• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ha, I almost did too, but they're really very nice shoes and were super cheap on discount day.  I'm sure there's *someone* around here that has a tough time finding this size and would be glad to have these :D .  They're only half a size too small for BP.

spam%5B1%5D.gif
So, any small footed dudes, get at me. 

I once found a pair of Park Avenues that were size 5.5. Can't find the pic at the moment, but I left those behind because I couldn't imagine anyone here wanting them. The only thing I could come up with was that we would mail them around as one member's son grew out of them and another grew into them!

Now don't get me wrong, if they'd been shell I'd have taken my chances with seeing if they'd sell on ebay (shipping to Japan).

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only thing I could come up with was that we would mail them around as one member's son grew out of them and another grew into them!

:rotflmao:

this is too awesome to not happen.

Last edited:

amadar

Reaction score

I found this in December at a thrift chucked in with the cheap suits. Richard Anderson Savile Row bespoke jacket. I couldn't find much about it on line. Of course it doesn't fit either of the guys so I put it on ebay. I think it lasted 2 days before someone bought it. I took a ton of images of all the handwork. It was a really nice jacket. Since I sew being able to check all the details up close in your hands rather than a picture on the internet was a great opportunity. I hated to see it go but at least it has a good home now.

Holy crap. A Richard Anderson commissioned in 2009 at a thrift? Now thats a find. Love the purple lining too......no wonder it went so fast.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Before the subject of eBay is completely pushed aside (for at least a week, I'm sure), can anyone give some feedback on this potential set-up for shooting jackets and suits?

It's basically a giant painting I have (not thrifted, but bought at a charity auction I was working at because nobody else bid on it).

... and with something in front of it, it looks like this.

So... too much like a school photo background? Or kind of cool?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Before the subject of eBay is completely pushed aside (for at least a week, I'm sure), can anyone give some feedback on this potential set-up for shooting jackets and suits?

It's basically a giant painting I have (not thrifted, but bought at a charity auction I was working at because nobody else bid on it).

I have a bunch of stuff in my ebay store that no one else is bidding on. Just Sayin'.
biggrin.gif
LOL

Last edited:

s_allen_p

Reaction score
Today was pretty much my last day out as my break from work is near its end. I had a lunch meeting across the street from a store that I hadn't planned on making it back out to. Glad I had the chance to run in as I have two more I can tick off the list:

Ralph Lauren Black Label suit

Kiton shirt

and then I had to cash in my near expired credit at another store down the street. All the good overpriced ($10-$15) ties were gone, so I had to settle for this $10 EZ:

and a stack of these...handkerchiefs?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sure Dig could thrift a Vette if he put his mind to it.
Matchbox_Chevrolet_1987%20Corvette_wQU1.jpg
I bet we could talk him down to $3,500!
1986 Corvette Coupe Z51 $5000/offer - $5000 (kent island/queenstown) Asking $5000//Will take reasonable offers! Vette interior has been 85% restored. Interior is great. Amplified CD stereo. Late 86 5.7 L98 w/ Alum Heads 4 sp Auto..Engine and Trans have no problems and run great. Has computer chip and Good Power. Has 1996 wheels/rims with good tires. I have original rims too. A few mechanical issues, and Exterior has blemishes....may need some work. I drive this car 2-3x per week so no probs starting, running, etc. Engine has new timing system (distributor, timing chain and sprockets, last year), new steering rack, new water pump, Too much else to list...I will tell you everything! I am 2nd owner. Call me ANY TIME...If I don't answer I WILL CALL YOU BACK!!
...Huh. Really?...
Yeah. According to some of the formal wear threads around here, notch lapel jackets which go back to the '30s and earlier are too close to the business suit. Probably a way to cut costs for tux rental joints since peak lapels are higher maintenance. Peak or Shawl lapels are held in higher regard.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Today was pretty much my last day out as my break from work is near its end. I had a lunch meeting across the street from a store that I hadn't planned on making it back out to. Glad I had the chance to run in as I have two more I can tick off the list:

Ralph Lauren Black Label suit

Kiton shirt

and then I had to cash in my near expired credit at another store down the street. All the good overpriced ($10-$15) ties were gone, so I had to settle for this $10 EZ:

and a stack of these...handkerchiefs?

Nice finds! The RLBL is the older model (belt loops vs side tabs), but a hell of a nice pickup! Hope it fits!
Still have yet to find Kiton in the wild. One of the only things I havn't found yet
frown.gif

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
C4... don't do it!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
eBay = email of the day.
Thanks for being a great seller! As part of our ongoing support for sellers, based on our policies, we took the following action in March to protect your hard-earned seller performance status. For transactions occurring between Mar 01, 2011 and Feb 29, 2012, we have:
Removed negative/neutral Feedback*: 6
Removed low detailed seller ratings*
Item as described: 3
Communication: 4
Shipping time: 2
Shipping and handling charges: 5
Removed eBay Buyer Protection cases*: 12
Unfortunately, we can't give specific details about these removals for confidentiality reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads