1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

I agree, good deal. especially that drakes, I like it! Plus it is the thrift/discount store thread. BTW you only send $100 a month at thrifts?! Damn son, I could never do that.

2. eazye

eazye Senior member

I was thinking the same thing. It might go into storage with the tweeds. :)

3. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Do you guys purchase things new? I mean that without sarcasm and no without offense intended. However, as much as I love finding something awesome that fits and thats costs next to nothing, I love and prefer to buy new. I will often buy something I really want new (sale or not). I also find that I get far more use out things I buy new. Likely because I spend more time thinking about a bigger purchase.

Anyway, I know it's been discussed before but I thought I'd ask out of curiosity.

4. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

TV's
    Matresses
    Boxers and socks...thats about it

5. chiron

chiron Senior member

“Dress British, Think Yiddish”

6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Not an epic haul but the best haul I've had so far.

I'm saving up for an epic vacation for my girl and I so most of these are going to Ebay.

I passed on a few Hugo Boss suits and a shit TONS of BB shirts, ties, Zegna shirts, and a few Orvis shirts that were made of poly blend. Is my expectation increasing?

So pissed couldn't find the pants to these and I looked everywhere for them, even my girl helped me!
    [​IMG]

First I was like [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But then I was like [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fit so keeping for myself.
    [​IMG]
    Blue label 42 Long missing a button [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Orphan jacket but I guess it could be worn as an odd jacket...42R
    [​IMG]
    42R
    [​IMG]
    2 piece from 1989? According to a dinner invitation found in the pocket, it's dated 1989...
    [​IMG]
    40x32 damn!
    [​IMG]
    Made in US. 40x32
    [​IMG]
    Corduroy
    [​IMG]
    My best BB find so far...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Time for some ugly ties.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was made in Italy. Another one was made in Romania or some country like that...
    [​IMG]
    Keeping!
    [​IMG]
    Keeping! I like bugs.
    [​IMG]
    Now for some shirts.
    [​IMG]
    MOP Fits like a 17 35
    [​IMG]
    No tag but fits like a 17 34/35 MOP
    [​IMG]
    161/2 34 but hella baggy MOP
    [​IMG]
    16 34 baggy just like the other one.
    [​IMG]
    L but fits like a XL
    [​IMG]
    Can't find the tag but fits like a XL MOP
    [​IMG]
    Fits like a 17. MOP
    [​IMG]
    Bros green label. I passed on a few blues, almost picked them up, too, but was like [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bam! My first Golden Fleece.

All the above plus a Pink shirt for flipping and a vintage globe lamp. Not a bad day. Busy as hell. Took a 3 hour nap after. Zzz

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

^ If you're looking for stuff to flip to make money Hugo Boss suits do very well.

I would have left all of the ties except maybe the Pendleton.

8. HansderHund

9. concealed

concealed Senior member

waist too wide, inseam too short or I would be all over those!

10. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Nice haul, you're definitely getting better at both finding stuff and leaving the chaff. I'm with Grendel on the ties though, except that bug one which I think is awesome for summer.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but anything Gitman with that logo (old timey-looking) is Gitman vintage, and worth a fair amount to certain SW&D folks. Or me, if it was a 16.

11. concealed

concealed Senior member

I think that's just an old Gitman Bro's shirt, should still be worth $25+

Barrel, For maximizing your time and effort, I would probably have left some of those shirts: Canali's look kinda blah, Brooks Brothers multi-colored joint, Tom James. Also those old Hickey Freeman are more trouble than they are worth and I am no fan of HSM. Fioally, the ties aren't worth your trouble unless they are for yourself.

YMMV

12. HansderHund

The waist is huge for me and I couldn't ship the over here for a flip, but one of you guys stateside might be able to make a few bucks based on completed listings. Better yet, they'll fit someone perfectly and can keep them for their own use!

I agree with this. However, obviously get anything that you like/fits for yourself. You described the ties accurately :D

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

Those would probably work for me... Looking at the hem it looks like there's an inch or two to let out. Very tempted.... but I just got a pair of HF gabardines that I'm very happy with on top of my BB and self-imposed buying sabbatical so somebody else should pick them up.... quickly before I cave

14. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  15. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Yeah, it was 10, but I was a little iffy because they're leather buttons. Probably won't go back for it as I'm too busy with other stuff at the moment, unless someone here really wants it.

16. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

If you are in need of a quick buck, Hugo Boss suits in reasonable nick will flip for $50 - $100, newer models more. They do have limited trade kudos here though.

Canali is worthwhile and Brioni is usually a very desirable thrift find (unless it is super old).

Brooks Brothers or Hickey Freeman are hit and miss, if it is for your personal wardrobe or a quick trade here then quite respectable. eBay or B&S on the other hand, unlikely to make a major profit, more likely to break even. I believe AAAC is better for Freeman and BB if you desire to flip.

HSM I would not bother picking up. Nothing wrong with the suits for personal use, half canvassed usually, just not a highly prized flipper's item.

Ralph Lauren Polo are a bit iffy in terms of flipping. While it can be decent quality and elegant, too much is generic outlet level stuff. Makes it harder to achieve exposure on eBay given thousands of listings are prevalent for this brand. I would generally avoid a made in USA piece unless it is killer cool or reasonably modern, i.e. twin vents, higher gorge, etc...

17. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Kopped. Looks like there's an extra inch at that hem to let them down. Yes, I cheated, but it's worth it. Thanks, Hans!

18. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

You're wrong - Gitman Vintage will always say "Vintage" on the tag. The GV and regular Gitman both have the old-timey tag. Also, GV usually (never?) is tagged in standard dress shirt sizes.

19. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Crap. I passed on numerous Gitman Vintage yesterday because I wasn't sure...might have to go back this weekend, but will probably be gone.

20. HansderHund

No problem and well done, they looked like a good deal. It definitely looks like enough to let them down, so good luck with that.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.