The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

They are men's, right? And any clues on legitimacy? They just seem off to me, though to be fair, I haven't really come across slippers/driving shoes style-stuff before.

Yeah bro, just 2 recent Samuelsohns and 3 recent HFs (2 Bespoke), nbd. *rolleyes*

(In case it isn't clear, I'm just giving you shit. As always, great finds man)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

2. valium

valium Senior member

man you are obsessed

3. halgrind

halgrind Member

[​IMG]

The red clearance sticker is a bit hard to read: $44.25

4. valium

valium Senior member

need a bit of wisdom gentlemen,am i crazy or did somebody say these ties were super collectible?
    also whats with the pigs and MCP?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also,whats better then thrift prices?
    FREE SHIT!!!
    im driving along having a ciggy minding my own biz when i see a gentleman putting this lil beauty out on the curb,technically it never hit the curb because it was still in his hands as i hit the brakes right in front of his house.works great,just missing a knob which i actually have from another unit.i was gonna ask him about the speakers but didnt wanna push my luck.

[​IMG]

also below will be a epic EPIC "find" it deserves its own post

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

5. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

I still can't imagine LA being the thrift mecca. NY and SF have such a culture of high-end clothing that, even though I haven't experienced it, I imagine I'd have a much greater chance of finding nice stuff in those cities. Maybe the difference is that, in LA, people buy fancy clothes, put them in the closet, then purge them three years later unworn/barely worn. Maybe I work in the wrong industry, but no one I work with wears suits, ties, or clothing made by Italians. Obviously someone does though. Despite my experience, I've learned that Ermenegildo Zegna seems to be very popular here. I myself only learned how to pronounce Zegna after Daniel Tosh wore an EZ outfit Tosh.0 this season.

I bet the Kiton I found was from the same drop. As they fit you, glad you were the one who got to them first.

6. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

SF and NY have dense homogeneous wealth. LA on the other hand has pockets of extreme wealth in many areas, some of which are adjacent to poorer areas. This is what makes it such a fruitful, but difficult, place to thrift in. People with extreme wealth will buy (or have someone buy) nice clothing even if they know nothing about it.

Quote: Valium Recent Bespoke Caraceni from 100% Vicuna?

7. valium

valium Senior member

okay so to continue,i put "find" in quotes because technically it will be a auction at the end of the month.im very friendly with a manager at a thrift here in town and he actually let me see and handle these before they go on the auction block.now let me tell you something,pics dont do justice and the cases they came in are just as intricate and beautiful.
    they are made in switzerland,germany and france respectively.date form around the 1860 (we think).the first one is sterling silver with solid gold inlay,the other two are SOLID gold.
    no idea what movement they are or even maker,you have to open them up to determine that and he just doesnt wanna risk it.
    if anybody has any insight i would appreciate it (will also post in the watch thread).
    i think these are serious SERIOUS money and I may step up at the auction,i personaly think these will go for $10K (all three) but if they are worth it why not.
    anyway the pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mainy

mainy Senior member

frenchy the MCP on the tie stands for Male Chauvinist Pig

9. catside

catside Senior member

Now I have my doubts. Frenchy would know MCP! :lol:

10. valium

valium Senior member

he would he would

11. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

That thing is pretty cool. PM TonyRomo, he's bought a couple Garrison cut PRL things in a 40dr8 and would probably be elated to have this proxy'd for him.

That pocket square really makes the outfit. :D

You have seriously cool furniture. Also, that coat would probably sell really well to a collector of automobillia, if you don't trade it to someone here.

Please don't break my heart and tell me that Richard Anderson was near a 38...

The Black Label is older for a Black Label, but remember Black Label itself isn't very old. I believe that's Cantarelli and likely from the turn of the most recent century. Still probably worth a couple hundred on eBay.

Huge +1. I hate getting to a coveted record with a good jacket, and inside it looks like someone's cut crack cocaine on it.

Best advice you'll get: read this thread in its entirety.

They look legit. Ferragamo makes all kinds of crazy shit that don't make sense. I doubt they'll be worth much to flip.

The only way you'll know whether they bring big buck is to open them. As it stands, without knowing if it was purveyed by a coveted jeweler such as Aspreys, you're looking at gold and silver weight. If there is a movement by a well-known maker of the period and/or it's a great complication, then you're talking big bucks.

The ornate engraving and scenes will help value some, but the right bidders will have to be there.

I'd estimate the silver one to go for anywhere from $100-$400, depending on your market area. The gold ones depend on the karat and weight, which I can't estimate without knowing. And that's if they all work and have necessary key(s), etc.

Edit:

Looking at them again, it looks like the center one (made in Germany?), will likely be the most valuable. The engraving is gorgeous and it looks like it's stamped 18k. 18k would have only been used by really high end jewelers.

It looks like there are some hallmarks. The back part of the watch should open to reveal a solid back other than a small area where one would insert the key to wind it. There may be hallmarks there to determine when the case was made and/or repaired. That will still tell you nothing about the movement, but it's a step in the right direction. To view the movement, it's most likely that the front folds out.

12. valium

valium Senior member

^^^ yes good advice i was thinking the same thing.one is stamped 18K and they do all have the keys.but again,no way to test or even check the movement.i do know that the person that donated it had some very high quality items (tiffanys silver ink wells etc) and some had auction lot numbers from a auction house so this stuff is high end,but still a gamble.
    what to do what to do

13. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Find a local, reputable jeweler with expertise in antique pocket watches and bring him in to view. It should go over well with the owner since you're friendly with him. And let him know that knowing if they work will help increase bids, but, at your discretion, you don't necessarily have to let him/the bidders know what the pro tells you when he looks at the movements. To anyone that knows even a little, it'll be obvious that a movement that looks like this:

[​IMG]

will be more collectible than this:

[​IMG]

But they may not know much else past that.

14. mainy

mainy Senior member

you've come to the right place!!

15. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

Vinyl? I was one of those fools who bought everything on CD. But now that my hard drive is king, my life's work has turned into more wall decoration that anything else:
    [​IMG]

I do have a pretty decent vinyl collection though, packed away in another room. If only I'd have known, I would have bought the records instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.