The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catside

catside Senior member

Well, i have thrifted today two child size Turnbull and Asser shirts. I paid twice my usual, why? Because I want to trade them with a barn perhaps :D

2. plei89

plei89 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Allen Edmonds Walnut Strands Brand New! Not thrifted... But got these for a good deal :slayer: They're available as well 9D, 9D, 10D... Keeping two for myself... haha

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

3. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I don't have any problem with using things curbed by others that can be cleaned or disinfected (ie. NOT mattresses).

[​IMG]

^ I found this chair on the sidewalk in Brookline, MA in 2008 and originally planned on using it as a desk chair until I could get one that better matched my antique spinet desk. It's comfortable and we get a ton of compliments on it whenever we have visitors. I like that it doesn't match the desk in period or form. .02.

Anyway, I stopped by two stores and came up with a couple of things:

2x made in Scotland scarves - one in solid bottle green (75% wool / 25% Angora) and the other in solid heathered gray (100% cashmere). No discoloration, no damage, no smells, etc. NOT AVAILABLE.

[​IMG]

^ Funny vintage LL Bean Scottish Bonnet (Tam O'Shanter). 100% wool and made in Scotland. NOT AVAILABLE.

Aaand:

[​IMG]

^ (This is a "pre clean, condition, and polish" picture.)

L-R: Allen Edmonds black Park Avenues 11 E and vintage Alden for Brooks Brothers black cap-toes marked: "GENUINE SHELL CORDOVAN." 10 E. Available (shortly).

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG] Too bad all big. Those are high on my list of a pair I want! Nice find!!!

[​IMG]

5. tben

tben Senior member

Already do, but thanks for that blessing?

6. DenimDan

DenimDan Well-Known Member

Not a bad little haul today,... I know they're played out but I found a bunch of old nylon straps, a bush strap and a pair of Ray Ban 5024s!

[​IMG]

7. plei89

plei89 Senior member

You fit an 8.5D? ;)

8. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

DUDES! Keep those tie PMs coming, looks like it might work. Trying to imagine Brianpore's virtual idea (Tumblr????) If it does, SHOE swap box next, ha!

9. tben

tben Senior member

Grabbed these for a particular member here.

Tom James SC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tom James Suit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tom James Suit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tom James Suit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also grabbed this..
    [​IMG]

Hermes Scarf-95% sure it is real, maybe someone can help
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RLPL Sunglasses-I paid retail, well TJ Maxx retail, for these because I thought they were pretty interesting...What do you all think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

I took up thrifting because it's like hunting for treasure. A fun hobby to get me out of the house during a work break. I've spent a lot of money on gas and poor purchases, but I figure I'm learning a skill that could pay off down the road. It may sound ridiculous to call it a skill, but there a few places where high quality clothes (and other items) are lined up next to shit for comparison. Knowing how to spot the difference quickly, and only having to pay $7 for a brand new $400 shirt is a something worth knowing. I don't buy much of the stuff I see, but I've been amazed at the level of stuff people discard.

As for dumpster diving, I have a very successful producer friend who lived frugally, but spent money on electronics like they were free. He had to move from LA to NY last minute, and in a hurry. He ending up leaving what must have been tens of thousands of dollars worth of electronics in his alley. He said there were trucks picking it all up within 30min of dumping it. I'm sure there is a scene of people who drive down the alleys of fancy neighborhoods at night peeking into there garbage. I'm sure they do quite well with it. At the time I was working long hours and couldn't make it out to his place to benefit from the giveaway. Knowing what he threw out, it made me sick to thinking about what I missed on.

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Google document maybe or even in a thread would work out fine. All you have to do is quote the the previous thread, delete the tie your taking and add a new tie picture in at the bottom. Never used Tumblr so no idea on that one.

I would also keep it to people you know from this thread, who have been around a while in here, no some lurkers...idk how many PM's your getting...but its all you from here on out, that was just my 2 cents literally.

I wish...more like 7.5D

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

I know this art/skill well. And do so only with new items :) It can be done. Without leaving my home or being clothed.

13. mainy

mainy Senior member

yes but have you ever found a huge pile of brand new kiton ties sitting on your computer for 3% of retail? probably not so quit trolling

14. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

2 X E. Zegna Short Sleeve 100% Linen Shirts w/MOP buttons Tagged M
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres the 2nd one, same shirt, different color/pattern
    [​IMG]

Zegna Tux Fine Worsted Super 100's (Tagged 54 I think?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. GHo

GHo Senior member

For me, I thrift for two reasons. One is for the thrill of the hunt. Hell, there are no quality mens stores in Iowa (probably not one retailer that sells kiton, brioni, RLPL, etc.) but I still want to look.

Two, my regular wardrobe was complete shit 9months ago. I've used my thrifting finds to upgrade to 6 SF "approved" suits,, 3 new pairs of AEs, and several drakes, Marinella, isaia, etc. Ties. Without thrifting and reselling on B&S and ebay, I'd have none of that. And I still have $500 in paypal "powder" from recent thrifts. I hope to flip it all again in the next twelve months to have even a better personal wardrobe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.