• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're for the ladies ;) May be hard to tell from the angle of that pic, but they're rather thin framed. Nothing is to say a guy couldn't wear them though...

Thanks but it was pretty obvious what their gender was from the pic and if not, the "Bacall" name was another clue. I don't just thrift for myself. I have to look out for SWMBO as well.

35x35px-LL-db5e8bdc_FelixDig.gif

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad VLSI - you have a lot of good stuff in there. Definitely some things you shouldn't have bought but you knew that already. ;)

As far as DM7, I enjoy seeing his finds, I just :fu: a little bit that none of it will ever be available other than to Ebay bidders!

hmmurdock, no offense, I do think your defense of him is pretty shallow-sounding since you're making money off his ebay sales...

There is far too much focus on flippability-only these days - what used to be a casual "hey, how does my Ebay listing look" has turned into "design my Ebay photos / description / policies for me" in the thread and... no offense to anyone but it does get old.

There is a difference between making an income on this - hence "you couldn't care less about" stuff - and doing it for fun / hobby / genuine interest. It's okay to be jealous, but really, what I think is a shame is the "holier than thou" flipper attitude that cares little about the clothes or their quality and only about the monetary value of stuff. There's a good bit of trading and other activity behind the scenes nowadays - some of my nicest items lately have not even been mentioned on this thread, but gone directly to guys I've worked with in the past. Sometimes karma pays off... I would not have made that miracle Kiton suit match recently if I were a merciless, scorched-earth flipper with the attitude to go with it. That's all I'm saying.

Those of us who buy to wear and trade and, yes, maybe recoup some costs / buy a nice dinner out with the wife now and then have a fundamentally different mindset from those who are deriving their primary source of income from this or otherwise treat it as a serious business venture, that's all.

BTW Androfan... :worship: Awesome haul!

Last edited:

MattR

Reaction score
I'm going to try and switch the topic of discussion of DM7. Played to death already.

Serious question: Why is it so difficult to find a decent quality solid navy blue suit in the thrift stores? When I do see solid navy suits, it's rarely anything better than JAB. Reason I find this weird is that there are plenty of other quality staple suits out there (your basic pinstripes and solid grays) in the thrift stores. Maybe navy isn't as popular as I thought, compared to gray? Not really sure. Maybe it's just my area. Be interesting to get some takes on this.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally with you on this...it's extremely weird. I've found two navy staples in my size (and neither was *technically* a true basic staple...one was flannel, the other birdseye), and not many more in other sizes. Then again, I have trouble finding anything in my size (grey staples as well). Maybe navy staples are just the kinds of suits that people just wear *literally* till they're unwearable anymore and toss them since they're just so timeless. With patterns, your mood/style sense may change over the course of years and you may get rid of an otherwise perfectly fine suit just because you don't like it anymore (I find this happening myself with some of my patterned suits). With solid staples, this may just be less likely. Otherwise, no idea.

I'm going to try and switch the topic of discussion of DM7. Played to death already.
Serious question: Why is it so difficult to find a decent quality solid navy blue suit in the thrift stores? When I do see solid navy suits, it's rarely anything better than JAB. Reason I find this weird is that there are plenty of other quality staple suits out there (your basic pinstripes and solid grays) in the thrift stores. Maybe navy isn't as popular as I thought, compared to gray? Not really sure. Maybe it's just my area. Be interesting to get some takes on this.

Last edited:

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Hi! After reading all of your helpful advice, I pared down the background and am going to go with 2-4 full length and exterior pattern / detail shots (might use collages as well), an interior lining shot laid on a flat surface, and a closeup of the brand tag. Here's the setup:

^ Brown herringbone country jacket by the Scotch House. 36 L.

Thanks for all the suggestions yesterday!
-M-

EDIT: Just read WGP's post. I wasn't trying to derail the thread with the my setup Q's yesterday and today. If I came off like a DB, it wasn't where I was trying to go with this. Either way, back to the regularly scheduled programming.
smack.gif

Last edited:

hmmurdock

Reaction score

As far as DM7, I enjoy seeing his finds, I just :fu: a little bit that none of it will ever be available other than to Ebay bidders!
hmmurdock, no offense, I do think your defense of him is pretty shallow-sounding since you're making money off his ebay sales...

Frankly I was coming to the defense of a guy who was defending me on one of my sales threads just a few weeks ago...and I don't recall seeing anything that said all his stuff is going to ebay. A reasonable offer on something on here would get considerable preference over ebay.

Until you've had dealings with me I'd appreciate if you would reserve judgement.

lastdonb

Reaction score
Wow, that is really nice, Camel hair overcoat. Unfortunately, not a lot of opportunities to wear that in Arizona. Is it available?

Alright, finally got around to uploading today's haul. This is my first time, so be gentle guys. Definitely some things I shouldn't have bought, but overall I'm hoping this ends up being a successful run. Would love your feedback

Walter-Morton 100% Camel Hair Overcoat. This thing is HEAVY! Sz. 41

Last edited:

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Definitely my best 2 days ever, including a once-in-a-lifetime piece.

Saks Fifth Avenue flat fronts, grey flannel Tattersal Ltd flat fronts in size 38 (don’t know anything about them, but the quality is there and they seem to be from the same donor as the other hot ****), dark navy Isaia Napoli flat fronts in size 39, brown Zegna for Incotex flat fronts in size 40, black Zanella Platinum UNICORNS in size 40

And this...

Insane.

I've found some similar Isaia pants. They're the nicest I've found!

And that Kiton...
worship.gif

edit:

Quote:
Lol, ten seconds apart. Sorry man. Really though, that Kiton is sick.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the Isaia pants. This is the first Isaia anything I've seen and they are head and shoulders above any pants I've found. They weigh a metric ton and just scream quality. The handfeel on this Kiton is otherworldly. Lol, just dicking around...that Jack Tailor for Kiton and the first Brioni SC look amazing.

I've found some similar Isaia pants. They're the nicest I've found!

And that Kiton...
worship.gif

edit:

Lol, ten seconds apart. Sorry man. Really though, that Kiton is sick.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hit one store yesterday. Nothing much to speak of. Did pass on a Sears blazer and thought of Nataku. Is this something you want?
If it were wool (not polyester), had slimmer lapels and was about a decade or more older I might think about it. :laugh: Way too 1976-trendy-cool for me. Thanks for thinking of me, though! :D
Hey all, this is my first post to style forum. I have been a member for a couple years but never really spent too much time on here until found this thread. I also did not want to post anything until I got through this entire thread. (yes I read the entire 2028 pages, took about 6 months-that's not crazy, right?)
Anywho, I would just like to say, reading this thread has been akin to reading a good book and after following it for so long, I feel like I know you guys. I really love the sense of community that goes on here and how (for the most part) you all help each other out, if not with knowledge, then with actual clothes. O.k so a little bit about me. I've been kind of a clothes whore since high school (going to all black public school's in the 90's was sort of like walking into a Ralph Lauren/ Tommy Hilfiger ad everyday). I've also been into thrifting for a couple years, although not really for clothes, mostly records, cool **** for the house. Anyway, I moved to much larger city about 6 months ago and happened to stumble onto this thread again. Let's just say the information that I've collected has been priceless. I've gone from owning a closet full of Nike dunks, to a closet full of kick ass "dress shoes". And my wardrobe has increased ten-fold. For the most part, the clothes I find are rarely my size (38, 32-30) but the good news is that I've got a ton of **** that I would like to trade with people on this thread! I also noticed that a few people seem to not be able to find shoes or pocket squares in their area. Those are two of the things I find the most of, so if anybody needs either of those, hit me up and I will keep my eye out. On that that note, as soon as I figure out how to post picks, I will show you some of the shoes and squares I picked up over the last 6 months. (sorry if this post is long winded, like I said I just finished reading this thread in its entirety last night and kind of had a lot to say
)
Welcome aboard! Props for reading this thread! Many would consider this a chore but really it's an amazing read and you gain an amazing wealth of knowledge just from doing so. Looking forwards to seeing your finds. :)
And this...

Insane.
Whoooooooa! :slayer::slayer:
There is far too much focus on flippability-only these days - what used to be a casual "hey, how does my Ebay listing look" has turned into "design my Ebay photos / description / policies for me" in the thread and... no offense to anyone but it does get old. There is a difference between making an income on this - hence "you couldn't care less about" stuff - and doing it for fun / hobby / genuine interest. It's okay to be jealous, but really, what I think is a shame is the "holier than thou" flipper attitude that cares little about the clothes or their quality and only about the monetary value of stuff. There's a good bit of trading and other activity behind the scenes nowadays - some of my nicest items lately have not even been mentioned on this thread, but gone directly to guys I've worked with in the past. Sometimes karma pays off... I would not have made that miracle Kiton suit match recently if I were a merciless, scorched-earth flipper with the attitude to go with it. That's all I'm saying. Those of us who buy to wear and trade and, yes, maybe recoup some costs / buy a nice dinner out with the wife now and then have a fundamentally different mindset from those who are deriving their primary source of income from this or otherwise treat it as a serious business venture, that's all. BTW Androfan... :worship: Awesome haul!
Big +1.
Just last night we were talking and I said "I'm surprised you haven't found any Kiton yet. For you, it's just a matter of time." Wow! :laugh:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you want to find a really nice staple navy suit, go buy a new one, and you'll find one in just your size at GW within two weeks. That's what always happens to me, most recently with shell wingtips.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, holy HELL Andro: And EasyE: That's a lot of (awesome) shoes! Welcome, friend, especially since you're my size!

And Achilles:

I am the only one who doesn't mind ventless? I think it looks better on me actually...
That being said, double vented is still king and sells for more (obviously)

I've got some STUFF for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads