1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

if they had any quilted or waxed jackets for 75% off, yes, you left alot of money on the table.

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I did look for that, the pickings were slim (a few men's, some ladies, most of the jackets they had were non-waxed but there were a couple good ones...but as you know they require a little more to ante up than the $10 shirts). Shirts, tweed sport coats/overcoats some cotton sportcoats were the main things they had.

3. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

Looks nice...and made by Caruso :slayer:

4. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

::rageface::

You left "hooking me and everyone else in the world who loves Barbour would have paid cost + a healthy proxy fee" money on the table. Ugghhhhhhhhh. Insane deals like that with brands that you know have tons of board love, always pick up first and worry about the details later imo.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  5. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I will call and see how late they're open and if the sale's still on. It will involve some driving...but if it builds up some goodwill/chits among you people it's worth it to me. tweed sportcoats, tho, not the awesome overcoats people salivate over here. And shirts. PM me if you're interested in the proxy

6. concealed

concealed Senior member

the only Barbour that people really go ga-ga over is the waxed cotton jackets like this

[​IMG]

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

ARGH! Why now, when I'm on a buying hiatus? [​IMG]

Not true. Their tweed SC's are fantastic too.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

The good news: Grabbed 3 pairs of Alden Foot Balance this morning. Totally surprised me, since this particular store is NOT known for its men's shoe selection.
    The somewhat dissapointing news: They are all 3 size 12 AA. Available.

More pics tonight after cleanup.

[​IMG]

9. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Not a huge number of things to post....

Chocolate Etro linen shirt (available)

[​IMG]

White Lorenzini shirt (available)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Zanellas... 16.5" across the waist, 30" inseam. Cuffed and double pleats. Available for cost + shipping.
    [​IMG]

Women's Prada belted shirt thing. Anyone who happens to be in the know with Prada, is this label good or just normal? Prada Milano...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the reason I shouldn't try to sift through the women's section. It's KL by Karl Lagerfeld and 100% silk, I'm assuming 80s. I thought to myself "Well, people eat up silk Versace shirts like it's their God damn job, so maybe people out there collect this." Looking back, I sincerely doubt that's the case. It didn't help anything that a 75 year old woman was admiring the pattern in the check out line. It has columns and Karl Lagerfeld's signature all over it. If anyone knows anything, please let me know!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Only one thing today: a nice vintage MTM (?) Harris Tweed from across the pond. Quality craftsmanship. It's pretty heavy, and is in almost pristine shape. It's not for everyday wearing, but is a nice retro look for retro-y occasions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas on the date? Late '50s?

11. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

$150 for NWT's worth of fantastic, Grendel? I guess that's the whole question from my original poast. If I saw this used in a thrift for $10 I'd be on it like white on rice. $150 is a different animal.

they're like these but barbour tagged, and there were 4-5 diff colors. All in 40R

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Sweet jacket.
    Looks, to me, to be a late 40's- late 50's label, before they switched to the color labels.

13. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

FYI the foot balance stuff is their orthopedic stuff, and not the cooler-looking stuff that people on SF look for.

i think you'd be better off doing some research to find out what last those are on, what orthopedic conditions they're for, etc and then head to ebay. hopefully you'll find someone with that foot condition in that size/width. think of these as a medical device, not a pair of shoes.

EDIT: definitely try to find out what last those are made on (you can usually find out using the codes written on the inside of the shoes). the trubalance and modified lasts are orthopedic lasts even though regular dudes wear them. if your shoes are on either of those lasts, you **might** be in luck.

14. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Outsole measurements? [​IMG]

No clue if there's a Prada hierarchy but I think that's a really nice dress/shirt thing. If my girl didn't have a real aversion to thrift store stuff, I'd be all over that.

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Ha no worries man I was just busting your balls. I might be alone on this, but I think Barbour stuff even non-outerwear is excellent. Will shoot over a pm with interest. Thanks dude!!

16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yeah, I know. I have had some good luck with them in the past. My first 2 or 3 pairs of Aldens found were Foot Balance. I believe 2 of them are Trusquare lasted Mocc Toe Blucher and one is Truflare lasted Algonquin Blucher , just going off experience with the numbers.

In my case, cronic foot pain endurer and orthotic wearer, I wish they were my size. I don't even own a personal pair of dress shoe since I can not stand to wear them for more than 20 minutes. [​IMG] I have been confined to New Balance sneakers for at least 5 years now. Concidering I paid $700+ for my custom orthotic inserts, the Alden Foot Balance are always a valuable pick-up. That said, if anyone finds any Alden FB numbered 587,595 or 564 in size 10.5 or 11 EEEE let me know. Tall order, I know.

Deadboy, LOL the outsole measurements.

17. grendel

grendel Senior member

If I had money to spend I'd be interested, sure. See how much interest you get via PM. I know we all get spoiled by thrift prices, but $150 for a quality NWT tweed SC is really a steal by most measures.

EDIT:

On a related note, this looks like a great deal too:

http://www.mrporter.com/product/179327

and this

http://www.mrporter.com/product/179325

18. HansderHund

Thanks. My wife doesn't have a problem with it, but it likely won't fit her so I thought I'd move it to eBay. I wasn't sure if there was an extra key word or two that should be added that would add to the bids. Surprisingly enough, the belt was attached to the hanger with it...amazing it didn't get lost along the way.

19. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

left behind a Louis Vuitton Uniformes mens suit yesterday,like the actual sales staff Uniforms they have to wear at the Louis Boutiques.
    mistake or should i go back for it ($12.99)

20. HansderHund

I thought they all wore LV clothes inside the store? I don't remember what the staff looked like last time, but I find that strange. Not unbelievable, just strange. Anyway, I'd guess it would be worth picking up...sort of like business/first class branded airline things sell. I would guess collectors mostly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.