• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Living in the thrifting wasteland I do, I've decided to start picking things up for trade since I never find good stuff my size. This was a pretty good day for me:
Zegna, Charles Tyrwhitt (X3), JP Tilford, Leonardo Ceni (NWT). The Tyrwhitts are all french cuff.

Madroaster are you Canadian? Or are there stores in the U.S. that sell J.P. Tilford?

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

one thing i keep noticing: every time i see PINK shirts (and i see a lot of them), they almost always have light fraying on the tips of the collar. not sure if this says more about their quality or about the buying/donating habits of the original purchasers. anyone else notice that with PINK?

Yes same thing, I think it is where they wear out most (but also we wear same size shirt so I will not keep my hopes up if you find newer ones). A reminder to people that I like Pink shirts and my size is 17/34 :).

Last edited:

Madroaster

Reaction score

Madroaster are you Canadian? Or are there stores in the U.S. that sell J.P. Tilford?

Happy Canuck, except for the lack of decent thrifting outside the big cities.

s_allen_p

Reaction score
Finally came across a pair of shell shoes. Another box I can check off on my scavenger hunt items list. This was my first experience with shell in person. Looking forward to bringing them back to life as much as possible.

Vintage Florsheim Imperial V-Cleats

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally came across a pair of shell shoes. Another box I can check off on my scavenger hunt items list. This was my first experience with shell in person. Looking forward to bringing them back to life as much as possible.
Vintage Florsheim Imperial V-Cleats

I found a pair of those exact same shoes last summer. Awesome shoes that will clean up nicely. The pair i found was huge and I had to sell them. You'll do well on eBay with those shoes if you go that route.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...nataku, since you confessed to vintage Sears obsession, I have been noticing lots of old stuff around, like the flannel shirts with the HUGE patterns so big they repeat, sat 1-1/2 times. What should I keep my eyes open for? I also see a lot with the vintage "Sears Roebuck" label...those are all too new because that was a 1970s nostalgia thing after your period of "what's interesting" ended, right? The march to 30,000 continues. I have an idea for that special post: Nataku posting an all-vintage, all-thrifted Sears fit...THAT would capture the flavor of this thread. Furthermore, I am sure it would impress the Vox's and J's and Foos of the world watching over us, ha.
Stuff that sells well is the pre 1960's plaid and workwear stuff. Pretty easy to spot by the label and text style. I like their Fieldmaster plaid shirts from the 80's (still made in the USA) for work. They're really well made. They took a steep decline in quality in the early 90's. Honestly, I'd say Sears' hey-day was in the 40's-50's. I have a ton of old Sears shirts, but am really lacking in the trousers dept. Otherwise I could definitely rock a circa 1955 all-Sears outfit. :slayer:
Classic.... Maybe darkmatter was kidnapped by Nataku and forcing him to take him to the good stores with the trees out back growing $3000 sport coats on them.
I started one of those in my yard, but it froze last night.
:laugh:
Man... I'm sorry I let you guys down.... =/
I've been striking out lately. I'm too lazy to get up and take pictures, but here's a summary of today's haul:
Brioni Shoes......
Whoa, whoa, whoa......another pair of Brioni shoes? What?! If this is striking out, I wonder what I'm doing. Hit a few stores in San Deigo today. Nicest thing I found was a pair of True Religion jeans for $89. :brick: Seriously cannot wait to get back home and hit my usual circuit, even though that's been dry lately.

kbkb

Reaction score
First post, long-time viewer. I found this Versace 3 button jacket and I wanted to know whether it is real and how old it is, so I suppose Spoo would be most knowledgeable if he's around, but anyone please feel free to chime in. Thanks everyone.

costanaconda

Reaction score
Not much today...

2 ties Gitman Bros and Versace. I'm not sure the Versace is real, but it seems to be. Also wool vest that says "Nanshen" on it "Pure new wool, woolmark" and is quite nice.

Hopefully my thrift outfit is better today than yesterday: Zegna, Borrelli, Versace:

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
First post, long-time viewer. I found this Versace 3 button jacket and I wanted to know whether it is real and how old it is, so I suppose Spoo would be most knowledgeable if he's around, but anyone please feel free to chime in. Thanks everyone.

Welcome to the forum. Can't hurt to toss up the Spoo Signal.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
^^You guys are really unable to tell that is real??

Are you going to tell us what year it was, some random facts and how much it might sell for...plus the Spoo Signal kicks ass. Don't be jealous tben if you want your own signal I can work on it for you
stirpot.gif

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you going to tell us what year it was, some random facts and how much it might sell for...plus the Spoo Signal kicks ass. Don't be jealous tben if you want your own signal I can work on it for you :stirpot:

......I want my own signal.......

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Found a nice basic charcoal (DIG!) DB H-F suit coat at SA half price day and while it's an orphan, it's a staple color so I can fake it till I make it. Also, one of those huge party coffee pots with the tap at the bottom, new in box. Who doesn't need one of those?

Doubled down by hitting Marshall's and Maxx on the way home, admiring the Corneliani summer jackets in blue and semigloss taupe cotton ($299) and I'm still confused with Jack Spade jackets (they seem like stuff my EMS tent is made out of, and I guess wrinkly's in? Because those will never look good).

But the real confusion came when I saw actually very nice looking Lauren blue chalk stripe suits ($149 marked down from $300) with pick stitching everywhere but new, winter (natch) H-F heavy wool suits ($499, marked down from a grand) without the pick stiching. The H-F stuff was sweet, lots of tasteful pinstripes. A bunch of Calivin Klein stuff has pick stitching on it, too, you can see it from across the room! Must readjust what details I am looking for.

All of it was too rich for my blood, however. Almost forked over $179 (marked down from $399 I think) for a fully lined BB medium blue linen coat until I stopped myself, figuring one of youse is going to PM me about a 40R linen coat in blue or khaki or a summery shade you're hawking for much less one of these days. And I'll keep the cash among mi homies here instead of making Mr. TJX more rich.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

And then for me, A Jantzen Tailors shirt. I thought I scored with 6 of these, but strangely, the others were slightly too big. Anyways, this was the one with the interesting fabric choice

Clearly donated by another SFer. What are the odds?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found a nice basic charcoal (DIG!) DB H-F suit coat at SA half price day and while it's an orphan, it's a staple color so I can fake it till I make it...

Gunmetal buttons in place of the originals and you're rocking a DB blazer. No one has to know and we won't narc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads