The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catside

catside Senior member

Hi Frenchy

:) good luck with the photo.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

2. valium

valium Senior member

French is not one of them,but dont bother asking what they are.hey guys everybody needs a little mystery in their life so just enjoy the ride :)

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

4. valium

valium Senior member

Spoo stop playing with the google translator
    PS canada is full of immigrants so yes more then one person here knows more then one language

5. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Good or bad YSL? Made in France.

[​IMG]

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

How incredibly weird. Found that exact same YSL tag today for the first time, and was going to ask the same question. I pass on the YSL stuff all the time, but this one seemed nicer (side vented, French made, natural shoulders, hand sewn lapels). Didn't have any "Rive Gauche" marking (which I already know is the good stuff), but seemed older, so maybe pre-licensing? Would also love to know the answer to this one.

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Yea it seemed a little nicer than the usual but I still passed. If it is real though, I'd love to know within the next 40 minutes :D

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:slayer::slayer:

Wow - crazy! I love B&W stuff. High-end audio is tough to come by in thrift stores. Seems like there are 10 times more flippers for electronics than there are for men's clothing.

I like a lot of the newer Gant stuff. The Rugger line is geared towards the younger crowd and has some really nice, slim fits.

:wow: :lurk:

So tempting.....Must resist......

9. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

The volume of Carrol and Co. stuff you find is astounding, but Ann D. boots in a thrift?!!? That's an oldish label, but the brand is coveted by nearly all SW&D folks and known to those who buy quality brands of any sort. Not that these are going to avoid the black hole that is your insanely fortunate eBay partner, but what size are they?

Noobizor will flip 'is shit when he sees these as well, may even post a string of animated gifs.

10. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

speaking of SW&D: is there a thread somewhere on that side that has some sort of "top 10 essential SW&D pieces for someone just starting out" or something like that? i've been wanting to improve my weekend wardrobe, but dunno where to start. if there's no thread like that, maybe between you SW&D-minded thrifters can put something together for us older heads? :cheers:

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

http://www.parkandbond.com/product/124711991

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

The SW&D section of SF is rather diver, so no there's really nothing like that. If you want cheap, easy style just check out reddit's MFA; they're a much more homogeneous community, albeit not nearly as well dressed.

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I was out of town on business. My meetings ended early, and so I hit a couple of stores. Not much bragworthy: a BR shirt with real, thick and BR branded MOP buttons that I will strip (and then reuse the relatively cool stripey shirt fabric to make an accent pillow or something). Also found a really nice Gitman Bros (my first) tux shirt in relatively good shape, real MOP buttons in a nice contrasting smokey gray (though not where the studs are supposed to go). I also found three sets of Allen Edmonds shoe trees and talked the clerk into selling them to me for less than a fiver each. :fonz:

Keeping them for now, but the Gitman is available. I can measure it up and photograph it if anyone is interested.

+1. And decent jeans to buy. I had a pair that fit me really, really well (will NOT say the brand; :embar:) that recently crapped the bed.

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

Interested in the Gitman if it's around a 16x34

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+1. I've only found one Ann D. piece ever. It was a black button-down shirt. It blew my mind that I even found Ann D. in Minnesota.

Not that I know of, but the first essential piece IMO is denim. Get a pair of nice fitting, raw selvedge denim jeans. KMW, Jean Shop, The Stronghold, APC and even J.Crew has some really nice offerings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.