• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Some cool stuff I'm keeping for myself:

Vintage Yves Saint Laurent made in France smoking jacket:

IMG_8016-1.jpg

IMG_8017-1.jpg

IMG_8018-1.jpg

Yamaha mixing board. No idea if it works, but just couldn't pass it up. Need to get power adapter.

IMG_8102-1.jpg

Holland & Sherry buttons rescued from a Hong Kong tailor jacket. I mentioned these pages back. Went back for them, coat was on 50% tag, so I got the buttons for ~$3. I'm thinking about turning the sleeve buttons into cufflinks.

IMG_8201.jpg

IMG_8202.jpg

Found these about 8 months ago. Was going to restore them and flip, but I have too many other projects at the moment. I'll let them go cheap here.

Freeman shoe company. No marked size. Measurements are:

Outsole length: 11.75"
Width: 4.25"

IMG_8069-1.jpg

IMG_8070-1.jpg

IMG_8071-1.jpg

IMG_8073-1.jpg

IMG_8074-1.jpg

elev8rz

Reaction score
I'm really overwhelmed by yall's kindness. I've been PM'ing with a couple of members and didn't realize there was such a response. I really want to express to all of you my gratitude for your offers and well-wishes. I shared this story thinking I might start a "pay it forward" thread, or at the very least hear some other stories y'all may have, but I didn't expect this. I'll get to each of you individually as soon as I'm able. Thank you all again.

Maybe we can all find a way to pay it forward this weekend somehow
cheers.gif

valium

Reaction score
nothing spectacular but extremelly cool in my opinion,found a EEl skin (!!!???!!!) attache case that im going to use as a laptop case,fits my 15 inch MB perfectly.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some cool stuff I'm keeping for myself:
Vintage Yves Saint Laurent made in France smoking jacket:
IMG_8016-1.jpg

I don't care what the rest of you bitches say, that jacket kicks ASS!

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So glad the screen was not facing the wife. :)

:laugh:

Oddly enough, I had just opened this tab when my wife rolled over and asked me to turn the brightness down on the compy. Thanks for saving my life spoo!

valium

Reaction score
thank you,paid two bucks.its literally the thinnest and softest "leather" i have ever felt,imagine a sort of leather/silk hybrid...but its very durable

that's nice
would kop

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:wow:

The one and only time I ever found nice shoes was last summer. Picked up two pairs of Jimmy Choos and a pair of Louboutins for my wife. $50 each and included the dustbags. They were at a garage sale. The lady running the sale said "you should have been here when we opened. The women were jam packed in that closet and were fighting over purses and shoes". My wife just about cried. Wonder what we missed.

I can't ever imagine finding stuff like that in a thrift store, though. Insane....

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thank you,paid two bucks.its literally the thinnest and softest "leather" i have ever felt,imagine a sort of leather/silk hybrid...but its very durable

$2???
i'll pay you $6! :slayer:

man
how do you guys find this stuff... seriously
i am so jelly

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Frenchy, stop confusing me! Just change your name back to Frenchy, start fighting with Man of Lint again: I pine for the olden days!

ooof. I shudder to think. While at first I did miss him...it's been peaceful, mostly.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm really overwhelmed by yall's kindness. I've been PM'ing with a couple of members and didn't realize there was such a response. I really want to express to all of you my gratitude for your offers and well-wishes. I shared this story thinking I might start a "pay it forward" thread, or at the very least hear some other stories y'all may have, but I didn't expect this. I'll get to each of you individually as soon as I'm able. Thank you all again.  

Maybe we can all find a way to pay it forward this weekend somehow :cheers:

I'll add a big +1 to that.

My inventory of quality, black L/S dress shirts has doubled at virtually no cost to me thanks to the generosity of the folks of this thread. It's not like I couldn't pay for them but no one would accept my money. As soon as I get through this busy couple of weeks, I'll be paying it forward.

BTW...frenchy saved me from making a high dollar mistake with some skis a while back. I'm not sure if I said thanks back then but I am saying it now.

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:wow:
The one and only time I ever found nice shoes was last summer. Picked up two pairs of Jimmy Choos and a pair of Louboutins for my wife. $50 each and included the dustbags. They were at a garage sale. The lady running the sale said "you should have been here when we opened. The women were jam packed in that closet and were fighting over purses and shoes". My wife just about cried. Wonder what we missed.
I can't ever imagine finding stuff like that in a thrift store, though. Insane....

IIRC you did all right at that sale as well :laugh:

Why was frenchy banned again?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You may not believe it, but here's the story:

I was out entertaining my daughter and thought I'd drop by a Goodwill on the way back home. I've been looking for a suit appropriate for job interviews and I've had no luck finding my size so far. Now, this particular store has had a pair of Alden loafers sitting on display for about a month now, priced at $60 and in my size. Being out of work, my budget is tight and I have to keep my priorities: Suit first. Of course I was going to look at the display regardless, in hopes that the price had dropped. My daughter and I walked through the door at the same time as this old lady who also happened to walk towards the same display area. The loafers were still there and still $60. My daughter is a very talkative 3 year old and she asks if I'm going to buy them. I respond "No not today, maybe next time."  The old lady who walked in with us noticed and she asked why I was putting them back. I explained that I needed to find a suit for a job interview before I could drop any money on shoes. She understood and wished me good luck.
After a few minutes, as I searched the suits, the same lady strolled by and made further inquiry as to my search: the size, color, etc... She looked through a few with me, mentioned the variety of shirts available on the other rack ("nice ones like Jos A Banks"), and then wished me luck again as she continued her own searching. After completely checking the entire rack I still had not yet found my size and decided to check out slacks and shirts. About 10 minutes later the lady finds me and is walking towards me... with Aldens in hand. "Kick your shoes off and see how these fit," she orders. "I'msorryexcusemewhat?" I stammer. She intently restated, "Kick your shoes off and let's see how these fit, we want to make sure". What could I do? I leaned down slowly,  untied and removed my left tennis shoe to slip on one of the loafers... like a glove it was. "Go ahead and try on the other one, let's make sure". My daughter pipes up intermittently throughout this scene, "why does he have to take his shoes off? why does he have to try both of them? where's your mommy at?" So, deciding that the shoes are a match, she informs me, "I've already spoken to the manager and I worked out a good price. Don't worry about it. I've had angels watching out for me through tough times and I believe in paying it forward. You just make sure I can find you in a few minutes".  I didn't know what to say. "Just say thank you and make sure you pay it forward when you can. And make sure to stay put so I can find you in a minute!".
I was in shock. My daughter asked me question after question and I could only nod and "uh huh" in response. The lady returned a moment later and I didn't know whether to hug or kiss her or what. So, I meekly reached out to take the bag, feeling so undeserving, then shook her hand and said thank you. She said the receipt was in the bag in case an employee asked, but I needn't look at it myself (and I still haven't). She waved goodbye as she hurriedly walked off and said "God bless".

Since then I've wondered what to make of this kindness. I don't feel like I did anything special to deserve such a fine gift from a complete stranger. I guess that's what makes it kindness. You see a need, you have the means, you make the choice. I've been thinking of a way to "pay it forward" to someone, and get others involved as well, in the vein of clothing and style since this is a passion of mine. If anyone can offer ideas (other than "I need your Aldens") I'd love to hear them. 

Here they are after their cream polish. The heel has apparently been re-crafted before being donated and the sole is only moderately scuffed. The trees came with.

The shoes are almost as awesome as that story. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics