The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

Regarding the Oxi soaking (which works miracles) here are a couple of things to note - if your shirts have MOP buttons, skip the vinegar soak. It eats away at them leaving them dull lacking iridescence. I'd particularly skip this step if you plan on re-selling the shirts. I think the primary ingredient in this stain removing process is the Oxi rather than the vinegar. Also, if you don't already, wear gloves when working with the concentrated Oxi solution. That shit will mess up your hands.

2. Chill Dude 22

Chill Dude 22 Member

Thanks for all the help. The majority of the shirts have MOP buttons, so I will be skipping the vinegar for sure

3. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Fellas, its a thrifting miracle! That is, unless you're DM7 in which case its just another day. Anyways, about a month ago I came across a GRAIL find for my area. It was a solid gray Isaia suit that appeared fairly recent, with flat front pants and side vents. The best part was, it fit my 6'3, 190 lbs frame very well without a single dollar spent on tailoring.[​IMG]

I figured that find was literally a once in a lifetime deal. However, never doubt the power of thrifting! Today, I visited the same store, and low and behold I found its twin! Another one in solid brown, and from the same owner! It fits me just as well as the first if not better. I cannot even express how shocking and amazing this is for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not familiar with Isaia labels. If anyone could date these approximately, I would really appreciate it. I'm also curious if anyone knows what the retail value would have been.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

I had a very frustrating evening, in spite of finding an Oxxford SC and a Golden Fleece overcoat. I had to leave behind two Golden Fleece orphaned jackets, a BB Makers and an old style 346 3/2 sack, both orphaned. Not one of the pants to be found. They would have loved them at the trad trading forum. But, as I said, there was some reward. Mint condition Golden Fleece overcoat in a gray herringbone. There is no fabric content tag, but from the feel its either a wool/cashmere blend or lambswool. 42 R and is available. And an Oxxford SC in a brown/white beige/tan check. Its marked a 41 R and is also available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. valium

valium Senior member

okay i need to adress this DM7 phenomenon,i have been thrifting hardcore a long time so something doesnt add up.
    and dude im not accusing you of anything and you certainly dont owe us any explanations what so ever.
    but i have a hypothesis.

FACTS:dude continously scores close to a dozen HIGH end items a day,almost every day.
    so,quick google search reveals the locations in LA (not that many),plus hes a student so it has to be close to schools.
    so lets take into account that there are also other rmembers here form LA that must have crossed paths with the stores that have NEVER found this shit,the laws of probability just are against this.
    someone one who thrifts in that city must have by now at least hit on a few of those items,but they havent...why not.

Hypothesis:either dude is literally there 9-9 waiting as the rack rolls out (these are called vultures where i thrift,we got four of these humps waiting for gold and silver to come out..literally,and it does)
    he has incredible luck,but the odds are just against this think about it.
    he has a deal set up with someone who runs the store that gives him a heads up via text or holds the shit for him

again,no envy or judgement here.you do what you gotta do and all the power to you...BUT as someone who thrifts and many of you other guys who even hit jackpots on a regular basis,shit just doesnt add up.
    Nope.

(edit,note the use of the return key in my paragraph)

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yesterday's Catch up post.

Leather Billfold, Cigar Holder, Flask for my friend

[​IMG]

BB Trench with zip out wool lining. Made by Whaling Manufacturing Co. 48R
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BB DB Flannel Chalk Stripe 40R
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BB SC 46R
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BB 3 Roll 2 SC 42L
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BB 346 SC 44L
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Nick Hilton Flannel Chalkstripe 46
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

These are DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE...

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Almost forgot. Got 9 pairs of cuff links today. Nothing really remarkable.

[​IMG]

Anyone named George, or know someone named George who wants these?
    [​IMG]

9. tben

tben Senior member

Very cool, I found a travel cigar case a couple of weeks ago. To the golf course it will go!

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Nice finds! Isaia is one of my favorite labels. Those labels were used right before they changed to the all red label, and then later added a border around the label. So, basically they are only 1 label-style-change old. I'd say they were made between 2002-2005. When I find two suits with no visual flaws, I always turn the store upside down or keep coming back consecutively. Chances are he donated more suits/jackets and probably some shirts and ties too. Someone doesn't just donate one or two perfectly good suits that are only 6-ish years old. He probably did a closet cleaning.

12. elev8rz

elev8rz Senior member

Can one of you gentlemen tell em about what I've found here?

Says: Bespoke Grade, Made in England, Barrie Ltd. .... as in Chester Barrie?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strap completely wraps around the upper.
    [​IMG]

I'm having my shoe repair shop dress and clean them. Should come out looking like champs.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ Not Chester Barrie - and the style is called a jodhpur.

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Tonight yielded some LV sneakers, a woolrich sportcoat ($1), some AE tassel loafers ($1), a Zegna shirt, and two BB makers ties. Ties are available for you guys, will get a pic shortly.

What's the best way to clean rubber?

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Check here...I think near the begining of the thread.
    http://www.styleforum.net/forum/newestpost/291539

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.