The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Madroaster are you Canadian? Or are there stores in the U.S. that sell J.P. Tilford?

2. catside

catside Senior member

Yes same thing, I think it is where they wear out most (but also we wear same size shirt so I will not keep my hopes up if you find newer ones). A reminder to people that I like Pink shirts and my size is 17/34 :).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  3. Madroaster

Madroaster Well-Known Member

Happy Canuck, except for the lack of decent thrifting outside the big cities.

4. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

Finally came across a pair of shell shoes. Another box I can check off on my scavenger hunt items list. This was my first experience with shell in person. Looking forward to bringing them back to life as much as possible.

Vintage Florsheim Imperial V-Cleats
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

I found a pair of those exact same shoes last summer. Awesome shoes that will clean up nicely. The pair i found was huge and I had to sell them. You'll do well on eBay with those shoes if you go that route.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Stuff that sells well is the pre 1960's plaid and workwear stuff. Pretty easy to spot by the label and text style. I like their Fieldmaster plaid shirts from the 80's (still made in the USA) for work. They're really well made. They took a steep decline in quality in the early 90's. Honestly, I'd say Sears' hey-day was in the 40's-50's. I have a ton of old Sears shirts, but am really lacking in the trousers dept. Otherwise I could definitely rock a circa 1955 all-Sears outfit. :slayer:
    :laugh:
    Whoa, whoa, whoa......another pair of Brioni shoes? What?! If this is striking out, I wonder what I'm doing. Hit a few stores in San Deigo today. Nicest thing I found was a pair of True Religion jeans for $89. :brick: Seriously cannot wait to get back home and hit my usual circuit, even though that's been dry lately.

7. kbkb

kbkb Member

First post, long-time viewer. I found this Versace 3 button jacket and I wanted to know whether it is real and how old it is, so I suppose Spoo would be most knowledgeable if he's around, but anyone please feel free to chime in. Thanks everyone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. costanaconda

costanaconda Senior member

Not much today...

2 ties Gitman Bros and Versace. I'm not sure the Versace is real, but it seems to be. Also wool vest that says "Nanshen" on it "Pure new wool, woolmark" and is quite nice.

[​IMG]
    Hopefully my thrift outfit is better today than yesterday: Zegna, Borrelli, Versace:
    [​IMG]

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Welcome to the forum. Can't hurt to toss up the Spoo Signal.

[​IMG]

10. tben

tben Senior member

^^You guys are really unable to tell that is real??

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Are you going to tell us what year it was, some random facts and how much it might sell for...plus the Spoo Signal kicks ass. Don't be jealous tben if you want your own signal I can work on it for you [​IMG]

12. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

......I want my own signal.......

13. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Found a nice basic charcoal (DIG!) DB H-F suit coat at SA half price day and while it's an orphan, it's a staple color so I can fake it till I make it. Also, one of those huge party coffee pots with the tap at the bottom, new in box. Who doesn't need one of those?

Doubled down by hitting Marshall's and Maxx on the way home, admiring the Corneliani summer jackets in blue and semigloss taupe cotton ($299) and I'm still confused with Jack Spade jackets (they seem like stuff my EMS tent is made out of, and I guess wrinkly's in? Because those will never look good).

But the real confusion came when I saw actually very nice looking Lauren blue chalk stripe suits ($149 marked down from $300) with pick stitching everywhere but new, winter (natch) H-F heavy wool suits ($499, marked down from a grand) without the pick stiching. The H-F stuff was sweet, lots of tasteful pinstripes. A bunch of Calivin Klein stuff has pick stitching on it, too, you can see it from across the room! Must readjust what details I am looking for.

All of it was too rich for my blood, however. Almost forked over $179 (marked down from $399 I think) for a fully lined BB medium blue linen coat until I stopped myself, figuring one of youse is going to PM me about a 40R linen coat in blue or khaki or a summery shade you're hawking for much less one of these days. And I'll keep the cash among mi homies here instead of making Mr. TJX more rich.

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Clearly donated by another SFer. What are the odds?

15. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Gunmetal buttons in place of the originals and you're rocking a DB blazer. No one has to know and we won't narc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.