1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

I get a great laugh every time I enter a building with a "No Guns" sign. A) unless the building is one of the prohibited places listed in the statute, the sign has no legal consequence. B) Do they actually think Criminals are going to see the sign and go "You know, I guess I can't rob that bank anymore, they don't allow guns in there."

2. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Difference is, cars can and do serve a useful purpose. Not so with guns. Unless, you want to count killing people a useful purpose. Essentially, it boils down to a cost/benefit ratio. The cost of guns in American society far outweighs the benefit, and that's not a matter of opinion--there is no evidence whatsoever that loosening of gun-control laws has resulted in less crime and safer streets. Indeed, it's much easier to make the opposite argument. Boiled down, the more guns there are, the more they get used, and much of that use is for ill. And I hope all these folks who talk about keeping guns in their nightstands secure these firearms when kids visit. Otherwise, you're asking for something bad to happen.

Education and morality are the answer? Hardly. You cannot educate a moron. It is impossible. And just one moron with one gun can change an awful lot of lives for the worse, and forever.

Bottom line, no one needs a gun. Not so with cars. We need to get to work, we need pizzas delivered, we need, in short, to get from Point A to Point B, and we can show that motor vehicles tend to do more good than harm. But no one needs a .38 on their nightstand. If it were otherwise, then folks in Japan and England and any other number of nations with cars would also allow guns, but they do not. Because they are, sad to say, just smarter than us in a lot of ways.

Finally, you say that it is easier for someone to obtain a car than a gun. I don't know where you live, but that's not true where I live. A gun costs a lot less than a car. The licensing requirements to own a gun are a lot less restrictive than the licensing requirements to own and operate a motor vehicle. There are a lot of cops on patrol watching how folks operate cars; by contrast, gun tragedies perpetrated by morons generally come with no warning or chance of intervention. And you need insurance to drive a car, at least where I live. Any idiot can own a gun with no insurance whatsoever.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Stetson law, eh? Nice.

If you ever find yourself in Palm Beach County wanting to thrift, hit me up. I'll show you the good spots and we can hit up the two best stores separately to get a leg up on the local flippers.

4. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Again, not that I'm necessarily for or against gun ownership/carrying, but at the very least shouldn't you respect the business owner's request?

If you received an invitation to a party or wedding that specifically stated that children were not to be included, would you still bring your kids? I think of that as being a common courtesy.

Google has informed me that those signs, in some states such as missouri, do have legal repercussions.

5. Crazy-Leprechaun

Crazy-Leprechaun Member

Found a Ralph Lauren Purple label light blue shirt for 13 bucks and a Fendi tie for 18 at a new consignment shop by me. Purple label is has never been in my price range so I was pretty psyched to find it.

6. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Absolutely. Love it here and they treat me far better than I deserve. I may take you up on that offer! I have heard about this "Boutique Goodwill" but have never been there before and seriously doubt the prices could be reasonable.

Palm beach has to be thrifter's heaven. I was in Ft. Lauderdale for the 4th and stopped at one SA in Broward. I couldn't believe how high the prices were. On this coast we get tons of out dated stuff (because all the old people die I assume before it's donated) and there aren't enough flashy big spenders as by you. Are the prices in PB and WPB as bad as Broward's? We can take this to PM's since most people probably do not care about our Florida adventures.

7. 330CK

330CK Senior member

False. We don't need cars. They are a luxury. The same things can be accomplished with public transportation. Then the government could better regulate who is in control of a vehicle. That's what we want, right? The government knowing what's best for us.

You could also accomplish the same thing with walking or with a bicycle. Those same European countries you relish barely rely on cars--they rely on public transport, bikes, and walking. Cars are a luxury. Point is, it's ignorant to say a car is a necessity.

Year by year, nearly the same amount of people die from auto accidents as gun-related violence. Ban cars and we gain that many lives back!

Guns do serve a purpose. They are a hobby, some people rely on them to hunt food, and they can be used for self defense. Are there other ways to defend oneself? Of course. But I believe that should be up to that person.

Look at Switzerland, one of the very few countries that is actually doing well at the moment. England is in the shit hole. Remember those young rioters? They did a pretty good job of fucking things up without guns. Banning guns obviously doesn't stop violence. Switzerland has mandatory firearm training to its citizens and issues each of them a firearm. Please, quote me the statistics of violent crimes in Switzerland. Please.

