• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It feels quite nice and thick actually. The name badge is also bound to the back with four individual corner stitches, as opposed to being machine stitched all the way across (often, crookedly), which I haven't seen on lower end ties. Basically, if it weren't for the weird glitteriness of the badge and the lack of a content label, I wouldn't be doubting its authenticity at all.

Unless it feels like crap, I'd vote that it's real.

Last edited:

s_allen_p

Reaction score
I was home for Easter weekend and showing my Dad some boots I'm saving up for. He said, "Your grandma gave me a pair like that and they've been sitting in a box in the closet for years" He came back with these:

Unworn Vintage (1939) Edwin Clapp boots. Original receipt and everything. Thankfully these are Sz 8AA, and I'm 8D, so I'll never be tempted to wear them. Unfortunately I forgot to bring them back with me, so I'm sure they're back in the closet. At least I them stuffed them and they're ready for my next visit/rescue.

There were some women's boots from the 20s (you can see a sliver of one in the background of one pic) in the box as well. Ridiculously tiny.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Remember when I told you I get more than retail sometimes?
Well....
:nodding: Cant say I'm not floored.

tumblr_lxeblmUqn31qdlkgg.gif

LooknGr8

Reaction score

+1

I'm currently rocking PSB Bookshelfs, an HRT DAC (the most important piece), one of Velodyne's higher end subs (forgot the model), and an old Denon receiver.  It kicks ass.  Total cost to me was $175.  (If you couldn't tell, audio has been a hobby of mine much longer than thrifting)

Anyways... my point is... Take the $1500 (or more if you wait on it), build a nicer sounding system on the cheap, and pocket the money.  Just my $.02

Nice rig. I am stunned how Craigslist, etc -- and general brand ignorance, sort of like what we're doing in the clothing category -- makes good sounding audio gear available for dirt cheap. I think the MP3 and the total domination of overseas (I won't say CHinese, because there are some decent Chinese goods out there, and they are by no means the only offender -- although they do offend quite a bit) goods has recalibrated the average person's music playback expectations.

Adcom? What's Adcom? Paradigm speakers? What are THEY? They are available used for what you'd used to pay for bargain basement Crutchfield starter rigs, that's what. Along with our thrift fit pix we should apparently put put pix of thrift (I'll count Craigslist) rigs, too, ha

Furthermore, the rise of the surround system (ugh, so many of them have garbage speakers) has liberated some very very nice stereo hi-fi gear out there in the used world. Also, for those who like it loud (like me in my basement lifting weights, ha!) the rise of the digital DJ system has liberated some sweet analog boards/power amps/EV speakers PA systems...:) I wasn't going to buy one, really, but $250 for 600 watts a channel with a Crown amp and these monstrous EVs that sound crisp and sweet...I've got some beef behind my iPod when I start doing the bench presses.

Our house is loaded with pre owned audio gear, all 3 floors, with AirPort Expresses. This is science fiction crap I dreamed of as a teenager. I don't have the vinyl fetish, but I understand/appreciate you people who do.

+1 on what was said above re: the salability and lack of listenability of Bang & Olufsen. What a scam, those systems were. Worth a lot more in someone else's hands than your own. IF you can flip them and pocket good money, that is the way to go. They sure look great, they always did.

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score
Andro,
My only Ricci tie also has weird hand stitching and a loose thread that is not coming apart, but is loose and unkempt. I can only attribute it to a bad day by one of Ricci's tiemakers. Very nice puffiness and heft, though. In other words, yours is probably real.

preppycanada

Reaction score
Good Morning guys !

Just wanted to know. Has anyone ever found a truly bespoke suit or jacket at a thrift store, that actually fit them PERFECTLY, and I mean like a glove. So this meaning to say, if one found a bespoke Brioni suit or blazer at a thrift, and it actually fit like the original client, would this be like finding the motherlode?

Comments^

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
S Allen P's Boot Find
I was home for Easter weekend and showing my Dad some boots I'm saving up for. He said, "Your grandma gave me a pair like that and they've been sitting in a box in the closet for years" He came back with these:
Unworn Vintage (1939) Edwin Clapp boots. Original receipt and everything. Thankfully these are Sz 8AA, and I'm 8D, so I'll never be tempted to wear them. Unfortunately I forgot to bring them back with me, so I'm sure they're back in the closet. At least I them stuffed them and they're ready for my next visit/rescue.

There were some women's boots from the 20s (you can see a sliver of one in the background of one pic) in the box as well. Ridiculously tiny.

I love stuff like this. Your usual thrift store finds are great too. :D

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Good Morning guys !

Just wanted to know. Has anyone ever found a truly bespoke suit or jacket at a thrift store, that actually fit them PERFECTLY, and I mean like a glove. So this meaning to say, if one found a bespoke Brioni suit or blazer at a thrift, and it actually fit like the original client, would this be like finding the motherlode?

Comments^

troll-web.jpg

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
Went to the beach for a wedding this weekend and had 15 minutes to peruse. Much more successful than any 15 min browse that I do in my hometown stores. I picked up all of these in haste and could possibly be off on the last two.

Alden Shell Cordovan Tassel Loafer - 10B/D Style #563

Gucci(?) Loafer - Marked 45 1/2 These felt absolutely remarkable and at first I didnt see any tag/marking. Upon further review I think the tag on the interior sole is Gucci.

Stuart McGuire - 10D Burgundy

After googling around when I got back to hotel I realize that I should have left these on the rack. Oh well I'll see what I can do with them

I finally found a grey glenplaid suit with a MAGENTA/PURPLE overcheck. with a bit of tailoring it should be perfect for my wedding. so i was
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score

They are 8B (size listed as 8 AA|B indicates AA heel, B width). A B width makes them wearable for more people. Those have ebay goldmine written all over them. Fantastic shoes!

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what BP's talking about, since nothing about this looks trollish to me, so I'll answer seriously: I've found a few bespoke pieces that weren't exactly "perfect" for me, but I know others have. And with a very good tailor, there's really a negligible difference between a piece that fits you like a glove because it was made for you, and one that was already incredibly close but just needs some relatively easy fixes (longer sleeves, let the waist out/in, etc.). There are a few things that are just impossible to fix perfectly, so those are the aspects you're really looking for to be perfect already when you pick the item up (shoulders, jacket length, chest size).

I define a "motherload" piece as any Brioni/Kiton/etc. that's workable in your size, so yes, I guess technically one that was MTM for someone your exact body type would be the motherload of the motherload.

Good Morning guys !

Comments^

Last edited:

preppycanada

Reaction score
Hi AndroFan!

Thanks for understanding.
The point that I wanted to get to was that: Does there seem to be an unjustified premium put on bespoke garments?
Say for example that a bespoke Brioni suit may cost you 15,000-50,000 dollars. OK, yes it is made to fit to your body and your body alone.
But then say you bought a Brioni suit off the peg for 6,00-10,000 and then had a professional tailor do the alterations.
Is it conceivable that an off the peg Brioni, altered professionally, could, to the naked eye, and to the perception and feel of the wearer, be equal to a bespoke Brioni?
Now, to the next logical thought in the mind of a thrifter like myself. Say you find a mint Brioni bespoke jacket or suit at a thrift, and I have seen them for 5-6 bucks; could I reasonably expect, with a professional tailor, to have my 6 buck find come close to a bespoke Brioni, assuming relatively minor alterations say to the cuff length, and side seams?
Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads