The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Nice score on the Olivetti. I used to focus on vintage typewriters in my abay store. I have flipped a few Olivettis. They always do well.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

2. valium

valium Senior member

have you ever heard of their chairs? i never knew...but it makes sense,you need something to sit on when typing lol.its so goddamn comfortable

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:nodding:

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Found my first Kiton today. First Kiton anything (besides a pair of orphan suit trousers if you can even count those as it's technically half a garment) I've ever found at a thrift. This is coming from someone who has been thrifting steadily for nearly 10 years. It's a blue striped dress shirt. Spread collar. 16 1/2. Collar fold has some wear. The guy loved his shirts. Figure I'll pass it onto someone who wants to swap the collar/cuffs out for some contrasting ones. Also picked up a recent Isaia Napoli dress shirt in similar condition. Pink striped. Besides that, it was a bust today. Pics upon request as the stuff isn't that special.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yeah.. In my research on various typewriter makers I found that many of them were actually furniture makers who wanted to make some extra money selling in the latest things. People were already there to get their furniture for the office, why not sell them everything they needed .

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I predict several people buy complete crap old shit as a result of this post. Haha. The same disclaimer with clothes stands: know wtf you're doing before you pump a lot of money into this. I won't even try since I just don't have the background knowledge about this non-clothes stuff that you guys do..

'grats on popping your Kiton cherry!!

7. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

Thanks for expanding my horizon!

It seems easy to fall into the same thrifting routine. After seeing your posts, it is apparent that there are substantial opportunities outside of the "normal" apparel searches that all of us seem to be doing. While I will still focus on the apparel side of this game, I am already spending more time shopping the other items in my current haunts. The next step is to seek out other venues that may offer a variety of new treasures.

8. amadar

amadar Senior member

Congrats Nataku. I know Kiton has been your white whale, and while the find isn't spectacular, at least you can check that off of your list :nodding:

9. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Toronto/GTA PSA:

Local radio station Virgin 99.9 is doing a promotion with Value Village to get people to donate their "coolest" stuff for a chance to win money. The contest ends at the end of summer, so whoever it was that was asking about stuff for his teenage daughter... this might be a bonanza.

http://toronto.virginradio.ca/ValueVillage/submit.aspx

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Congrats, Nat! Next time a vicuna suit, ok? :)

11. SpooPoker

Uhoh isn't valium in Canada?

12. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

This looks like a "fixed asset" sticker to me rather that a manufactures serial number. My guess is that the chair may have been used in an Olivetti sales office and the sticker was applied by accounting to track their fixed assets for verification, depreciation, taxes, etc. As a CPA I have seen a lot of these type of tags on a lot of office property. . .

13. valium

valium Senior member

i think you are right

14. valium

valium Senior member

i got enough money...what i NEED is cool stuff :)

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:wow: Crazy!!
    Cool find! WWII stuff is getting very tough to find. The hardest stuff to find is Vietnam era camo, though. I've only come across a few M-1943 parkas and a couple wool Ike jackets from WWII.
    Awesome finds. Love the desk chair!
    Thanks guys! Yeah, It really isn't much different than other dress shirts such as Brioni, Isaia, Borrelli, etc. It is nice to finally find a Kiton-something, though. It's sort of a rite of passage for a thrifer to find their first Kiton in the wild.
    Thanks! I can always dream! :laugh: The thing about thriting is you never know. Here's to hoping. :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.