The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plei89

plei89 Senior member

Is it possible to unstitch the monogram?

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

For a belt my size, I'd prob only need half the head...am looking for belts if anyone finds nice "kids sized" 28-30" belts.

Awesome haul. Friendly advice would be to pick up a steamer (maybe $29 at walmart or something) and steam the suits before photos. I just did this myself due to a large proxy of wool pants what were all folded and was truly amazed with how well a steamer works on pants and jackets. Only takes 2 min and they look 10x better. [​IMG]

+1 thats pretty awesome!!

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

This should be a movie... Thrifting: A Love Story [​IMG]

4. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

NOVA thrifters are a different breed. It's all about the love.

5. GHo

GHo Senior member

:inlove::fistbump:

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I include in my item description that payment should be received within 48 hours of the auction end. Of course maybe 30-40% of the winning bidders do this, but still it's nice to include. I send an invoice right after the auction ending (Sunday). If no payment or correspondence is received within 3 days (Wednesday) I send them a message stating that I have their merchandise packaged and ready to ship and to let me know when and how they will be sending payment. I almost always get payment within 5 days (Friday).

I've found a lot of people forget they even won something. I make sure the reminder I send doesn't sound angry or pushy. It's just a friendly reminder.

Wow! That's some insane luck right there! Who would have thought! Glad to see the suit is reunited and in good hands. :slayer:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

7. mainy

mainy Senior member

10-15% of my auctions end now in nonpaying bidders. it's absolutely ridiculous - when i was selling on ebay 5 years ago, this NEVER happened. why? sellers could leave neg feedback and 3 strikes and you were OUT - as in, ebay would actually NARU you (who remembers seeing "not a registered user", i do!). now, you can not pay as much as you want and no consequences. and the seller is still out the listing fee. just ridiculous

8. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Hi!

I finally got a male mannequin form and spent the morning /early afternoon taking test shots and trying to figure out how to best showcase some of the clothes I have laying around. A lot of you have much more experience than I have staging these kinds of pictures. Would you please critique the pic's below and give me some first impressions or constructive criticism on how I could do it better?

[​IMG]

^ Vintage BB double breasted navy blue overcoat. 42 R.

[​IMG]

^ Closeup #1.

[​IMG]

^ Closeup #2.

Q: Is there a preference between Closup #1 & Closup #2? My overall goal is to post better AND fewer pictures on my listings. In addition to these types of shots, I will also include an interior lining picture with the garment laid flat and a closeup collage picture of the brand / maker's tag and size tag.

[​IMG]

^ Here's that Ermenegildo Zegna 100% wool charcoal gray pullover with smoked MOP buttons that I picked up the other day. XL / EUR 54.

[​IMG]

^ Closeup.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions or advice.
    -M-

9. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Wow. Confirmation he's human and living on earth! :happy:

10. Kitontini

Kitontini Senior member

Ahhh this is where I must've missed it... I did not realize he lived in LA! Comment retracted. Still love DarkMatter's findings; Don't get me wrong, lol. I wanna go to LA now, :laugh:

Is anyone interested in a pair of Jil Sander pants? I found a pair of WOMAN'S pants (they don't fit my wife). Tagged a size 38, 96% cotton/4% Elastane. Solid Black.

Oh and Typhoid, Your pictures look outstanding. But I think there might be too much going on in the 2 main pictures. People might get the wrong impression and think something on the shelf is for sale too... (Ebay buyers are sometimes, idiots.) Otherwise, the pictures are great!

11. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Not that I have a ton of experience staging - I don't - but I think it looks awesome. I like the safari thing you got going on in the background. All elements tasteful, and the form looks like a goodie.

Something seems a little bit off about your lighting - a little bit cold? Maybe set your aperture higher, to warm it up a bit, and bounce your flash.

I like Closeup 1 better than 2. looks like it was taken in a men's store, as opposed to an unadorned apartment.

12. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

[​IMG]

This is starting to creep me out. I appreciate the good this thread does but damn, let's regulate. Frenchy, this would be an opportunity for you drop some of your patented hate to get us back on track.

(Side note: I am about to drop a free tie spreadsheet or something because I didn't get enough playas to contribute to the Trading Box...to quote the Brand New Heavies, it's gettin' pretty hectic, storage-wise, even my poor-ass cancer survivor friend says "STOP" with me filling up his apartment with awesome finds....would an open-to-thrifters-here "trading Google Spreadsheet" be worth the time? I have 3-4 people who would start with about a dozen ties...or is this really just a "post it to the trade thread, people" thing? Feedback appreciated.).

Got a tie quartet today. BB Makahs on the left, so what. The pair on the right, I need authentication confirmation because I way overpaid ($13 each, hell I am a douchey skinflint -- these are keepers for my wardrobe, I like them, heh and I just need to at least know that my eye did not deceive me. Also, did I overpay?) Fire off your opinions.

[​IMG]

Someone, please make a "Frenchy Signal." Heh. If you dare summon the power of the Dark Side (totally worth it! I think. Wait, that's unfair. "Gray" side, maybe?)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ I weighed the possibility of somebody thinking that the auction would include everything vs. having a plain background. The test pic's that I took against a plain wall felt kind of clinical and decided to with something a little more warm-looking. I will definitely add a disclaimer limiting the scope of the sale specifically to what is featured in the item description.

@ Everett: You're right about the lighting. I don't have a digital SLR and have been using a Panasonic DMC-TS2 with a Leica lens. It's actually my "adventure" camera - shock resistant, waterproof, specifically chosen because the lens has macro capabilities for detailed closeup shots and for its performance in low light situations. In fact, I solely used natural light from the windows without a flash. I didn't realize until after the fact that some of the shadows / uneven lighting in the foreground was caused by the pile of clothes waiting to be photographed on a chair between the windows and my desk. (< I will DEFINITELY remedy this last part when I take my next round of pictures.)

Thanks again for the great feedback.
    -M-

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

You can get your fee back by filing a non-payment issue... I had one of these now I set it up to automatically do it and automatically close it. One thing I didn't realize was that this would automatically re-list for you so I went to re-list and it bounced it out as a duplicate listing.

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

Needs more light... bounce a flash off a wall or the corner of the ceiling to the right. Where'd you get the mannequin? I need to do this. I've been completely lazy about this and haven't pulled out my good camera. I have a damned degree in photography, so yeah... pretty lazy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.