• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tailor Dan

Reaction score

LooknGr8

Reaction score

You can get your fee back by filing a non-payment issue... I had one of these now I set it up to automatically do it and automatically close it. One thing I didn't realize was that this would automatically re-list for you so I went to re-list and it bounced it out as a duplicate listing. 

mad knowledge

Greg613

Reaction score
I picked up a Burberry coat today. If someone wouldn't mind, will you critique the sleeve length for me? I think they are a little short.

Also, if anyone in Atlanta is interested there is a 48R Samualsohn Tuxedo at the Sandy Spring Historical Society Sale for $15.00. It had a ripped lining though.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
seem OK to me. What am I missing?

rayxlui

Reaction score

I picked up a Burberry coat today. If someone wouldn't mind, will you critique the sleeve length for me? I think they are a little short.
Also, if anyone in Atlanta is interested there is a 48R Samualsohn Tuxedo at the Sandy Spring Historical Society Sale for $15.00. It had a ripped lining though.

Sleeve length looks good, but I'd say the shoulders are wayyy to wide.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi!

I finally got a male mannequin form and spent the morning /early afternoon taking test shots and trying to figure out how to best showcase some of the clothes I have laying around.  A lot of you have much more experience than I have staging these kinds of pictures.  Would you please critique the pic's below and give me some first impressions or constructive criticism on how I could do it better?  

As someone else said, there's too much going on in the background. Everything in the background does look nice, but it's distracting from the item you're trying to showcase.

Last edited:

MattR

Reaction score

As someone else said, there's too much going on in the background. Everything in the background does look nice, but it's distracting from the item you're trying to showcase.

Agreed. It has a pseduo-Newton Street Vintage vibe (and I mean that in the best possible way - no snark intended), but it's missing the fact that NSV has only minor accoutrements. I'd pair it way down. But I think the general idea is there.

valium

Reaction score

This is starting to creep me out. I appreciate the good this thread does but damn, let's regulate. Frenchy, this would be an opportunity for you drop some of your patented hate to get us back on track.
(Side note: I am about to drop a free tie spreadsheet or something because I didn't get enough playas to contribute to the Trading Box...to quote the Brand New Heavies, it's gettin' pretty hectic, storage-wise, even my poor-ass cancer survivor friend says "STOP" with me filling up his apartment with awesome finds....would an open-to-thrifters-here "trading Google Spreadsheet" be worth the time? I have 3-4 people who would start with about a dozen ties...or is this really just a "post it to the trade thread, people" thing? Feedback appreciated.).
Got a tie quartet today. BB Makahs on the left, so what. The pair on the right, I need authentication confirmation because I way overpaid ($13 each, hell I am a douchey skinflint -- these are keepers for my wardrobe, I like them, heh and I just need to at least know that my eye did not deceive me. Also, did I overpay?) Fire off your opinions.

Someone, please make a "Frenchy Signal." Heh. If you dare summon the power of the Dark Side (totally worth it! I think. Wait, that's unfair. "Gray" side, maybe?)

please dont wake the sleeping bear,if i was Frenchy of course that is...this thread would already be peppered with a couple of "cunts' (TM)
peepwall[1].gif

Frenchy will be back in May im sure he would appreciate a signal

Last edited:

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score

^^^ It's a valid point. I think that I will change the background to something in between a blank wall and the desk and shelves. I might try something to the side of the fireplace and clear the mantle. Then I'll see which setup seems to attract the most positive buyer interest. My setup will probably vary here in the beginning while I track the results.

Thanks for your input!
-M-

valium

Reaction score
see if you can get a nice wall panel of rosewood or walnut off your local craigslist.adds class and you can move it when done taking pics.
^^^ It's a valid point. I think that I will change the background to something in between a blank wall and the desk and shelves. I might try something to the side of the fireplace and clear the mantle. Then I'll see which setup seems to attract the most positive buyer interest. My setup will probably vary here in the beginning while I track the results.

Thanks for your input!
-M-

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Agreed. It has a pseduo-Newton Street Vintage vibe (and I mean that in the best possible way - no snark intended), but it's missing the fact that NSV has only minor accoutrements. I'd pair it way down. But I think the general idea is there.

^^^ Somewhat true. I've met the guy IRL who runs NSV - he lives just across the river from me and we run into each other every now and again at the local spots and talk about clothes,
smile.gif
. Cool guy. I've also had the opportunity to meet a couple of local brick 'n' mortar vintage / resale shop owners like Bobby from Boston (if you're not familiar with him, you should Google him) and a few others that I'm friends with. I was actually aiming for more of a Bobby from Boston aesthetic. The menswear he carries in his shop is un-FUCKIN'-believable.

see if you can get a nice wall panel of rosewood or walnut off your local craigslist.adds class and you can move it when done taking pics.

^^^ This is a great idea. I was thinking about getting some dark brown wainscoting and hanging it on a wall to give the illusion of class, lol.

Also, there are space limitations involved with my setup. My wife and I don't have a "spare room" per se and I only have a limited number of interior background choices - blank white wall (too clinical in my opinion), shelves & desk wall (too busy seems to be the general consensus), and edge of antique fireplace with cleared mantle area (this is what I will try next and compare with today's attempts).

Thanks again everyone!
-M-

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time I see DarkMatter as the newest poster, I prepare myself for jealousy.

I'm quite envious of that Safari jacket. Pretty sure it is an MMM piece. Zegna Couture Limited Edition? Wonder what the deal is there. Any cool details on that one to set it apart from regular Couture stuff?

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can I get a fake check on some things please?

The trench is missing the two buttons to hold the pockets closed and the wraps around the wrist, but otherwise good shape. That's the only tag I could find on it and it's crooked so I'm pretty sure it's fake. :embar:

And then there is this...

Had some other finds today that I'll post up once I get some rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads