The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GHo

GHo Senior member

the red striped one? I fucking missed the end of the bidding on the Ben Silver red one yesterday. Wanted.

2. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

I can't imagine a bespoke suit fitting significantly better than a professionally altered off the rack suit that was the your size to begin with. I've always thought of Bespoke things as more of a status symbol or pride type of thing, kind of like a custom ordered Lambo, rather than something you would get for better "fit". So yes, I would say that you could reasonably expect a 6 buck find come close to a bespoke Brioni, given that you have the ridiculous luck to find a bespoke Brioni close to your size in the first place.

3. preppycanada

preppycanada New Member

Thanks, that was the conclusion which I had come to in my own mind, but just wanted to see if others shared my opinion. At the moment, the big news in men's fashion is this stand-off between tailoring and designers.
    Tailors are naturally pushing bespoke product and hyping the value of bespoke and tailoring, whereas designers are constantly pushing new fashions and diffusion lines.
    Myself, I like quality garments that fit well.
    It seems to be a no-brainer that thrifts are a great place to pick up high-quality men's garments, then have them altered professionally or by yourself ( I have Mary Roehr's Altering men's ready to wear).
    You can build up an absolutely awesome wardrobe for pennies, and then the money you have saved by not buying retail, you can get a nice 80's 911 Carrera. Not pretentious, and a bulletproof boxer 6 motor

4. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Yes, those will go for a ton, especially, I think, in Japan, and especially if you have the box. I got $150 for a pair of used EC vintage shoes without breaking a sweat about a year ago that were, IIRC, around a 10.

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I actually disagree somewhat. For people with really standard body types this may be true, but for someone like myself with a very odd body type (freakishly wide shoulders, very long torso, very narrow waist and small chest), even the best fitting off the rack items still leave a bit to be desired, and tailoring can only do so much. For example, in terms of 'standard" otr measurements, a 41L is probably a perfect fit in the chest and jacket length for me...but invariably, the shoulders that are typical on a 41" chest jacket end up being way too narrow at 18.5-19" (I'm ~20" in shoulders). I could size-up to a 42-43L to get the broader shoulders, but the chest on them ends up being too big, and the waist doesn't look as good when I get it suppressed since it's naturally bigger to start with.

I think I'm exactly the kind of person who would see significant improvements in overall fit from a bespoke vs. otr tailored suit.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Nice.. I sold a pair of similar Florsheims which were several years older, but extremely beat up for $300 a while back. They went almost immediately via BIN. If you should decide ot sell them, they will do quite well.

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

don't you want to walk in your daddies boots?

8. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

your words are like a dagger through my heart. hello? NWOT epaulet trousers? APC trench? :violin:

9. preppycanada

preppycanada New Member

Hi AndroFan

Cool. Yes, I understand your point completely. It all makes sense now. The governing factor is the body type and morphology. If your body proportions greatly deviate from the majority, then an off the peg garment will need many major alterations such as shoulders, collar and side seams.This can get expensive.
    I guess I have lucky in that regard. I am shorter- 5'8" with short arms, normal chest, normal shoulders. Althletic build, but most off the peg stuff tends to fit well. At most sleeve shortening.
    I have found some great jackets, sportcoats, and blazers at thrifts - paying between 3 bucks and 6 bucks max per jacket. I have found Zegna, Armani, Daks, Baumler, Tombolini, Hugo Boss, Hilfiger, All of them fit well on the chest and shoulders, looks like bespoke, just minor shortening to do on the sleeves on some of them.
    I find the drop on European jackets perfect for me.
    Except for Canali, they tend to be more like the American Brooks Brothers sack profile.
    I saw a Brioni DB jacket two days ago, way too big for me. Mint condition. I think I will go back and get it just to study it. 6 bucks. The craftsmanship was incredible. The buttons alone are a work of art.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Definitely pick the Brioni DB up. There's a very active behind-the-scenes trading scene here, so after you pick it up, post pictures of it to brag and label it as "available" along with your size, and I'm sure someone who is interested will message you offering to trade you something great in your size.

Who cares, it's something interesting and tangentially relevant. More inane and unrelated topics have certainly been discussed at length here.

Quote:

12. tenloe

tenloe New Member

Hi, I'm a new member and first time poster. I just picked these Alden Original Tassel Moccasins in superb condition at my local thrift store for $10. I'm over the moon and just had to share it with someone. My wife just doesn't get this sort of thing. I only found the left shoe and they had to hunt in the back of the shop to find the right one for me. I was so nervous that they weren't going to find it and that I would have to leave empty handed. They also had two burgundy Ferragamo tasseled loafers but they were a mismatched pair. They took my number down and will call me if/when they find the missing other halves. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

13. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

OK, so this isn't a big deal for some of you, but this is a white-whale find for me. In these parts, seven-folds are as rare as happy Braves fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I had to buy the BB Makers tie in order to get the price tag to $4, which is apparently close enough to the $5 minimum on credit card purchases.)

14. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Nice, and not just rare for you; I've actually only ever found 1 seven fold...but it was a Kiton, so I guess that makes it ok. [​IMG]

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I've only ever found one 7 Fold here too. It was a Robert Talbot and ugly enough to wipe my dogs ass with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.