The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

ACC Basketball! AHH! Carolina, Duke AND Syracuse in the same league may be too much to handle. Well, I guess it's just one more chance to watch Duke get epically slaughtered on a regular basis.

2. eazye

eazye Senior member

My top coat collection so far....
    Mackintosh style but with a zip out quilted lining so it can be worn all winter. Any body seen this tag before?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Double breasted herring bone with leather buttons and green crushed velvet pocket linings.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Reversible, tweed on one side, tan cotton on the other with contrasting collar.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Officers pea coat, from the mid 60's, heavy as hell. Brown cord pocket linings.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Navy with a sweet paisley lining. Anybody seen this label before?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Double breasted with pick stitching all over the place, made in England by ?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Grey suede with picking stitching on EVERY seam, custom? This thing is sexy, and yes I've worn it to great effect:D
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Probably my favorite coat, Suede with sherling lining, check out the antler buttons! Made from "spring lamb".
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And finally, a Chesterfield made in England. Not the greatest quality but It filled the Chesterfield hole in my wardrobe? (I think I may have a problem)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Thrift fit. All thrifted unless otherwise specified.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suit: Paul Stuart
    Shirt: Charles Tyrwhitt
    Tie: Dormeuil (never heard of it, but it looks nice and ties up a great knot)
    Shoes: AE Stockbridge obtained on the super cheap (http://www.ebay.com/itm/14072944188...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_600wt_1008)
    Square: Unnamed courtesy ocooney
    Braces: Cole Haan

Haven't decided whether I want to keep the no-break look on the suit or not, but I think it's good for now. I definitely know I need to work on my sock game, but that's pretty low priority right now.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

4. eazye

eazye Senior member

Thrift fit.  All thrifted unless otherwise specified.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suit: Paul Stuart
    Shirt: Charles Tyrwhitt
    Tie: Dormeuil (never heard of it, but it looks nice and ties up a great knot)
    Shoes: AE Stockbridge obtained on the super cheap (http://www.ebay.com/itm/14072944188...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_600wt_1008)
    Square: Unnamed courtesy ocooney
    Braces: Cole Haan

Haven't decided whether I want to keep the no-break look on the suit or not, but I think it's good for now.  I definitely know I need to work on my sock game, but that's pretty low priority right now. 

[/quoteI

I like the no break look, slowly trying to weed out/have tailored all my pants like that, except jeans of course.

5. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Looks like ebay is getting a little better for sellers...

We're writing to remind you of the recently announced 2012 Spring Seller Update, which began launching this week. These updates will help keep the growing ranks of online shoppers coming your way, help get your listings in front of the right buyers, protect your track record and boost your efficiency.

Free pictures coming in July

Starting July 2, on top of listing up to 50 items Auction-style FREE each month, you'll get FREE pictures for all your listings--up to 12 pictures per listing, both Auction-style and Fixed Price!

Safeguards for your hard-earned performance record

New seller protections help ensure your performance record is an accurate reflection of your great service:

New automatic 5-star Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) for Communication protects sellers from getting low DSRs when there was no communication at all. Starting in April, you'll get an automatic 5-star Communication DSR when you specify same-day or 1-day handling, upload tracking information by the end of the next business day, and no communication was needed between you and the buyer. Of course, friendly, prompt and informative communication is always important, so on transactions where buyer and seller communications do occur, the Communication DSR will be rated by the buyer.
    Feedback left for a transaction where the buyer had an unpaid item recorded will be automatically removed.
    Earlier this year, eBay started displaying an automatic message on the View Item page to buyers outside the US regarding customs-related delays and customs duties. Because of this, any Feedback from international buyers that only references customs issues will qualify for Feedback removal.

Updates to boost your efficiency and profitability

Manage your business policies from one location. Opt in to a new way to create and manage custom payment, shipping, and return policies and apply them to listings quickly and easily.
    USPS[​IMG] First-Class Package service reclassified from Expedited to Standard. Take advantage of FREE Delivery Confirmation[​IMG], included with this service, while setting the right delivery expectations for your buyers.
    A message on the View Item page alerts buyers to the possibility of extended delivery time for items with longer than 3-day handling.
    New eBay Photo Center. The NEW eBay Photo Center offers tips on how to snap even better pictures. The more quality pictures you include in your listings, the easier it is for buyers to find and buy your items!

Note: When taking pictures, be sure that they adhere to our new picture requirements, outlined below.
    New requirements for pictures. Starting this fall, all new listings and relistings will be required to have at least one picture, and all photos must be at least 500 pixels on the longest side and cannot have added borders or text (watermarks okay).
    Best Match using more information to get your listings in front of the right buyers. eBay's default sort order will begin looking at more information—including information in your item description—to evaluate items for ranking. Item Specifics, product codes like UPCs and ISBNs, brand, part numbers, and other descriptors will be increasingly important.
    Category and other updates

eBay Top-rated seller program will spotlight more great sellers—and that could include you.
    Starting in June, the eBay Top-rated seller program will be updated to highlight sellers of all sizes who provide great service, upload tracking to eBay on 90% of their US transactions within their stated handling time, specify a 1-day handling time, and offer a 14-day or longer return policy with a money-back option. Find out how you can qualify for Top-rated seller status, discounts, and other special benefits.
    Category and Item Specific updates: As always, changes to categories and item specifics are included with the rest of seller updates. Find out if your listings are affected.
    Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
    Coins
    Computers & Networking
    Consumer Electronics
    eBay Motors
    Home & Garden
    Toys
    Jewelry & Watches (Category adjustments in Watches only)
    Get details on the 2012 Spring Seller Update and use the Seller Checklist to stay on top of important dates. Update your listings quickly and efficiently with bulk editing tools.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Sincerely,
    Michael Jones
    Vice President,
    Merchant Development

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Just saw this as well and largely agree, but the 14 day return window requirement is pretty tough to stomach when dealing with pre-owned clothes.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Is there any added value for having a Basic Store subscription anymore? I opened a basic store since paying for more photos was really adding up. The store levels offer 12 free photos, where the old sinple seller way charged like $0.15 per pic after the first one. Now if they are offering 12 free pics to everyone, would it be better just to close up shop and sell the old way, saving $15 a month?

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Not a bad idea, but IMO, if you see something I have that you like, shoot me a PM. I (and I assume others here) would rather sell it to you outside ebay (fees) and to someone we know on the forum for a few bucks less (or a lot of bucks) less then some random person on ebay who may screw us over for a pulled thread on the inside lining which we didnt see even that there are 15 pictures, etc etc etc.

As I always tell the people I PM with and know by name here in the thrift thread. If you see something I have that you like let me know and usually we can come up with something where we both are happy and dont have to deal with ebay.

This is a freaking joke (no no they are really going to do it), but I laugh when I read it. You have to be kidding if you think the item not described and returns was bad now...just wait. oops I got my tux tailerd but it didnt fit right after wearing it to my sons wedding 12 days ago, so Im shipping it back AND ebay is going to send the money back to the buyer when they provide tracking. I'd rather not be a top rated seller, pay the extra 20% on the fee and no accept returns.

1 step forward, 2 steps back is more like it.
    More then just pictures you save listing fees. If you have 100's of listings (I forget the exact number, but its simple math), it makes sense to have a store so you save x% on each listing every month and the store pays for itself, plus saves you money. I know I save 30 cents per listing for having a store and at 250 listings thats a $75 savings over not having a store, subtract out the $15 for the store and I just saved $60/month = $720/year just for having a store in listing fees!

FYI, I used BIN OBO, so it may be different if you are running 7 day auctions.

9. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Hmm I probably should have read the entire thing :laugh:

I just thought the part where ebay gives 5 stars automatically is nice, it's like they are trying to slip in the nasty stuff after that...

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1 on all of it.
    I checked into the store vs. reg seller thing I was able to find that estimated fees calculator which tells you which store level would be best. You were pretty much right on the money. I forgot about the reduced listing fees. It sucks a little because it was saving me over $500 a month on photos, so I'm losing some of that added advantage...however technically not losing it since the price didn't go up or anything. Yet.

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

You're kidding yourself to think the return policy is anything new. Paypal was always going to side with the buyer on SNAD claims from the start, now it's just in writing to make their sham arbitration process easier for them.

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow, how'd I miss this?!? :slayer:
    :laugh:
    +1

13. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Measurements on a sport coat in dispute:

Chest: 44
    Shoulders: 20.5
    Sleeve: 25
    Length: 32

Can anyone tell me what this fits like.........

The guy is claiming that it fits like a 46 R! And I suppose ebay will side with him. These kind of situations really make me want to just quit what I am doing............................ :violin:

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I'd say 42L. A 46 would have at least a 48 chest. For whatever reason, you just can't get a lot of people to even look at the measurements before they buy.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Quote:
    Not to derail this thread into a ebay bitch fest again.... but I'm not kidding myself. All I said was that its a joke they make you accept returns for 14 days to get top rated seller status. What ebay/paypal do is one thing when a buyer wants to return an time, but to strong arm there best sellers into accepting returns 2 weeks!!!! (you really cant decide if it fits after 3 days? wtf) is just crazy.

IMO it is to generate revenue, as a lot of top rated sellers whats the saying (80/20 rule) 80 percent of your business comes from 20 percent of your customers. It's the same with ebay if I had to guess. 80% of the sales are from 20% of the sellers, and the majority of those are top rates sellers with lower fees (these 80/20 numbers might be a tad off due to the HUGE online business model of ebay and how easy it is for the every day person to list a few items, but you get my point here). If they can get a few % more on the final value fees from the top rated sellers without totally scaring them off then its a win for ebay. Not sure how many are going to go along with 14 day return policies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.