The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Some good stuff in that lot. Deep Purple's Machine Head is a great album. I think I like every song on there.

2. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Actually #2 is closer to 15 plus years old. I think a few days ago someone mentioned this label stopped being used in '99.

3. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

The one I went to was, in a word, vile. Not to bring back memories of a recent troll, but it felt like dumpster diving. Glad yours wasn't the same.

Venting: Yesterday, I dressed a little down for work. I'd bought some suede and brown leather saddle shoes I took home and brought back from near dead. Johnston & Murphy's with the combo leather sole and rubber toes/heels made in Italy. HAd been noticing that my lunchtime walks are putting some wear on my favorite shoes so I wanted a couple pairs to stash in my file drawer (since no one keeps files in their files drawers anymore). I also have been enjoying practicing my cleanup skills in front of the tube to see just how far I can bring back thrift shoes. HAd to try these out at work. So I was wore them, with jeans, an orange Robert Talbott Carmel shirt with stripes (actually it was quite Robert Graham-y), and a dark brown (almost black) suede vest. Totally dressed down for me, but I'm still sharper then most others in the office (i.e. guys wearing blown out sneakers, t-shirts and hoodies, etc).

I get to the office and am assigned to cover an event at The Harvard Club in Boston. Like, the wet dream of the trad people here. It's not just a costume -- or douchery to borrow a word from Catside's B&S ad copy (hahahahaha, love it) -- it's for real, man! The one time it's completely appropriate to go Bobby from Boston. And I had to go...in a suede vest and jeans. Yes they let me in and no one gave a crap what I was wearing. I will say, however, I was the only one in jeans. There were enough khakis/no coat/no ties guys that I didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

But what a missed opportunity!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  4. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Heel:

[​IMG]

But .... OH, now I see why you donated these shoes, guy. You should have told me before I bought them:

[​IMG]

WAH WAH

5. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I have brought home two of their ties. They are among my favorites and one of them gets lots of compliments.

I see their shirts occasionally, but pass (they're always worn or...nondescript).

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Nah, $5, pretty much anywhere. Sorry man. Decent read though, not great.

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

God I'm so old. I keep forgetting that 1999 was 13 years ago now. Ugh. Yes, this seems more correct.

8. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

At the game last night, there were guys playing who were born in 1991. That's five years younger than my little brother!

And watching college football (or basketball, for that matter) really kills me.

Maybe I'm just feeling old because it's my birthday.

9. 951socal

951socal Senior member

Can anyone tell me about this SC? (Available for $25 +shipping+4% if anyone wants it)
    Hickey Freeman Collection (NWT)
    2 button
    single vent
    "Board Room"
    40L

2 labels

Hickey Freeman label i've never seen before
    and a Loro Piana 120S fabric tag (never seen an HF suit with this?)
    its fully canvassed oddly, thought Hickey Freeman stopped doing that LONG ago?

what does the blacked out tags mean?

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

Probably early to mid 2000's and the ones with the Loro Piana fabric feel amazing

HF is mostly fully canvassed, with their Hickey Freeman Ltd and "Hickey" lines being the exception that are only half canvassed. I don't think I've ever found a HF that wasn't at least half canvassed.

11. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Sold out as of this am :mad:

I shouldn't have gone to bed early last night.

If anyone picked these shells up, PM me, 9d is my size!

I'll pay you what you paid and throw in some ties or get you 1 item from your HOLY GRAIL list. I will WEAR THEM and not fleabay them. Take pity on a poor SF member.

12. elev8rz

elev8rz Senior member

with all of the non-clothing items some of y'all have posted up to share, it thought someone may be able to help me out.

does anyone know of, or has anyone used, a reliable online resource for selling vinyl records? with 3 non-pays in the past month, eBay is losing my favor.

13. elev8rz

elev8rz Senior member

picked up this a while back from B&J, my first experience with their line, and it's a favorite
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

this one is a recent, the orange tag i posted, and it feels great. not my size, 40L, and available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18085633565...LX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649#ht_500wt_1054

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Semi-:spam: Will be in Chicago for one day on business next week. May have time to kill. Anyone willing to PM me one or two decent spots to hit, if I had only 1-2 hours? Obviously a one-time thing, so I'm not poaching. Usual quid pro quo applies: happy to proxy for cost plus ship, so long as you give me a sense of what you want and a commitment you won't unreasonably leave me holding the bag.

15. 951socal

951socal Senior member

just got off the phone with burberry. since alot of people pickup the older jackets thought this ould be useful info:

according to sales rep:

1999: 'burberrys' -> BURBERRY name change
    2003: BURBERRY (blue backround) -> BURBERRY (Beige Backround) label update on London line

Christopher Bailey only designs SOME prorsum pieces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.