• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is Chiavari any good? Also, what brands/features of sewing machines should I keep my eye open for if I wanted to pick one up for myself?

Also picked up this Southwick suit tonight. Fits about a 40, maybe 42, 34" waist on the trousers. Available if someone is interested.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found something today that I would really like to fit, but suspect it doesn't. Could someone please give me a quick yay or nay to the fit of this SC?

Based on the pics, I would vote a definite nay on that.

Love it.

FcYqY.jpg

:worship:

Decent day today.

That's an understatement. Wow on the Bose radio and the camera.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is Chiavari any good? Also, what brands/features of sewing machines should I keep my eye open for if I wanted to pick one up for myself?
Also picked up this Southwick suit tonight. Fits about a 40, maybe 42, 34" waist on the trousers. Available if someone is interested.

Bernina and Juki are superb quality and high dollar. If you just want a simple learning machine pick up a brother or singer cheap. We scored a NIB singer at a garage sale for 10 bucks last year.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found a few interesting things lately. Nothing is available.
IMG_8240.jpg

IMG_8241.jpg

IMG_8242.jpg

IMG_8243.jpg

IMG_8244.jpg

IMG_8245.jpg

IMG_8246.jpg

IMG_8247.jpg

IMG_8248.jpg

IMG_8249.jpg

IMG_8263.jpg

IMG_8264.jpg

IMG_8269.jpg

IMG_8270.jpg
This any good, Spoo?
IMG_8277.jpg

Had some pretty good luck with records lately. Some I already have, but these copies were in better condition.
IMG_8278.jpg

IMG_8281.jpg

IMG_8282.jpg

IMG_8283.jpg

IMG_8285.jpg
And the craziest thing happened today. I went to a Goodwill clearance center just to see what it would be like. And boy, was it awesome. Clothing, shoes, accessories, all done by the pound. All equals great prices. Never thought I'd be this excited about finding purses, but I got all of these for less than what one would have been marked at at any Goodwill. Should make a killing on eBay. :D
IMG_8286.jpg

IMG_8287.jpg

Ugly
IMG_8288.jpg

IMG_8291.jpg

IMG_8292.jpg

IMG_8293.jpg

IMG_8294.jpg

Coach, made in Italy. :slayer:
IMG_8295.jpg

IMG_8296.jpg

IMG_8297.jpg

IMG_8298.jpg

I saw this same book at a Thrift Town last week.

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
I've been striking out at the thrifts lately, but I did run across these the other day

Black slacks from the almighty Balenciaga in an amazing wool and Bemberg blend. Unfortunately they're women's, but they fit my girlfriend pretty well. Lord knows how they got there or how long they've been there, they had Dockers priced higher. If it wasn't for Amadar's ballin' Kiton I might have won the week.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found a few things at lunch -- Pics later

A crazy vintage Madras/Seersucker hybrid Sport Coat at lunch. Mildly embarrassed to say it's Palm Beach* but was too awesome to leave behind.
Seersucker Plaid SC Tagged 40L

Post 30844
Quote:
Sp here's my haul for the morning, no mind blowing stuff like some of you guy's post on the regular but interesting none the less in my opinion.

Last edited:

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrifting brand new Aldens pretty much equals the holy grail find.  Not the most valuable item I have seen thrifted, but in terms of improbability, it is up there.  

*clears throat*

okay I'm showing my age here, but how about brand new John Lobbs? ;)

OH, and some of you may remember that pair of Lobb trees I sent back to Lobb... got them back last week. Still broken. :(

but... WITH a brand new in box pair of Lobb trees enclosed. :slayer:

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see your thrift fit, and raise you a thrift fit comprised entirely of items thrifted by other forum members and traded for/purchased from them. I know black shoes with a navy suit is stretching it, but I wanted to stay true to the mission, and I don't have any brown shoes given to me by a forum member. Please excuse the ridiculously messy room, ha.

Suit: Canali Proposta traded for from Klobber
Shirt: Thomas Pink traded for from toscano_adottato
Tie: Hermes found while thrifting together and generously given to me by toscano_adottato
Square: RLPL generously sold to me NWT at TJMaxx cost by 330CK
Shoes: Unknown brand pebble grain longwings thrifted and sold to me at cost by toscano_adottato

All of these guys are insanely generous trading partners and I highly recommend you give all of your awesome stuff to them.
spam[1].gif

Last edited:

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
I see your thrift fit, and raise you a thrift fit comprised entirely of items thrifted by other forum members and traded for/purchased from them. I know black shoes with a navy suit is stretching it, but I wanted to stay true to the mission, and I don't have any brown shoes given to me by a forum member. Please excuse the ridiculously messy room, ha.

Suit: Canali Proposta traded for from Klobber
Shirt: Thomas Pink traded for from toscano_adottato
Tie: Hermes found while thrifting together and generously given to me by toscano_adottato
Square: RLPL generously sold to me NWT at TJMaxx cost by 330CK
Shoes: Thrifted and sold to me at cost by toscano_adottato
All of these guys are insanely generous trading partners and I highly recommend you give all of your awesome stuff to them.
spam[1].gif

^^^ Cool idea! Might look a bit better with some tweaks - take in the jacket, shorten the skirt, taper the legs, and shorten the hem? Awesome trades, tho.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I already had work done to the jacket bringing it in, but I agree it definitely needs more work. Thanks!

^^^ Cool idea! Might look a bit better with some tweaks - take in the jacket, shorten the skirt, taper the legs, and shorten the hem? Awesome trades, tho.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa, wait....what? That looks like a nice, solid staple Brioni to me. Not really dated looking either (the label is recent).

I guess it doesn't look so bad in the photo, however in real life, if looks like a reject from the 90's, cut like a tent, in an ugly grey and with a texture that reminds one of all those silk shirts people wore two decades ago.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whoa, wait....what? That looks like a nice, solid staple Brioni to me. Not really dated looking either (the label is recent).
I guess it doesn't look so bad in the photo, however in real life, if looks like a reject from the 90's, cut like a tent, in an ugly grey and with a texture that reminds one of all those silk shirts people wore two decades ago.

Could you use the "quote" button so we know what you are talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads