Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valium

valium Senior member

okay so what i got today:a original signed photograph of the famous Bluenose (1) taken in 1930.if you look at the canadian dime its actually based on this picture.signed by W.R MacAskill himself.having a few people in the know look into the value etc,but they are pretty optimistic just from the pics.i paid thirty bucks,tstay tuned...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

At least I've heard of Picasso [​IMG]

3. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    I will throw in $15 for half the profit. [​IMG]

4. valium

valium Senior member

lol,yeah but a Picasso and a Picasso print are two very differnt things...this thing could fetch up to $7-$10K im being told

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

6. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

There is no mini button on the other side like one of my 3 roll 2s. However, buttoning up the top button doesn't look natural with the lapels.

Generous but not billowy in the thigh area. Can't pull off the tight khaki look anymore :(.

29" from bottom of collar to end of coat. I can PM you other measurements if interested. Also, the model of the coat is "Bond Street"

7. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

I've tried to piece together the puzzle that is Valium. I can't. FWIW, here are the pieces:

Usually has one [or more?] asian women, in his bed, calling [cooing?] his name.
    Has a seemingly extensive grasp of high art, but gives absolutely zero fucks about grammar and the like
    Has an unconventional approach to the "return" button and its uses
    Could be Frenchy, could be someone other than Frenchy
    Seems to spend much of his time hanging around storage units.

Good on you, sir. You are an enigma wrapped in a conundrum. I hope that sailboat picture nets you some dough

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

8. Madroaster

Madroaster Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but $7-10K seems to be quite beyond the range of what his signed photos fetch. Their value seems to hover in the low hundreds for signed photos. It may be that yours was actually signed by him, though, which could have an impact on the value. His wife signed most of his prints for him. It seems like if you can get $7K for it you should jump at the chance; there are a lot of these out there and the market will be flooded by the news.

9. valium

valium Senior member

lol,i have two excuses for at least two of your points,English is actually my 4th language...and its the interrnets!!!!!!!!!
    grammar to the internet is what j.crew is to fashion (RETURN)
    anyway thanks for wishing me luck

10. valium

valium Senior member

you could be right,you could be wrong...thats what experts are for.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This is a great line.

12. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    I like this. [​IMG]

13. valium

valium Senior member

TM

14. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

I've been so wrapped up with working full-time and finishing grad school over the past year that I only occasionally get to drop in and lurk. Still, from what I've seen I have it pretty good in Dallas. I live in an older neighborhood fairly close to downtown and there are 6 thrift stores within a 1 mile radius of my house. If you extend it out to 5 miles you can add 10 more. All produce relatively consistantly. I have 6 close enough to my office across town to hit on my lunch hour.

I would say it's the combination of Dallas being extremely superficial and concerned with outward displays of wealth and the fact that not too many men shop here so their wives do it for them. I have one particular spot (don't bother asking) that consistently prodices NWT stuff: the wife buys it, it hangs in the closet unworn, and then she eventually gives it to this one particular thrift. For example, just a few weeks ago I snagged a BNWT's Brioni sportcoat there for $20. It's 3B and unvented so I know it can't be too recent (though the gorge, button stance, and shoulder width tell me it's not a 90's leftover either) but it still had the tags and basting stitches on it. It looks like some lady bought it for her husband at Stanley Korshak and he never even bothered to put it on. Must be nice...

I will be moving to Utah next May and from what I've seen the thrifting is pretty sparse up there. If any of you guys are interested my house will be on the market soon and an in-depth tour of all of my favorite spots is included in the purchase price - of course, only after you close on the house.:smarmy:

15. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

Hit up a couple of stores today did pretty well by my standards...but here are my lowly finds compared to the superstars of the board...

Good condition Hanover shell cordovan longwings sz 10.5 D

[​IMG]

Recrafted black AE penny loafers, Sz 12.5 B

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My 1st pair of Church's, custom grade tassel loafers, some wear, sz 8e I believe, probably keeping for now as they fit...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Brooks 346 staple charcoal pinstripe suit, very nice condition, sz 41L....if it was an R it would be staying with me, but its not.....
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers brownish check SC, size 43 R

[​IMG]

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming of amazing finds that puts most antiques or pickers TV shows to shame........[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.