The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valium

valium Senior member

i second zegna couture,they have the same stitching

2. valium

valium Senior member

look at the tape,if its black on both sides its master recording tape (big bucks) if its black on one side and brown on the other you can pretty much throw it in the trash.
    (the brown side was attached to crappy tapes to prevent from tearing because they were so cheap)
    i know some say so on the box but make sure thats whats in there,other wise somebody will be really pissed if he gets the wrong thing
    edit,also the big reels (10.5) re worth around what you saw on teh completed listings,the smaller ones (7) not so much...stilll a very nice score if master tape

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

So helpful! Im confused though - the tapes are all black with brown on the other side, but they all match the boxes... heres whats inside. Also the cover of one which seems to be a master recording? I dunno, I know nothing about this. Any advice is appreciated! Oh, they are all 10.5".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. valium

valium Senior member

lol spoo you are so cute.
    okay take one end and just unSPOO...L it a bit.not the sides of the reel itself but the tape itself.where the sound is put on,so like the flat part of the tape.even if the tape is not master those reels are worth around 25 each unless you have ones that say Pioneer ($100-120) or TEAC or AKAI (50-80 each) thata just for the reels.
    if those Scotch reels have master on them you should ask $20 just for the reel plus around $50 for the tape (they are desirable because they can be erased and recorded on over and over again)

PS that one reel box seems like its a tape from a recording session of some chick named Abby Lynn,quick search reveals shes some kind of singer?
    never heard of the chick though.
    some artists use analog to record but its 4 track tape,much wider then what you have there,so thats a bit puzzling but you have an engineer name on it and everything so looks like a studio session,could be some original recording of this honey,worth looking into.

PS if it pans out i expect a cut :)

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Well, all the tapes are black on the outside when wound, and brown on the inside. No black/black, but they do say master recording. Im just going to put them up at $5 and see where they end up. Any other advice though, is appreciated. What about that one with the info of the recording on it? (catchy freestyle 80s tune lol)

6. valium

valium Senior member

yeah those are just regular tapes,not worth much.make sure you specify that when you list it.you will get big time NEGS if someone buys it thinking its master.
    see those metal reels are called pick up reels,they pick up whatever you happen to have on the other reel.so he could have have had master recordings on them but then put something else on it tahts all.in my case when i bought my 100 reels i had SCOTCH reels in TDK boxes and AKAI reels in TEAC boxes.so it doesnt really matter what it says on the reel itself.
    hope that halps

7. amadar

amadar Senior member

Versace casual jacket today. 60% Angora 40%Wool. Interesting 1 button, zipper configuration. Notice the faux buttonhole with sleeves that look unfinished. Spoo you have any knowledge on this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Raul Rodriguez was involved in some big time electro hits. If you had tapes of them, they could probably fetch a bit. Unfortunately, the one you posted is a late 80s freestyle song that wasn't a very big hit.

9. valium

valium Senior member

this might be a weird question,but are you a DJ from canada?
    (theres a reason i ask)

10. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Nope. I wish I was actually a good DJ though actually. I've got a whole bunch of records sitting around that don't get enough play!

11. david4991

david4991 Active Member

Today's haul:
    15 shirts total
    [​IMG]
    Gant, Zegna, Gant, Brooks Brothers Slim Fit Non Irons
    [​IMG]
    Hugo Boss, Hugo Boss, Hugo Boss, Ike Behar for Neiman Marcus, John Varvatos
    [​IMG]
    Gant, Alan Flusser, Pronto Uomo Firenze, Zegna Soft, Brooks Brothers

[​IMG]
    Pendleton Robe

[​IMG]
    J. Crew V-Neck sweater, BNWT Banana Republic sweater, Giorgiolini 1/4 zip, Nothing spectacular but fits

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Went through the pants section for the first time. Faconnable

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PRL corduroy

Left a lot of orphans, but picked this up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tagged 41R. Great feel to it. Faint blue POW

[​IMG]
    Throwback

All available as usual. Should have a pretty big shirt thread on B&S as soon as I get time to get measurements and snap some decent pictures.

12. amadar

amadar Senior member

What, did you think "ballmouse" = "deadmau5"? :lol:

13. valium

valium Senior member

you laugh but yes,i heard he is a member here.mostly in the SW& D section though

PS my gf is in the entertainment/music biz so you hear things

14. amadar

amadar Senior member

Interesting, I did not know this.

15. SpooPoker

Probably about 1998, maybe 97. Pretty good, but not great, maybe $60 or so.

Would she want a Raul Rodriguez/Abby Lynn master recording on the cheap? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.