1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Definitely don't send. If it were me, I would write the apology letter, put it through a couple google translations then send while making sure to mention I was a Nigerian price who had untold fortunes if only he could wire me additional monies so I may escape my captors.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

It represents an ebay seller getting f'ed in the ass* and donkey punched by an ebay buyer.

*With no reacharound.

3. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

Good on you, brother.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

FTFY

5. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

FRENCHY:

I need a desk chair. Thoughts?

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Good info, negative feedback it will be for me given it is the lesser of two evils.

Classy :laugh: !

As hmmurdock implied, it is an eBay seller getting shafted with a John Homes sized pole in the backside.

In a less graphic way, it is simply a Paypal procedure where Paypal holds funds on your account when a buyer complains an item received is not as described - a common excuse that buyers would use when trying to get a silly refund due to buyers remorse or applying a fraud. Of course a buyer could have a legit reason, i.e. bad seller misrepresenting his items as being better than reality or the item claimed authentic in auction page when it is not.

7. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

Stands for "significantly not as described." Sellers may state that they do not take returns, but eBay "enforces" returns when buyers file a SNAD claim, even if the seller has a no returns policy.

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

PSA, boys. The dye used in Zanella Platinum unicorn xharcoals is not Oxy xolor safe, and will turn your soak a blood color.

In other news today, the world has one fewer unicorns than yesterday. I feel like the murder I am.

On the upside, the local got an HF custom light blue with LP wool. May be beyond repair, but the white mop buttons are spectacular. Oh, and a hand full of (Burberry, Hermes and VV).

That is all. Carry on as you were.

9. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Eazy's look on his says it all:

"I can't believe this hot chic is with me...and she even knows I buy my clothes used!!!!!! "

10. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

LOL. Props Eazy.

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

No, the sport coat would be fashionably small -- and bright -- hence the lulz!

(I know I've seen you in Technicolor, don't deny :laugh: )

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Wasn't she twelve in Labyrinth? :hide:

13. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

3 observations upon last 3 weeks of thrifting:

+ J Riggings has surpassed Ron Chereskin, Mr. Stafford and that dink Oscar De La Renta as my chief enemy on the racks. I think it's somehow breeding when the lights go off and the doors get locked.

+ Whomever observed some time ago that Pink shirts all seem to have frayed collars put a pox on them. Every single one (probably now in the hundreds) I've seen since? Frayed.

+ With this heatwave, no one wants sweaters. Cashmere, Alpaca, good stuff just there for the picking. Also, for some reason, I'm witnessing lots of Banana Republic sweaters and shirts (OK, lots is an exaggeration: average of one piece per store) with upside down labels. New, some NWT. Do you guys see these "rejects" or is this a new development? It's just...weird. Suddenly popping up everywhere.

14. tben

tben Senior member

Thanks for narrowing that down...professor of what?

15. Randy

Randy Senior member

Sartorial Anthropology

1 person likes this.
  16. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

:embar:

i'm pretty sure that was me

17. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

Virtual high five and ass slap to _Achilles. He hooked me up with a killer charcoal Zileri Sartoriale suit and a pair of mid gray Chester Barrie FF wool pants. :slayer:
    It's my first experience with a Zileri Sartoriale in person - shit is nice and currently at the tailor getting fine tuned.

18. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I have one negative feed back out of nearly 300 and it still grates the hell out of me.

Here's what I would do.

Above anything else, be absolutely honest and transparent. Write back to him and tell him that you are inclined not to consummate the deal, and tell him exactly why: There is no way to check his feedback and his command of the language makes you suspicious. If he gets pissed off, so be it, but make sure you provide an out. Suggest a way to make the transaction work, with one unconditional demand: You must be able to check his feedback and record on eBay. Explain, as nicely as possible, that you have been burned before, that $400 is a lot of money and that you just can't take the risk with these circumstances. Butter him up but good, but make it crystal clear that whatever you are sending, if it gets sent, will be documented a hundreds times over, which, unfortunately, will not protect you in the event he complains about non-existent odors. As a final out, say that you're canceling the transaction because you just don't feel comfortable, and send him five or ten bucks for his trouble. Then re-list, with instructions to bidders based on all of the above stuff: No sales to folks with private feedback without prior checking, etc.

In my experience, it is best to listen to your gut. If your gut is telling you to beware, you'd best beware.

Good luck.

19. concealed

concealed Senior member

negative feedbacks go away after a year FYI

1 person likes this.
  20. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Yes, I've also been doing well on sweaters. A simply gorgeous heavy Scottish wool one with Harris Tweed-esque colors today, as well as a made-in-England old-school LE saddle-shoulder crew neck, the kind that gives Press et al a run for their money. Also a Scottish woolen tweed tie in perfect narrow proportion. And finally, a nice HT sport coat with a barleycorn weave that is positively kaleidoscope when you get up close, lots of browns and purples and reds and greens. Other than that, relatively dry, although I did score an Olivetti Lettera 36 complete with case for three bucks yesterday, made in Germany. Discovered after purchase that it isn't worth much (I really need to get a smart phone), but I've bet far more on ponies with fewer prospects. If it doesn't flip, I won't be out much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.