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Little freaked out, dudes. I just checked on my trousers soaking in the Oxy. either the dye in the beige trousers ran, or one of the two was soaked in blood as well as urine.

Yergch! *[shivers]*

I'm about this close to just chucking both and washing my hands obsessively for the next 24 hours.

9. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

The gun battle going on in this thread is as expected, but calling your firearms, especially an automatic rifle, your babies is terrifying. Y'all are far from misguided gun owners, but the boner-popping mania I see people get with guns in their hands make me think there's no hope for humankind.

2 people like this.
  10. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

I will start with the legal issue first. The signs have zero weight here in Florida. The state has pre-empted ANYONE from regulating firearms in the state. That means that even state parks, cities, towns...etc are not allowed to ask you to not to bring your firearm.

Respect? Here is where I have an issue with that request. I like to think that I have very high morals. If someone asks me not bring children to their wedding, I will use my pea brain to consider the reasoning for the request. Reason one: Kids are disruptive (babies cry, children whine...etc). Two: They tend to cause havoc and break things (leading to additional expenses on the rented property). Three: the purpose of the wedding is for those having the wedding. The purpose for not having children is very clear in my eyes and not bringing children meets their purpose.

Lets look at the comparison to weapon bans by business owners. What is the purpose of banning guns? Are they worried about accidents happening? (I wear a very nice holster that protects accidents from happening. I use a gun that does not misfire even when dropped hard to the floor. When was the last time you have heard of a modern firearm discharging or an accident that occurred without some imbecile pulling the trigger? Banning me from carrying does not meet their purpose of accidents. If safety is their purpose, I would opine that myself carrying provides a tremendous amount of more safety than the business owner can provide.

Maybe they are worried about criminals? I think I have already addressed the argument that criminals rarely abide by signs on the door since they don't abide by the statutes in the books.

Finally, maybe they are worried guns will scare potential customers.The first valid argument except it's not. In Florida carrying must be concealed. Concealed means concealed, meaning that customers/guests/visitors/invitees...etc cannot see me carrying so even that argument is ineffective.

I think am a great evaluator at risks. To me, risk is the likelihood that something happens and the severity if it does. The chances I will need my firearm is slim to none (although if you have seen the zombie story here in So. Fla that chance is slowly increasing). The severity of the harm if I do need it and do not have a firearm are that I die. I like having airbags in my car for the same reason I keep one in the chamber. I hope I never get into a severe enough car accident to need airbags, but if I do, I will be happy I had them.

Edit: I really did not mean to turn this thread this off topic. I hope you guys take my banter as a gesture of enjoyment and not as any personal attack or anything. I really enjoy good discussions and hearing all sides.

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Sorry, but this is a stupid argument. Cars provide a utility that far outweighs their dangers. Guns do not. Violent crime rates have been dropping steadily in the US for decades, and the paranoia about the dangers of violent crime are ridiculous. Guns don't get people to work, transport materials and products, or let your kids get to school. All they're good for is hunting, and you can't even say that about handguns.

I do martial arts and nobody can take that from me and kill me with it.

1 person likes this.
  12. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Read my next post. Cars are not a necessity. The same things can be accomplished by public transportation, and probably in a safer manner. Cars are a luxury.

The average response time for a police officer is something ridiculus like 12 minutes. In that 12 minutes, a woman that is home alone could have been raped and her attacker could be well on his way. If she was well-trained with a firearm, we'd have one less mentally sick rapist to worry about.

Banning something will never help. Abortion banned? Women will flee to back alley doctors. Alcohol banned? People flee to mafia-controlled speak easys. Marijuana banned? People flee to drug dealers supplied by one of the most violent groups in the world.

NYC has some if the strictest gun control laws of the country. Recently, NYC police officers were arrested in firearms trafficking. Not to mention all the other firearms trafficking. You want to tell me NYC is safer because of its gun laws? Ha.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

So if we banned handguns you think people would take up gunsmithing to make their own? No. If any, it wouldn't be many.

You failed to address my argument that cars provide an economic benefit. Public transport doesn't help with transporting food, steel, toys, etc. It doesn't help the USPS, UPS, or Fedex deliver packages to your home. Our entire economy and communities are built around the car. They are not a luxury for most Americans. I would love to be able to do without a car because it's a hassle, but I need it to get to work as do most people, and we don't have the infrastructure for public transport to be an alternative.

Also, if that woman pulls a firearm on her attacker she's much more likely to end up dead. Explain the added value vs. cost of a firearm over mace or a taser. While something like 50% of women will be sexually assaulted, the number that are part of a home invasion or something where a weapon would be useful are a much smaller number and violent crime has been dropping steadily, so planning for this is counterproductive especially considering the potential dangers and downsides. There's no real reason for people to have guns, period.

14. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

WOW. That rifle is far from automatic. An automatic rifle would be illegal without a class three license. And yes, they are my babies. The rifle is obviously for sport and hobby. Do you shine your shoes and take care of them? I do the same with my rifle. A gun cared for shoots far better than a gummed up uncleaned one. I want my self defense gun to be in pristine condition. I don't even let my ammo sit very long in the gun so that I know I have recent current ammo to prevent any problems should I need it. It is terrifying to think of someone not maintaining something that has the capability to do as much damage as it does.

I appreciate you not lumping all firearm owners together. Just like anything else, there are those that are informed and those that aren't. I completely agree with your point about the "mania" as you put it. I do not like how guns are becoming trendy to "wear" and a big dick contest. The same goes for so many things though, including the "boner-popping mania" around clothes and shoes. Stupid people do stupid things no matter what they are doing.

15. Randy

Randy Senior member

Segue back to clothing:

[​IMG]

16. eazye

eazye Senior member

O.k, I usually stay out of these petty squabbles on the forum, because, lets face it, that's what it is. A bunch of grown men talking about clothes that we buy from second stores that we can trade with other people on here for stuff that fits us better than the stuff we find our selves, right? Please, I've read this thread from the beginning and haven't once chimed in on the political side of it because WE ARE TALKING ABOUT CLOTHES FOR GROWN MEN TO WEAR!!!! MY own 2 cents, I grew up in Milwaukee, a city which was voted the most segregated city many years in row, we also had the highest rate of teen pregnicy out of any any city in the country for many years. I was personally robbed many times while I lived there, mostly by people who i knew. Do I wish I had a gun? Maybe, had I had one, I would have blown the motherfuckers head off! Am I glad that didn't have to happen? Your goddamn right I am. I was a witness to no less than 7 murder/suicides while I grew up there. A gun didn't help, though it might have, or I might not be talking to you right now. Regardless, I feel that if people want to have a real disuscion about guns, PM me. I personally hate guns, but if a motherfucker wants to have one, good for him or her. I just hope you defend me when the zombie attack happens. JPmorris, you' re alright in my book. As far as protection goes, I got this bitch on lock.
    [​IMG]

17. 330CK

330CK Senior member

No. However, the only people that would then buy and have guns are the only ones you should worry about in the first place. Banning guns only hurts the legal, responsible gun owner.

So people take public transport and only specialized, highly trained drivers will transport. Think about it, takes cars away from most of the population. This creates a huge supply of drivers for only a small demand. Trucking/transport companies could be much more selective on the drivers they hire, forcing people to take driving more seriously. Cars are a luxury.

Speaking of failure to address an argument, what about when I brought up NYC? So let's bring California into the equation. Or Illinois, specifically Chicago. All of these places have the strictest gun laws in the US. Please, tell me more about how the violent crimes are dropping in those places.

Like I said, there are options in self defense. However, one can build up a tolerance to mace and tazers are not always effective.

The point is, this is all matter of opinion. You can't end your argument with an absolute like that. What's right for you isn't right for someone else. Just because you don't think guns are useful doesn't mean they should be banned. Dont want a gun? Fine, dont own one. People should be able to decide for themselves.

18. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Are cars really an economic benefit or did their mere existence in fact create their own need? Surely cities would have been planned better if there were no cars.

You can quickly extinguish one life or slowly take billions.

:stirpot:

19. grendel

grendel Senior member

Violent crime rates ARE dropping in those places as they are all across the US. Just because the news still reports on violent crime constantly doesn't mean it's still as prevalent. It's just what sells, unfortunately, and it keeps America in a constant state of paranoia. This country is much, much less dangerous than it was in the 70's or 80's.

Yes, there are options in self defense (which I've taken), but most of them don't give idiots the power of life or death over me from a distance with no real defense. We don't give people the right to have grenade launchers, missiles, etc. and somehow we keep them out of the hands of criminals.

20. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

LOL so much faulty logic in this gun debate. Most of you guys should stick to thrift-related topics. And if your response is, "he's right, grendel doesn't know how to put together a coherent argument" then I'm probably referring to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.