initially, so I tried it out on a sacrificial lamb with real MOP buttons the first time. No issue. But I'm also not convinced that step does much, so I agree you can skip it.

Do I recall correctly one or more of you like to "mate" your hangers with your suits? If so, I have at least one Oxxford and one PRL wooden hanger (the thin kind; not the ones with the massive shoulders) that I'm not really doing much of anything with. PM me if interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.