The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Hey there's another thrifter thread like ours here.

I'm sure there are others, but I just ran into this one Googling something else, so it's new to me.

Disclaimer for the diehard loyalists: We of SF are the thrifting gods, no one can ever touch us, it's the best ever, yada yada...but there do appear to be some posters with some game over there. Others, not so much. Some YSL and Dior Monsieur people hang out over there, too. However, you gents who talk about your eBay auctions and look for people like me saying "I need a damn blue blazer" might want to bookmark that one, too!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I've visited there a few times...I think it is Grendel's side project or something.

3. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Oh, I'd been wanting to mention this tip of the day: We keep every plastic bag from target, grocery store, etc. I guess we just don't want to fill up our town's landfill as fast as possible. When I get a hundred or so I take them to a thrift store I frequent that has a sign on the door always, "We need bags."

I had my bag of bags in the car the other day, and I was at a different thrift store and wanted the mother out of my back seat. The kids don't like sharing their space (Corolla, not a lot of space to go around, ha!) So I took it into that one.

"You take bags?" I asked.
    "Hells to the yeah," the owner said. "You just saved me ten bucks!"

Even if you're not an enviro-dork, this is a free way to ingratiate yourself to the thrift store owners...whom you like to have tell you right before the good s#1t comes out. Know what I'm sayin'?

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Maybe you could work out a bartering system with the thrift store. My bags for your Zegna Suit.

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

Probably not a suit, but maybe an Oxxford hanger

Not my project, but I do post over there... that's where I started thrifting, then found this thread.

6. DenimDan

DenimDan Well-Known Member

Found a great rigid leather bag yesterday:

[​IMG]

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I don't know yet if this is possible, but I am going to attempt to NOT go to the thrift store after work today. Has anyone here ever been successfull at skipping a day or two? I start shaking just thinking about it. I need to move some inventory first. (note: I will probably still go at lunch, lol)

8. concealed

concealed Senior member

My wife wrote up a 12 steps for thrifting program for me. Available for proxy.

9. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

Nothing compare to us man, people bragging about Kenneth Cole, Calvin and stuff. Did you check their "WIWT", similar to What are you wearing now, but very crappy.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I only need like the first 3 or 4 steps...I don't want to quit all together. lol

11. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

You should definitely not compare the two — they are two very different sites with two very different goals and two very, very different sets of readers — but I, like Mr. Grendel, found my way on the Dappered discussion board.

12. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

B. Nelson is the shiznit. They know what's what, though you'll pay for it, I think it's way worth it.

I found three RLPL cord jackets like that at Filene's here for $40 each... traded them all as part of the deal for that guanaco overcoat (which has been :slayer: like a boss this winter on its few outings).

Those things sold pretty nicely. Do I regret it? Hellllll to the no. ;)

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

I haven't been in over a week. I was gonna go last Thursday, but I started thinking about the bags of stuff in my hall closet that need listing...

14. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ I think it's cool that there are other threads on other forums that are like this one. It's somewhat different, but still good in its own right. I stumbled across this thread on SF while doing searches for blogs like "An Affordable Wardrobe" and "PutthisOn." Lots of roads seem to lead to the same places.

15. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Jesus, I thought I was the big daddy boss for finding horsebit Gucci loafers in a thrift, at thrift prices. You not only do the same, but in a mint OG box with a dust bag...are those unworn? Are they leather or skin? I've been reading this thread on my phone since you started posting your most insane stuff so I haven't responded much, but I am totally in disbelief that you can read the stocking patterns of the stores you frequent so well. Truly an art. To be honest, you need to send these to Spoo if you want to sell them to the eBay luxury hounds, especially if these are Tom Ford era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.