The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

How much does ti weigh? Looks very heavy!

2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Today's Thrift Fit: SC: Oxxford brown glenplaid, traded from acosbysweater :slayer: Shirt: Borrelli, thrifted by me, had stain, Oxy-liminated. :slayer: Tie: Ted Baker. Ebay. Trousers: Paul Stuart. Thrifted by me. Has 2 reverse pleats, may get bold and try to take pleats out myself. :decisions: Belt: No name leather, thrifted by me. Shoes/rest: Not thrifted
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I could not believe how soft the cotton was, I realized my cheap Banana Republic chinos would no longer cut it!

4. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

5. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I wonder what you guys think of me preemptively blocking this ebayer:

I am selling a shirt for $50. He sends me a message saying he’ll buy it from me for $35. I ignore the message as it’s the first time I’ve listed it. Then he messages me telling me that I need to take additional better pix. I ignore that too. The shirt doesn’t sell the first week. I relist it and he sends me a message telling me to check my messages again about the earlier $35 offer. It is still good! Anyway, (me thinks) this guy is too obsessed with my shirt and I add him to the blocked ebayers list.

6. eazye

eazye Senior member

Here are some boot's I've thrifted over the last couple months again, from my personal collection.[​IMG]
    Vintage 70's red Redwings with the og box!
    [​IMG]
    70's Danner mountain boots, didn't get to bust these out this winter because of the lack of snow.
    [​IMG]
    L.L Bean Maine Hunting "Shoe"
    [​IMG]
    Vasque Sundowners, I wanted a pair of these so bad back in the day but I remember them being super expensive. Found an unworn pair for $8 a couple months ago.
    [​IMG]
    Vintage Sorel's, made in Canada
    [​IMG]
    Timberland's, mad in the USA, I see at least one pair of these every time I go thrifting, I recommend them, they got the most play this winter.
    [​IMG]
    Vintage crepe sole no name Wallabe's. Comfy as fuck.
    [​IMG]
    Eddie Bauer x Sorel, made in Canada
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, I didn't have time to polish these up before snapping pics (those Vasques shine up really nice) but they are boots after all.:D

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Without any info on the shirt or how much you paid for it, I probably would have jumped at the opportunity to sell it for $35, or at least met him half way at $42.50 or something. But thats just me. If it doesn't soon sell, it will eat up that extra 15 bucks in fees anyway. I also make it a point to answer any and all questions no matter how dumb they might be, it helps build return business, and generally only takes a second.

I had a recent buyer, return a pair of shoes because they didn't fit well. They were listed with all size info and insole/outsole measurements. He didn't bother to measure his own shoes to check. Anyway I considered blocking him for future transactions, but decided against it. Instead I explained to him to measure some of his best fitting shoes so he knew what he needed for next time. The next week he bought 2 pairs from me, and both were just right for him.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

8. JChance

JChance Senior member

You could simply just do it via paypal invoice n avoid ebay's final fee cut

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

There's a Brooks Brothers Made in Italy 100% Lambswool coat that may or may not be an orphan...are these an insta-grab? I'm trying to be more picky. :embar:

P.S. I'm enjoying all these thrift fits.

P.P.S. VLSI, where are you finding new GATs for $250? That's almost....reasonable! (And brag-worthy).

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If it's wearable as an SC I wouldn't hesitate, as long as the price is decent.

11. MattR

MattR Senior member

Unlikely that's it's an orphan. I think they are nice, but I'm having a hard time flipping the one I own, if that is your goal.

12. eazye

eazye Senior member

A couple pocket squares, these are all hand rolled and made in either Italy, England or Japan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    These are all cotton and non-handrolled.
    [​IMG]
    A couple bags, this one is badass, needs to be cleaned up a bit though. Stamped "Morton International Audit Dept"
    [​IMG]
    Vintage Wilsons made in the USA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had been looking for one of these since I started thrifting, Filson, bnwt $5 from the Salvation Army!
    [​IMG]
    Super old L.L Bean canvas duffle, not in the greatest shape but I bet it lasts another 50 years.
    [​IMG]

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Thanks, guys. Yeah, it's not my size. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something someone here'd go nuts for.
    :fistbump:

14. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

This is not going to blow anyone's mind at all, but it's my first knit pickup, and I haven't bought anything in about more than a week despite thrifting almost every day.

[​IMG]

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Yoox. They were 245 after the 15% off. Sadly one size too small. Was trying to pass along the deal, but they will be shipped back this Saturday if they don't sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.