The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Depending on availability of #2...Dibs and PM sent.

Is it TOO MUCH to ask for you to toss an occasional size from a label in there? :lol:

On further review, I am wondering if perhaps it was improperly laundered and has shrunk to a smaller size. I'll measure one of my Smalls to see if it will work or not. Thanks for thinking of me!

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I still want to see Nataku in an all thrifted, vintage Sears fit pic.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

3. Madroaster

Madroaster Well-Known Member

I think if you cut off the excess you'd wind up with a giant hole over time. You'd probably get a few tyings out of it before that, but not many. Better to reknit it back into the tie, which isn't very hard for a decent knitter to take care of.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

RLPL pocket square - $15
    Claimed:Ever the slightest pulls in small areas - couldn't even photograph. Definitely unnoticeable once folded.
    [​IMG]
    Nice of you to proxy! Lucky bastard who grabbed that pink PS [​IMG]

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Sorry, I was trying to get my post in before the legendary #30000 post. See edits below, the others still have not been measured.

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

[​IMG]. So excited...my PS selection is the most lacking part of my wardrobe (they're nonexistent where I am), but growing quickly now thanks to the generosity of a few nice dudes.

7. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

How accurate is the color portrayal? Does this have any pink in the purple ie closer to magenta? Or is it straight up purple?

Gitman Bros. knit tie - $15

[​IMG]

and legendary it was...

8. ahk11

ahk11 Senior member

There is one identical to this at the TJMaxx here, and 3 others in different colors as well. All marked down to $29.

9. Brianpore

This is the next thing on my list due to having a total of.....1 (white). If it happens anything like shoes, I'll have 50 by the end of the year (shoe count is up to about 25, but am starting to sell some of the 1st ones I bought now that I know my size and acquiring better shoes to replace them). Shoes are easier to find at thrift stores then PS though. Couldnt have gone to a better SF member though [​IMG]

10. Brianpore

[​IMG] Thanks!!!!

11. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

[​IMG]Ditto!!!! Ever wish you really DID have two left feet?

[​IMG]

12. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

LOL nice 30k :lol:

We should have a thrift thread convention in LA just to clean up dm7's "strikeouts" ;)

Here's the stuff I bothered taking pics of from yesterday. The shetland and Abboud are available if anyone wants.

English cashmere sweater; recent BB shetland size L
    [​IMG]

Joseph Abboud for Bergdorf Goodman cashmere SC in 42L:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

My thrift fit today. I attempted an "All England" theme, but had to cheat. Turns out, I don't have any trousers made in or by an English manufacturer that aren't suit trousers. So on the theory that Canada is a British protectorate .... (cue the angry Canadian rants) And once that happened, I jettisoned my only Chester Barrie Made in England blazer and opted instead to double down on the mixed Canadian loophole. I'd appreciate thoughts on the color match here. Lots going on, but I think it works together. My wife has a different opinion. In candor, this is somewhat forced, as I have a really nice (no, really -- it's pretty good quality) Tommy Hilfiger (NO, REALLY) woven tie in an orange/blue geometric pattern that works very nicely with the orange overcheck in the blazer. But I bought it retail, so.... EDIT: Add one pic
    SC: Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn (made in Canada) Shirt: CT slim fit Tie: wool, "Made in England for G.B. Harb & Son" -- anyone ever heard of this? Quality is there. Trousers: Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn Shoes: Church's Handmade loafers [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I'd go with a wider tie for those big lapels, and I still think a bit more waist suppression would be more flattering. I have a basic GB Harb repp as well and I like it..nothing amazing, but like you said, seems well made so it works.

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Funny you mention waist suppression: I think I may have lost a couple of pounds. Or maybe it's the shirt. When I bought this SC, I was afraid it was too snug and was pulling apart at the vent. Put it on today, and I had an inch or two to pull the jacket away from my body. Every day's different in the Land of the Large -- I seriously swing as much as 2-3 pounds within a given week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.