Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

How much does ti weigh? Looks very heavy!

2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Today's Thrift Fit: SC: Oxxford brown glenplaid, traded from acosbysweater :slayer: Shirt: Borrelli, thrifted by me, had stain, Oxy-liminated. :slayer: Tie: Ted Baker. Ebay. Trousers: Paul Stuart. Thrifted by me. Has 2 reverse pleats, may get bold and try to take pleats out myself. :decisions: Belt: No name leather, thrifted by me. Shoes/rest: Not thrifted
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I could not believe how soft the cotton was, I realized my cheap Banana Republic chinos would no longer cut it!

4. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

5. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I wonder what you guys think of me preemptively blocking this ebayer:

I am selling a shirt for $50. He sends me a message saying he’ll buy it from me for $35. I ignore the message as it’s the first time I’ve listed it. Then he messages me telling me that I need to take additional better pix. I ignore that too. The shirt doesn’t sell the first week. I relist it and he sends me a message telling me to check my messages again about the earlier $35 offer. It is still good! Anyway, (me thinks) this guy is too obsessed with my shirt and I add him to the blocked ebayers list.

6. eazye

eazye Senior member

Here are some boot's I've thrifted over the last couple months again, from my personal collection.[​IMG]
    Vintage 70's red Redwings with the og box!
    [​IMG]
    70's Danner mountain boots, didn't get to bust these out this winter because of the lack of snow.
    [​IMG]
    L.L Bean Maine Hunting "Shoe"
    [​IMG]
    Vasque Sundowners, I wanted a pair of these so bad back in the day but I remember them being super expensive. Found an unworn pair for $8 a couple months ago.
    [​IMG]
    Vintage Sorel's, made in Canada
    [​IMG]
    Timberland's, mad in the USA, I see at least one pair of these every time I go thrifting, I recommend them, they got the most play this winter.
    [​IMG]
    Vintage crepe sole no name Wallabe's. Comfy as fuck.
    [​IMG]
    Eddie Bauer x Sorel, made in Canada
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, I didn't have time to polish these up before snapping pics (those Vasques shine up really nice) but they are boots after all.:D

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Without any info on the shirt or how much you paid for it, I probably would have jumped at the opportunity to sell it for $35, or at least met him half way at $42.50 or something. But thats just me. If it doesn't soon sell, it will eat up that extra 15 bucks in fees anyway. I also make it a point to answer any and all questions no matter how dumb they might be, it helps build return business, and generally only takes a second.

I had a recent buyer, return a pair of shoes because they didn't fit well. They were listed with all size info and insole/outsole measurements. He didn't bother to measure his own shoes to check. Anyway I considered blocking him for future transactions, but decided against it. Instead I explained to him to measure some of his best fitting shoes so he knew what he needed for next time. The next week he bought 2 pairs from me, and both were just right for him.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

8. JChance

JChance Senior member

You could simply just do it via paypal invoice n avoid ebay's final fee cut

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

There's a Brooks Brothers Made in Italy 100% Lambswool coat that may or may not be an orphan...are these an insta-grab? I'm trying to be more picky. :embar:

P.S. I'm enjoying all these thrift fits.

P.P.S. VLSI, where are you finding new GATs for $250? That's almost....reasonable! (And brag-worthy).

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If it's wearable as an SC I wouldn't hesitate, as long as the price is decent.

11. MattR

MattR Senior member

Unlikely that's it's an orphan. I think they are nice, but I'm having a hard time flipping the one I own, if that is your goal.

12. eazye

eazye Senior member

A couple pocket squares, these are all hand rolled and made in either Italy, England or Japan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    These are all cotton and non-handrolled.
    [​IMG]
    A couple bags, this one is badass, needs to be cleaned up a bit though. Stamped "Morton International Audit Dept"
    [​IMG]
    Vintage Wilsons made in the USA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had been looking for one of these since I started thrifting, Filson, bnwt $5 from the Salvation Army!
    [​IMG]
    Super old L.L Bean canvas duffle, not in the greatest shape but I bet it lasts another 50 years.
    [​IMG]

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Thanks, guys. Yeah, it's not my size. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something someone here'd go nuts for.
    :fistbump:

14. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

This is not going to blow anyone's mind at all, but it's my first knit pickup, and I haven't bought anything in about more than a week despite thrifting almost every day.

[​IMG]

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Yoox. They were 245 after the 15% off. Sadly one size too small. Was trying to pass along the deal, but they will be shipped back this Saturday if they don't sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.