1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Margaret

Margaret Distinguished Member

A real heartbreaker for me today. After my trad discovery of last week, I decided to stop back by the thrift store. (The previous visit was my first.) Found a beautiful three-piece pinstriped suit from Brooks Brothers. The coat and vest fit very well, and I thought I'd found another treasure. But then I looked down and saw a gash in the sleeve. What a terrible shame. [​IMG]

How bad is the gash? A good re-weaver might be able to repair it.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

How bad is the gash? A good re-weaver might be able to repair it.

It was reweavable, but it seemed like such an expense and hassle. The gash was in a conspicuous location, so I was nervous about how it would turn out. And the lining of the coat and vest had just enough wear to put me off. A shame, because the exterior, overall, looked great.

3. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

Today, just a few odds and ends: two bespoke--and perfectly fitting--Charvet french-cuff shirts in a light blue weave ($3.99 each); oatmeal colored cable-knit crewneck Scottish cashmere sweater by Oxxford ($6.99); Hermes orange cashmere pullover with the label cut out (could be the real deal, $4.99). Also, the complete New Yorker (1925-2005) on eight dvd-roms ($3.99). The early bird gets the worm!
    btw, the tweed suit did indeed turn out to be Davies & Son from 1974 (found a tag on the inseam of the pants).

4. mack11211

mack11211 Distinguished Member

A nice APC black wool blazer, notch lapels, 3B front, my size. About $8.

5. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Today, just a few odds and ends: two bespoke--and perfectly fitting--Charvet french-cuff shirts in a light blue weave ($3.99 each); oatmeal colored cable-knit crewneck Scottish cashmere sweater by Oxxford ($6.99); Hermes orange cashmere pullover with the label cut out (could be the real deal, $4.99). Also, the complete New Yorker (1925-2005) on eight dvd-roms ($3.99). The early bird gets the worm!
    btw, the tweed suit did indeed turn out to be Davies & Son from 1974 (found a tag on the inseam of the pants).

i hate the fact that Charvet shirts and Oxxford cashmere are your slow days.

6. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

You bastard. I hate you. {jealous}

7. Swann

Swann Senior Member

Same here. [​IMG]

8. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

And a $500 or whatever set of CDs

9. coachvu

coachvu Senior Member

And a $500 or whatever set of CDs

Well, $70, but still a great deal.

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I've gotten past the jealousy for pejsek, and simply stand in awe. It's like watching Michael Jordan play basketball.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

Belvest "black label," double breasted wool overcoat in a light shade of navy blue. Minimal lining, fall/spring weight. Belted. Patch flap pockets. Originally from Louis Boston. Totally awesome. 20% of retail price. Still a chunk of change, but it's gorgeous. Pictures to come.

12. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Well, $70, but still a great deal.
    Actually now that I check it's down to $50 on the website. What's an order of magnitude between friends?

13. mikeynyc

mikeynyc Well-Known Member

I just picked up a light grey Brooks Brothers suit for $18. I know it's not the level of treasure many others have found but I was pretty happy.
    also grabbed a Canali 3 button blazer with a light blue window payne for $8 which belonged to the ceo of Thomson Financial (found a stack of his business cards in the pocket)

14. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Stylish Dinosaur

I found a Valentino suit for $6, glen plaid, fit me perfectly. Too bad it had a nasty stain on the bottom, otherwise I would have picked it up.

15. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

The material is still undetermined, but early indications hint that I picked up a pair of Norwegian skin-stiched dark brown shell cordovan bluchers by LF Lidfort for Barneys.

Retail: $650+
    My Price: $37

Even if they are corrected grain, they are really comfortable, albeit gunboats for jeans and heavy tweeds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.