1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWGP

TheWGP Distinguished Member

Like Spoo said, it certainly does, but doesn't require a signature - depends whether you need this, of course.

ALSO, there is a gotcha - I've been told by acquaintances who work in the Post Office in Washington DC that the small flat rate boxes and flat rate envelopes just get treated as first class - and therefore not tracked - by a lot of foreign carriers. Medium FRB's and other packaging get "real priority" treatment. They also love to talk about how cross-country priority mail shipments are often on a pallet on a plane right next to more-expensive FedEx packages, handled by the same folks... yeah, they can get pretty geeky about mail. :lol:

2. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior Member

Quote: Damn thats awesome. I need to find one of those for B&S and upcoming Honeymoon. Nice score. on the topic of what i need for eBay / B&S

Anyone ever find a mannequin in thrifts? or is that better found at the antique and flea market scene?

3. Shiny

Shiny Senior Member

Nice Don Cherry reference. Missus is wise. Also, what does that mean that this guy "buys entire wardrobes". If I were to join a monastery, I call him and say, "Do you want to buy my entire wardrobe?" "Will you take my 100% cotton dockers, too?"

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Certainly real.

5. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior Member

There is probably a used business fixture store in your area. They should have all sorts of forms and mannequin's for you to choose.

6. grendel

grendel Distinguished Member

What size is the Brioni shirt? What does the tail look like? Don't think I've seen one like that

7. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior Member

^^^ I saw a pinnable female torso today at a Goodwill for $40 or so. Good condition, but one of the wooden feet on the tripod base was broken / missing.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I just picked these two up... have not received them yet, but they seemed to do the trick for a fair enough price :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/220952285020?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/28061298658...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_708wt_1368

Can anyone rec a light? Not sure of the technical term, but you know, the giant spotlights to shine on the mannequins.

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Distinguished Member

^^^ I have the male version of the female one you have Spoo, from the same buyer and everything. Like you said, it does the trick.

10. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Generally, proper lighting will require multiple lights. The standard is a three-light kit. Adorama and similar retailers will have generic brand kits which should do the trick for what you're going to use them for.

11. mainy

mainy Distinguished Member

the worst part about the light and suit form set up is having SPACE for it. serious pain. can't wait til i have sign a lease and finally have mad square footage for ebay

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Distinguished Member

You're going to flip this aren't you? Notch lapel tux =bad juju.

[​IMG]

Home Depot/Lowes etc will have something like these.
    [​IMG]
    Designers Edge L13 1000-watt Telescope Worklight Yellow 120-volt

$30 online
    Twin head quartz halogen utility fixture telescopes from 40" to 67" tall, uses locking nut for easy adjustment. Hinged face, tempered safety glass, and 1-piece cast grill. 7' ground cord. 42" diameter base, cord storage bracket on pole. (2) 500W quartz halogen bulbs included. 1000W/120V. Safety yellow. UL and CUL listed.

Or if you're looking for the real thing...

[​IMG]
    What kind of studio photography lights should I buy

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

13. ATLjon

ATLjon Distinguished Member

Both shirts need the patented thrift wonder clean before they're available.
    -----
    17 1/2

Sleeve measures 25"

um, tail:

[​IMG]

14. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Distinguished Member

looks like a used maxi pad

:foo:

15. TheWGP

TheWGP Distinguished Member

I sold a Brioni shirt like that awhile back. The buyer I think wore it to an event, if I'm reading between the lines correctly, and tried to return it... ended up giving him a partial refund (and a block from further bids, of course). :brick:

It IS somewhat commonish for people who don't know better / don't like it to cut the tail off of that - but yes, it is in fact meant to be fastened just like a onesie. There's a button on the lower front to use for this I think. The idea is that way, you won't have to worry about your tux shirt coming loose and untucked as you dance / move / whatever - after all, when wearing a tux it can be a major pain to readjust like that, let alone "appropriate" if you're at the kind of event that you'd be wearing a tux to.

Too bad the sleeves aren't 36" or I'd be snapping that up - I found a Borrelli tux shirt on ebay but it... isn't quite as traditional as I thought when I bought it, though it'll do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.