1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grendel

grendel Distinguished Member

How do you measure shoes like that? I didn't think outsole measurements were a very accurate indication of fit?

2. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior Member

No, that's cool - they have a lovely handle on them due to the mohair...

3. eazye

eazye Distinguished Member

Couple pairs of shoes not in my size up for trades. None are in mint condition, but all are really nice!
    Bally glove leather cap-toes. Softer than a baby's ass. Size 11 D made in Italy
    [​IMG]
    Ferragamo tassel loafers. Stitching is coming undone on lining but looks like an easy fix. Size 11.5 B Made in Italy.
    [​IMG]
    Churches "custom grade" tassel loafer 9 A I believe, size is hand written and hard to make out. Made in England in 01'[​IMG]
    Vintage W.C Russel Moccasin Co. "bird shoot" moccasin. These are fucking bad ass! Red quilted lining, I'm still debating weather to keep these but alas they are a half size too big...still... Size 11 and made in Berlin Wisconsin, not far from my hometown, Milwaukee.
    [​IMG]

4. grendel

I do not understand SWD at all [​IMG]

5. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior Member

Where's Dre....

6. capnwes

capnwes Distinguished Member

It's a pain in the butt, but when I have the laces out for polishing, I measure the insole length with a tailor's tape. The width I usually measure on the outsole between the welt stitching at the widest point. I am not really convinced on the accuracy of the length, since everyones toes are different, and some shoes are much more pointed than others. However, It must work reasonably well, since I have very few shoe returns, and it generally matches up pretty close on the shoe size conversion chart.
    I have since discontinued the use of overall outsole measurements, since they are pointless. I provide them only if requested.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

:laugh: Margiela GATs (or German Army Trainers) are replicas of a shoe Adidas made for Gemran troops in the 1970's. As opposed to regular sneakers, they have a nice, slim profile, and are made of ridiculous leather and lamb suede. They've retailed for as high as $800, can sometimes be found at Barney's for like $500, I think, which I find about as ridiculous as the $1,000 MC shoes. Still and all, they're really great, so it's nice to find them at a more reasonable price. :teach:

8. eazye

eazye Distinguished Member

I know someone awhile back was looking for hats. Here's some I've picked up.
    L-R Pendleton wool, Adams 5th Ave beaver, Bollman natural wool, Stevens beaver.
    [​IMG]
    L-R Stetson wool, Champ tweed, Stetson tweed, Goorin, bought new for $40 before I found out I could get hats at thrift stores!:fu:
    [​IMG]
    L-R Vintage Greek fisherman's hat, Shandon houndstooth, Stetson newsboy, Country Gentleman plaid, Seifter wool, made in Italy, Kangol x 3
    [​IMG]

9. grendel

They just look like sneakers. And they're glued, not welted, so it's not like they're going to last for 30 years like a pair of quality MC shoes will if taken care of. [​IMG]

I spent some time looking through the SWD WAYWT thread and I kept thinking "You spent $1000 to look like every hipster in my local coffee shop?"

10. capnwes

capnwes Distinguished Member

No offense to the lover's of these shoes, but they look like they would be well suited for a velcro enclosure rather than laces. lol

11. grendel

Yeah, no offense to anyone who loves them. Just not my thing, I guess. I spent more than this on a pair of blue suede boat shoes, so to each his own. [​IMG]

12. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Distinguished Member

GATS are comfortable shoes and I think the white/cream/off-white color scheme looks nice.

As for price, not unlike MC stuff, certain SW&D items have a good deal of brand equity, which in turns results in a higher purchase price. You can get original GATS for something like $95 shipped. MMM obviously is a designer brand, so they price for exclusivity. At the end of the day, no different than buying a Kiton tie or a Hermes jacket - mostly unnecessary consumerism fueled by both construction/quality concerns and concerns relating to one's social identity perceptions.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

:fu: :fu: :fu:

Just a sneaker! Good god, man! That's like saying all men in suits look the same. :laugh:

I mean, I kind of used to think the same thing -- 'till I actually tried to find a comfortable, high-quality, attractive shoe with no branding. It should be noted that a lot of Italian-made tennis shoes, like Common Projects, have a sewn-on sole. I'm not sure exactly what that means for a sneaker, but I'm sure as heck going to try and have mine recrafted some day.

Check it out:

[​IMG]

I'm liking these for summer. Navy leather, clean look...sewn-on sole!

14. concealed

concealed Distinguished Member

those Russell Mocs are sick, should flip nicely on Ebay if you end up not keeping them

15. grendel

[​IMG]

http://www.endless.com/Mens-Shoes/s...e-rank&asin=B004T12R6Q&ref=sr_1_23&pageCode=d'

$62.50

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.