The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grendel

grendel Senior member

Last year Gap's raw selvage denim was pretty good and I got them for $50. I went back this year and there was no raw denim and they weren't even in the same ballpark. Sad.

2. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I'd like to point you in the direction of some distilled knowledge, but my understanding of SW&D comes from an even deeper amount of research than my understanding of MC (i.e. reading this thread and some random blogs). I first started with skimming the for sale area of Superfuture and some of the denim threads there. That got me primed for high quality Made in Japan stuff. Anything after that was diving down the rabbit hole that is blogger and tumbler. Also, The Sartorialist. Grendel posted a dumb trend in SW&D, drop crotch trousers and sweat pants. There's more money than sense in SW&D, so you will be led down many dead end corridors in the maze. I like to look at "How to Talk to Girls at Parties" for inspiration. It's the blog of a very young dude who has a decent grasp on both MC and SW&D. It doesn't hurt that he's from the south, so he doesn't have that big city bravado that comes from having a trust fund and an iota of taste. The most I could do is link you to some of the touchstones of information I've drawn upon over the years, and maybe name some brands that consistently pump out well designed and well made goods.

3. acosbysweater

Buy yourself some Sugar Canes, take three years to break them in. You will thank me.

4. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

I'll take a kick at this with a top 6:

1. Selvedge Denim
    - A.P.C. New Standards are the most common choice here. I personally rock a pair of Momotaros and couldn't be happier. My opinion on denim is that if you actually plan on wearing it, get yourself a nice pair. Any brand from Blue In Green soho is a great place to start
    2. Common Projects Achilles Low
    3. Alden Indy Boots in Shell Cordovan
    4. Casual button down shirts: Wings + Horns, LVC, Our Legacy
    5. A badass jacket/sweater/etc. Be creative here
    6. Uniqlo for everything else

For all of these pieces except, check out the SW&D B&S, and SuperFuture's (is it a faux pas to mention SuFu on here?) SuperMarket

Quote: acosbysweater Sugar Canes are good shit. For a cheaper alternative, I'm pretty sure RRL Selvedge is sourced from the Sugar Cane factory. Also, on the opposite side of the fence is Samurai, which fades rather quickly (not at quickly as A.P.C., but Samurai and A.P.C. denim are not even in the same arena).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Nope, sorry. I hadn't noticed this, but it turns out to be for the larger sort. 18.25 x 35. But since you asked, here are a couple of pics.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. darkmatter7

The volume of Carroll & Co I leave behind is even more astounding. I only pick up the stuff that I know is chester barrie/oxxford, or is just astoundingly recent/high quality. I'm pretty sure that Oxxford is bepoke, but I'd need a second opinion on that. The quality is much higher than any other Oxxford I've found, and there is a pinpoint pattern behind the lapel (there must be a name for this) that I've only seen on bespoke pieces. All of the other pieces are probably Chester Barrie.

I got really excited over those Ann D.s. I actually spent an extra hour in the store looking for the second shoe to the pair. Just as I was about to give up and leave, an employee came back with the other shoe. I had an "awww yeahh" moment. Unfortunately, it's 37.5,so women's. It was priced low though, and I couldn't leave a pair of Ann D.s just sitting there.

Oh man... Noobizor... you're gonna hate me. Next to the Ann D.s were a pair of barely worn......................Jil Sander................... boots that I left there.

Yeah, wow. I can understand a lot of old wealth being in Minnesota, but people wearing Ann D, I just can't see.

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Christ. Not only are his finds much better than mine, even the things he leaves behind blows my stuff out of the water :brick:

8. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

That... is fucking awesome.

And in regards to SW&D... the stuff mentioned might be awesome, but I have to imagine it would be pretty few and far between at thrifts (feel free to prove me wrong). Probably more common to find stuff like True Religion, William Rast, Citizens of Humanity or good old 7s (which can now be had at every Winners in my city for like $70, yeesh). Although whether any of that is worth the money is another thing altogether.

9. acosbysweater

Proxyable? Are these at thrift store prices? I would love to see these...

10. darkmatter7

Women's, and $39.99.

Quote:VLSI Just keep trying [​IMG]

Speaking of Jil Sander... Does anyone want to start betting on how long it will be before one of us finds a Raf Simons Dior piece in the wild?

11. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I'm all excited to have finished studying for the night and come read a few threads on SF before bed. Now I'm too depressed to sleep. What you see in one store, hell even one rack, is better than what I see for months. Efffffffff!

12. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

As someone who isn't 22 and lives daily life somewhere between SW&D and MC, here's what I'd recommend for SW&D:

Shoes:

Pick a couple from the following: white Jack Purcells, white or black Chucks, white Supergas, Alden Indy 405 (brown chromexcel...Shell is a superior product but it lacks the classic look of the brown 405, plus it tends to look more formal than I like), Clark's desert boots (sand or beeswax or both). I'd suggest avoiding the trainer/CP look as, a nearly 30 year old, I think it conjures a "young" look.

Pants:

Everyone is recommending denim, which is great. But denim really limits your options, especially if you you are used to color matching ala MC. I'd go for a pair of mid-priced selvedge (APC NS are the obvious choice, but N&F and Nudie are certainly reasonable alternatives) and focus on chinos. I have a number of pairs of Epaulet's "rivet" chinos, which I like, but you could also look into stuff by Blue in Green, RRL officer chinos, or Wings + Horns. Try to get a couple colors: Japanese khaki and navy will be the most flexible.

Shirts/Tops:

Oxfords all the way. Gitman Vintage, BoO, WvG, APC, Epaulet, Our Legacy, Gant Rugger all work. I have shirts from all of those brands and I like them. Get a couple Fred Perry polos and some tri-blends from AA and you'll be set. As far as sweaters, how much do you want to spend? I like SNS Herning though they aren't for all body types. The fairisel look is cool for winter (Morrison does a couple nice patterns). You can find nice sweaters from any number of places...truth be told, I'm rough on wool, so I just thrift a couple decently slim cardigans each year. Zip-up sweatshirts are also nice (e.g. AA or Uniqlo).

Jacket:

Get a nice rain/water repellent parka-type jacket. I have a jacket from Victorinox that I love. A lot of people like Barbour waxed cotton jackets, but the smell takes some getting used to. I tend to dig heavy CPO type jackets as well.

If I had to pick a single, most important item, I'd probably go with chinos. A couple good pairs of chinos will likely work with a decent amount of your more casual MC stuff, so you'll really be extending your wardrobe.

13. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior member

Like a few others here, I tend to straddle the line between MC and SW&D, so I'll throw my hat in the ring.

1. Raw Selvage Denim: As stated above, APC is a great place to start, but their cut isn't for everyone. I've really fallen in love with RRL, denim and construction is top notch, and their cuts are generous enough for most builds. I picked up my pair in a Buffalo Exchange for 20 bucks, so thrifting them is possible.

2. Slim Chinos: The UNIS Gio might be SW&Ds Incotex, fit and fabric are awesome. Personally I'm saving up for a pair of the RRL Officer Chinos. There's a whole thread dedicated to them here on SF, they seem to be a great investment if you can find them on sale/eBay.

3. OCBDs: BoO and Gitman Vintage are awesome, but they fit crazy slim. IMO Thom Browne does the ultimate oxford (his are made by Gitman Bros to higher standards than the Vintage line). Pick up a few solids and stripes and you'll be good to go.

4. Shoes: Unlike a lot of SW&D guys I don't really subscribe to sneakers for the price of Aldens, although I was seriously tempted by some new YSL high tops for $150 a few months back. I'd say a pair of desert boots, a pair of lace up/side zip boots, and a pair of beater sneakers (Jack Purcells) should be a good start.

5. Casual Jackets: I love my Barbour Bedale, there's really no weather it can't handle. I'm also a big fan of Harrington jackets, although a lot of SWD guys aren't (but I have a black polyester one from Surface to Air that could convert them)

6. Sweaters: I've heard great things about SNS Herning, but i have no experience. I've got an RLBL v neck that fits the bill nicely, looking to get a nice cardigan soon, maybe a CGD PLAY

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I'm not actually resentful, no worries. I do alright, although I can't say I'm not jealous of all the NWT stuff :)

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

First, thanks to everyone for all the advice. Clearly a lot of time invested, and I, for one, sincerely appreciate it.

Second, what is most amazing about HA's post is that I'd only ever heard of one of those brands (Victorinox). I generally consider myself to be fairly "current", but clearly that's less true than I'd like. But I guess that's what you get when you buy everything from a) thrifts, b) the BR/JCrew sale racks, and c) TJMaxx clearance racks. Then again, this thread taught me plenty of MC brands I'd never heard of (and the relative value/lack thereof of brands I had) so why should I be surprised?

Finally, without derailing further, what the hell does selvedge mean in denim? Aren't they all selvedge? What the hell else would they be "edged" in -- leather? I'm sure this is an absurdly obvious question, but its puzzling to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.