The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

First: Thrift fit: Oxxford Crest jacket bought from Danvprod. AWESOME deal, AWESOME guy and GREAT FIT!! Rope shoulders aren't my favorite, but this thing rocks! Wool/cashmere blend, double vent, peak lapel. Stellar deal Plus, also kopped those sweet AE Coppels in basically BRAND NEW condition. Oh, most of the rest of the outfit was thrifted too blah blah blah. (Shirt by behar, trousers by Hiltl, tie by Hickey Freeman Collection)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Now for the fun part. After last night's frustrating, if mercilessly brief, trip to the lesser Will, I resolved to make some time today to go to the better (if more expensive) Will. And anything else on the way. First place was doing a $5 bag special. So I think :fonz: But then look around: NADA. Somebody ELSE already cleaned stuff out! DANG. Time to move on.... At the better Will for some good hunting (sorry; couldn't resist). Found an unprecedented number of orphans and reverse orphans -- none of which matched. We're talking Carroll & Co. (gray flannel ps with cool lining), Stuart by Samuelsohn x 2, SUPER recent BB 1818 with unfinished sleeves, HF jackets, different HF trousers, ... Only orphans I was able to mate were Hugo Boss gray in a 48x42 (not pictured for obvious reasons; hope this will flip and pay for the trip). Shoes? Nada. But finally a couple of decent leather belts (PRL made in China and Calvin Klein.) Shirts (R to L)? One far above average Talbott in a size perfect for a guy here; already traded; plus one relatively cheap Behar that will look nice under a sweater. The one on the left is last night's Ted Baker, which turns out to fit me, have real MOP buttons and pretty nifty styling. Will probably keep for now. Passed on a nice Th. Pink windowpane/glenplaid thing for $25. Was really nice, but not at that price.
    [​IMG]
    On to ties. Oh, there's a "boutique case, you say? Great, please unlock so I can check it out. .... Really? BB makers for $15? Unimpressive Nautica? Th. Pink (OK, now we're talking) in decent colors (yes, do continue) $25?!?! Damnit, let me outta here with my proxy shirt, pants for my tailor and broken dreams. I'll just check the "lesser rack" on my way out. OK, these are nice.
    [​IMG]
    Wait, WHAT??? These are on the NORMAL tie rack, and that crap is in the CASE?
    [​IMG] (Note: The BB on the right is from last night) [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] All but the Brioni are available. BTW, I thought the Brioni was Trump when I first saw it HAHA! Oh, speaking of which: They'd put a NIB Trump in the boutique case. NFC.
    And what's that over there? A boutique case for suits? Why, yes, don't mind if I do. DAMMIT! Srsly? Ancient Burberry for $300?? C'mon, dude! Ima :censored: and :slapfight: and don't even get me --- AND THERE IT WAS. CHECK ONE OFF THE BUCKET LIST
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    MY EFFING SIZE! But it was another MOTHER EFFING ORPHAN! Tore $hit up looking for the trousers, with NO LUCK. May go back over the next couple of days to see if it turns up. Now, I passed on one of these once before. NOT AGAIN, MY FRIEND. KOPPED! OK, so it's got a slight snag below the left pocket, but I don't care. It's MINE! ALL MINE! It came at a terrible price, though, my friends. All this tomfoolery made me late to put the kids to bed. And the wife was (understandably) displeased. I may have to lay low for a while. And hopefully find a way to make this all turn into a nice dinner for two.....

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I have noticed (and remarked before here) that case-designer rack-"boutique" stuff is typically outlet stuff that costs more than Old Navy. Like, clerks might know that Zegna Selvedge is better, per se, than HIlfiger, but what do the customers PAY the markup for? It's literally the story of this thread's life.

If I said this never happened to me before. I'd be a liar. A serial liar. In denial.

Or Frenchy, heh

Also on the Brioni jacket you gan go Dig Style, change the buttons and have a blazer...he had me buying buttons and running to my tailor and turning a H-F SC I found into a true DB classic (photos to come)

Can someone explain why I hate Hermes but love Charvet?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What is flippability of Hart Schaffner Marx like? I see tons of these.

5. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Did I mention I saw the 'Mats, pressed against the stage front row mosh pit, during "Pleased to Meet Me" tour? One of the best gigs of my life (and I have wasted more time at gigs than I wish to catalog)

6. alankford

alankford Member

This is my first post on style forum!! I'm in college and have been doing this whole thrift store thing for about a month to make a few extra bucks. Here are today's finds a Robert Graham , and a NWT Bugatchi Uomo Shirt both for $5.99. Also what are some good items that sell best on ebay?

[​IMG]

^^^^ Robert Graham ^^^^

[​IMG]

^^^^ Bugatchi ^^^^

7. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

none, really. nice enough suits though, especially the gold trumpeter line.

8. catside

catside Senior member

I think that is already an SC. In any case nailhead pattern would not do the blazer buttons right?
    You hate Hermes because... I don't care. Send them to me and you are going to get Charvet:)

9. concealed

concealed Senior member

Hermes > Charvet for me IMO

nice scores GMM

10. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Who did you get this stuff from again??:embar:

11. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Nice finds man! But cut those fingernails up...[​IMG]

12. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Hey guys, would love some help figuring out what the hell these are, as I can't find anything quite like them by Ferragamo on the interwebz. And while they *look* like suede, they have more of a...plasticy consistency when I compare them to my other suede shoes. Are they driving slippers/moccasins? Did I get hosed? Are these not legit? They just seem so...odd to me. A google search with that number string doesn't net anything. Anyone with knowledge about this kind of stuff, feel free to chime in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. catside

catside Senior member

Slippers?

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Yoooops! Chalk that up to a) me being a moron; b) too many trades lately; c) long day and tired; and d) see a).

STELLAR DEAL FROM JKIDD41011!!! Sorry, dude! :hide:

I know it's creepy, but I keep them long for typing on my blackberry. On the road a lot and I type, like, page long emails on that thing. It's why I can't go iPhone. That and I refuse to be a hipster. :satisfied:

15. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Made another in-n-out (as Nataku aptly put it) thrift trip.

Guys, I'm afraid I've failed you. There are no crazy finds to report.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.