• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^ L - R (ugh... looks like hospital lighting.)

1. Pale blue grid patterned (looks like graph paper) Ermenegildo Zegna slim fitting spread collar shirt with single-button barrel cuffs.  15 x 34 or so.  Available.

2. Like new $395 white pique bib front Ermenegildo Zegna spread collar tuxedo shirt with French cuffs.  15 1/2 x 34 or so.  Made in Italy.  Maybe available (maybe not - it's my size, but...  :dozingoff: ).

3. Incotex for Ermenegildo Zegna flat-front burnt orange / pumpkin colored corduroy pants.  38 x 31 1/2 or so.  Available.

PM with inquiries.

That's all folks!

Depending on availability of #2...Dibs and PM sent.

Tom James Gray Knit SC

Harris Tweed Gray Stripe SC

Harris Tweed SC Blue Gray Check

Local Tailor 3 Piece Gray Flannel Pin Stripe

Burberry Beige, Nova Check Rain Coat

Is it TOO MUCH to ask for you to toss an occasional size from a label in there? :lol:

...Found this for you Dig! But then I saw the size :/ Black RLPL Polo  (My first RLPL) It seemed to be more like a L than XL. Marked at $19 :/

On further review, I am wondering if perhaps it was improperly laundered and has shrunk to a smaller size. I'll measure one of my Smalls to see if it will work or not. Thanks for thinking of me!

LooknGr8

Reaction score
I still want to see Nataku in an all thrifted, vintage Sears fit pic.

Last edited:

Madroaster

Reaction score

Stopped by an RL outlet today, picked up a few pocket squares and ties for myself, and picked up a few items that I thought you gents might be interested in getting your mittens on. I'm only posting prices since this is technically a proxy. First come, first serve - regular posters in the thread only. Lurkers keep on lurking. Prices do not include tax and true shipping costs.
Gitman Bros. knit tie - $15
There's a large pull partial way up the tie. Left it so it'd be easier to photograph. I honestly think if you cut off the excess, no one would ever notice.
IMG_8171.jpg

I think if you cut off the excess you'd wind up with a giant hole over time. You'd probably get a few tyings out of it before that, but not many. Better to reknit it back into the tie, which isn't very hard for a decent knitter to take care of.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Stopped by an RL outlet today, picked up a few pocket squares and ties for myself, and picked up a few items that I thought you gents might be interested in getting your mittens on. I'm only posting prices since this is technically a proxy. First come, first serve - regular posters in the thread only. Lurkers keep on lurking. Prices do not include tax and true shipping costs.
There's a large pull partial way up the tie. Left it so it'd be easier to photograph. I honestly think if you cut off the excess, no one would ever notice.
IMG_8170.jpg

IMG_8171.jpg

IMG_8172.jpg

IMG_8173.jpg

PRL knits - $12.50
Polo tag has come partially loose on one side.
IMG_8174.jpg

IMG_8175.jpg

Claimed:
IMG_8176.jpg

IMG_8177.jpg

RLPL pocket square - $15
Claimed:Ever the slightest pulls in small areas - couldn't even photograph. Definitely unnoticeable once folded.
IMG_8179.jpg

Nice of you to proxy! Lucky bastard who grabbed that pink PS
ffffuuuu.gif

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it TOO MUCH to ask for you to toss an occasional size from a label in there?
lol8[1].gif

Sorry, I was trying to get my post in before the legendary #30000 post. See edits below, the others still have not been measured.
Local Tailor 3 Piece Gray Flannel Pin Stripe 40R 37/30

Burberry Beige, Nova Check Rain Coat Tagged 52R but measures as a 46

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nod[1].gif
. So excited...my PS selection is the most lacking part of my wardrobe (they're nonexistent where I am), but growing quickly now thanks to the generosity of a few nice dudes.

Nice of you to proxy! Lucky bastard who grabbed that pink PS
ffffuuuu.gif

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
How accurate is the color portrayal? Does this have any pink in the purple ie closer to magenta? Or is it straight up purple?

IMG_8170.jpg

and legendary it was...

Sorry, I was trying to get my post in before the legendary #30000 post. See edits below, the others still have not been measured.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
nod%5B1%5D.gif
. So excited...my PS selection is the most lacking part of my wardrobe (they're nonexistent where I am), but growing quickly now thanks to the generosity of a few nice dudes.

This is the next thing on my list due to having a total of.....1 (white). If it happens anything like shoes, I'll have 50 by the end of the year (shoe count is up to about 25, but am starting to sell some of the 1st ones I bought now that I know my size and acquiring better shoes to replace them). Shoes are easier to find at thrift stores then PS though. Couldnt have gone to a better SF member though
fing02[1].gif

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL nice 30k :lol:

We should have a thrift thread convention in LA just to clean up dm7's "strikeouts" ;)

Here's the stuff I bothered taking pics of from yesterday. The shetland and Abboud are available if anyone wants.

English cashmere sweater; recent BB shetland size L

Joseph Abboud for Bergdorf Goodman cashmere SC in 42L:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thrift fit today. I attempted an "All England" theme, but had to cheat. Turns out, I don't have any trousers made in or by an English manufacturer that aren't suit trousers. So on the theory that Canada is a British protectorate .... (cue the angry Canadian rants) And once that happened, I jettisoned my only Chester Barrie Made in England blazer and opted instead to double down on the mixed Canadian loophole. I'd appreciate thoughts on the color match here. Lots going on, but I think it works together. My wife has a different opinion. In candor, this is somewhat forced, as I have a really nice (no, really -- it's pretty good quality) Tommy Hilfiger (NO, REALLY) woven tie in an orange/blue geometric pattern that works very nicely with the orange overcheck in the blazer. But I bought it retail, so.... EDIT: Add one pic
SC: Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn (made in Canada) Shirt: CT slim fit Tie: wool, "Made in England for G.B. Harb & Son" -- anyone ever heard of this? Quality is there. Trousers: Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn Shoes: Church's Handmade loafers

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a wider tie for those big lapels, and I still think a bit more waist suppression would be more flattering. I have a basic GB Harb repp as well and I like it..nothing amazing, but like you said, seems well made so it works.

My thrift fit today. I attempted an "All England" theme, but had to cheat. Turns out, I don't have any trousers made in or by an English manufacturer that aren't suit trousers. So on the theory that Canada is a British protectorate .... (cue the angry Canadian rants) And once that happened, I jettisoned my only Chester Barrie Made in England blazer and opted instead to double down on the mixed Canadian loophole.
I'd appreciate thoughts on the color match here. Lots going on, but I think it works together. My wife has a different opinion. In candor, this is somewhat forced, as I have a really nice (no, really -- it's pretty good quality) Tommy Hilfiger (NO, REALLY) woven tie in an orange/blue geometric pattern that works very nicely with the orange overcheck in the blazer. But I bought it retail, so....
EDIT: Add one pic
SC: Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn (made in Canada)
Shirt: CT slim fit
Tie: wool, "Made in England for G.B. Harb & Son" -- anyone ever heard of this? Quality is there.
Trousers: Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn
Shoes: Church's Handmade loafers

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd go with a wider tie for those big lapels, and I still think a bit more waist suppression would be more flattering.  I have a basic GB Harb repp as well and I like it..nothing amazing, but like you said, seems well made so it works. 

Funny you mention waist suppression: I think I may have lost a couple of pounds. Or maybe it's the shirt. When I bought this SC, I was afraid it was too snug and was pulling apart at the vent. Put it on today, and I had an inch or two to pull the jacket away from my body. Every day's different in the Land of the Large -- I seriously swing as much as 2-3 pounds within a given week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads