The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

wow I missed alot overnight. some nice finds amongst all of the riff raff though!

I hope those watches are available. PM'd

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

3. valium

valium Senior member

oh get off your high horse,yes yes spoo all hail spoo,cant say anything bad about spoo or he might get his Versace panties twisted and stop dispensing knowledge.by the way i wanna remind you, you were WRONG about that Hermes scarf.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

4. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Quote:
    ^^^ Hey Val(ium)! I updated my earlier post, but wanted to make sure that I thanked you for identifying my curbside desk chair. NOT KNOLL, but Burke ([​IMG], but still free nonetheless) after comparing the photo you posted and checking the underside from here: http://modfrugal.com/tag/burke-chair-restoration/

[​IMG]

^ No cushion, but check the denim transfer, lol.

[​IMG]

^ IDENTICAL to the Burke tulip chair.

[​IMG]

5. catside

catside Senior member

He is not banned, he is with us under alias :D

6. catside

catside Senior member

Hi frenchy. Long time no see. I was wondering when you were going to revert to original. Don't get too knucklehead this time please. We enjoy your banter and while shouting at Spoo is perfectly OK do not mention any ethnicity, religions, race etc please.

:D

BTW we kid because we like and respect. Don't get carried away.

7. GHo

GHo Senior member

DIBS! :slayer:

j/k. very kind of her and lucky for you! :fonz:

8. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    No? He is right, it is real. Just old. Or am I remembering something else?

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:laugh:

Not really, considering everything I bought was for either the house (furniture, decor, etc) or for the wife (shoes & some clothes). I usually like to offset my spending with making a little back. It was still a good sale and have a lot of really nice furnishings now, so when all is said and done, I did do alright.

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Oddly enough, I've found the same exact shirt.... twice. Don't remember how much it went for, but the ones with the "center contrast stripe" do seem to do better.

+1, not directed at anyone in particular :hide:

Six stores in the last two days... blah. All I found was a pair of Bill's jeans in 38 and a glen-plaid BB suit in 40L - nice enough, really, but still!

I DO have an amazing thrift & karma story for you guys, though, once I PM & hear back from another member... ;)

11. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Hi!

Quick Question: Do any of you have any experience with an eBay seller named "stylelastsforever"? (Maybe he's even an SF member?) I'm thinking of making a purchase...

Thanks!

12. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

After the recent "I hate selling pants" discussion, I was only shopping for my own pants yesterday - but since they can't keep the sizes separated, anything halfway good I found was NOT my size. Only actually picked up one pair.

The main offerings seemed to be Dockers, Classic Dockers, and really worn out Classic Dockers (although I believe Mainy found a pair of Bills when he was there - better eyes than mine), I was really excited when I saw an Aquascutum waistband. And not a tattered, sweat-stained (or worse) waistband, but a nice crispy one. Granted it was double pleated, but why oh why did it have to be 21" across the waist? Ah well, I grabbed it in case anyone here would want it.
    [​IMG]
    Full deets in trading thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/287214/...uy-sell-trade-want-thread/120_30#post_5326235

A bit further down the rack I found some light weight very light colored flat front pants by Lacoste. Exactly what I was there looking for, but again, too big. I left these behind, but could check back if anyone is interested.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

On an up note, I did buy a Sheaffer "Tip Dip" pen (as part of a lot) that works quite well. Internals seem fine, and after lo these many years, even the ink is still running. This pen & pencil habit could get addictive.

13. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Oh yeah, I forgot to post this for you guys... at the risk of BLOWING UP MY SPOT.... I kid, I kid.

The funny thing is, that store does not reliably produce - it HAS in the past but very randomly/rarely.

And no, I'm not going to be looking at paintings any more than I already have been... which is about the way I look at stereo equipment: a quick look over as I walk by for any signs to get me to look closer. The print has been authenticated and the guy is getting offers on it already... he's apparently resisting them, but he should exploit the momentary notoriety IMO before it becomes just another signed Picasso proof.

A thrift-store Picasso?
    Shopper discovers after taking $14.14 purchase home that it might be a signed original print worth thousands

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...ned-picasso-print-bought-at-thrift-store.html

14. catside

catside Senior member

I would definitely buy that! and would not know it is original. My kids would donate it to GW after I die. That is how it works I guess.

15. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Side note: has anybody had experience with an ebay seller kellyb33?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.