• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

goneAWOL

Reaction score
Picked up a few things today... Not usually a Hugo Boss guy but this looked pretty recent (I could be totally off) and the RLPL I left behind last week was 50% off this week so had to pick it up even with all its defects (wear and holes).

I've picked up a few recent Hugo Boss SC's. The more recent ones moved from the canvas size tags to the black computer printed "newer" looking size tags. I thought the once I've picked up had pretty nice fabric and patterns, and one of them has become a staple in my wardrobe.

workthatwedo

Reaction score
Now he can't claim he is so poor he doesn't have a pot to piss in anymore.

Are you familiar with a scene from Lampoons' European Holiday where Clark Griswold is brushing his teeth in their European 'relations' house?
What you have there is called a chamber pot.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
I've picked up a few recent Hugo Boss SC's. The more recent ones moved from the canvas size tags to the black computer printed "newer" looking size tags. I thought the once I've picked up had pretty nice fabric and patterns, and one of them has become a staple in my wardrobe.
I think this is the older "canvas" tag? Can you post a picture of the newer one? Thanks

goneAWOL

Reaction score
I think this is the older "canvas" tag? Can you post a picture of the newer one? Thanks

This is the tag off one of my SC's, which I assume is newer. I guess I'm not positive that all newer ones look like this, because this one doesn't have a model name (einstein, rossellini, etc). And I lied... its white not black.

EDIT: I guess it does have a model name. I never saw the Pasolini at the bottom.

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying is fun, selling I get lazy.

THIS is exactly my problem. My brother's coming to visit in two weeks and our second bedroom is full of ties, sportcoats, trousers and shoes. My wife is away this weekend, so I might have a listing day on Sunday.

If youse guys will permit an ebay question: Is there anything wrong with creating a second ebay account (or can it be done?)? I know I'd lose all the feedback on my current one (I guess I could just say in the posting, "This is me, it's just my other account. Bid with confidence!"), but I keep hitting the you've-tried-to-sell-too-many-X limits, and it's annoying. I don't sell enough to go the store route.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the tag off one of my SC's.

This is the same tag that was on a HB suit I sold recently that was uber, uber recent (single breast with peak lapel, dual vent, flat front).

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
THIS is exactly my problem. My brother's coming to visit in two weeks and our second bedroom is full of ties, sportcoats, trousers and shoes. My wife is away this weekend, so I might have a listing day on Sunday.

If youse guys will permit an ebay question: Is there anything wrong with creating a second ebay account (or can it be done?)? I know I'd lose all the feedback on my current one (I guess I could just say in the posting, "This is me, it's just my other account. Bid with confidence!"), but I keep hitting the you've-tried-to-sell-too-many-X limits, and it's annoying. I don't sell enough to go the store route.

What are these "you tried to sell too many X limits? I would imagine its not kosher to start a new ebay account to bypass some restriction...

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How many things have you sold? It looks like only a few. I don't understand why you ge those crazy limits...perhaps you are very very limited in the beginning these days. Did you try calling customer service? I had some limits listed on ties a while back, but my limit was like 10 or 15. Of course I already had nearly 1000 feedback.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many things have you sold? It looks like only a few. I don't understand why you ge those crazy limits...perhaps you are very very limited in the beginning these days. Did you try calling customer service? I had some limits listed on ties a while back, but my limit was like 10 or 15. Of course I already had nearly 1000 feedback.

For the first 90 days you're limited to 25 items listed in any 30 day moving window in some categories, one of which is men's clothing. It's a pain. They won't even talk to you about it for the first 60 days.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For the first 90 days you're limited to 25 items listed in any 30 day moving window in some categories, one of which is men's clothing. It's a pain. They won't even talk to you about it for the first 60 days.

It doesn't look like he has even listed that much yet. That has to be frustrating.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I think this is my issue. But I've been on ebay since 2007 and have been selling for more than 90 days, so maybe it also has to do with feedback. I think ebay also got pissed about the Chanel tie and has decided it hates me. I think the only limit I have right now has to do with ties, but who knows what else I'll run into this weekend (I have a lot of stuff to post). I guess the easiest solution is to go into the B&S megathread business so many of you have embraced.

But I apologize for ebaying-up this thread. I did find something yesterday, though there are no pics. BB Golden Fleece shirt, 15.5/32, in an attractive blue and brown thin stripe with contrast collar. French cuff.

I had to pass on a tux that fit that I was sure was a Canali because of a bit of fraying on the pants. I also kept finding Pink and Vineyard Vines shirts with frayed collar points. It was a frustrating day yesterday.

This is what I keep getting:

Last edited:

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying is fun, selling I get lazy.

This x 10000000000000.

In the next few days I'll be having a "keep Vexco out of jail" sale, tho. Hopefully I can move most of what I have and raise enough money.
ffffuuuu.gif

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This x 10000000000000.

In the next few days I'll be having a "keep Vexco out of jail" sale, tho. Hopefully I can move most of what I have and stay out of jail.
ffffuuuu.gif

I think you may be doing this thrifting thing wrong... jail for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads