The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

They are Church's. You can tell by:

- the imprint inside of the shoe
    - the style and shape of the stitching on the sole
    - the size marking on the sole

2. LJubel328

LJubel328 Senior member

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Also no expert, but when I looked up a pair of BB made in England shoes with this same writing I turned up some indication they were made by Church's.

EDIT:
    Uh, what he said.

:fence: I'm currently wearing a Perry Ellis belt, bought at Maxx, which states emphatically (proudly?) that it's made from "MANMADE MATERIAL." Oh, did I mention it's black/brown reversible? Truly shameful.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1

5. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

Here's what I came across the last couple of days

Hardy Amies 4-button suit (I've offered this to someone already). It's actually a forest green with a red widowpane / herringbone pattern. It really love this thing and wish it fit. If anything, it would make a great costume. Wish I had time to take better pics of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I have what I think is a pretty clever idea for fixing the one big snag, but I'm going to research it more first.

And then these two not new, but may as well be new, Band of Outsider shirts
    [​IMG]

And these Brooks Brothers tassle loafers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I usually clean the shoes up before posting pics, but I've been short on time. Stopped by Willie's shoe repair today though and one of the guys who works there, John, hooked me up with some nails so that I could fix a spot where the last layer of heel is loose in one of them. I don't know why, but I really like cleaning up old shoes.

6. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

Oh yeah. I left behind a Hardy Amies 4-Button navy orphan jacket that must have been from the same owner. Not as interesting, and much harder to pull off I'm guessing. Also left a Chester Barrie overcoat. Too many holes and a big stain on the back. Too bad.

7. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Couldn't you just find a larger belt and have a cobbler cut it down to size?

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I got you guys beat: I'm currently wearing the Goodwill brand belt....not a belt found from Goodwill, but their own, Goodwill belt. Apparently they have some sort of an agreement with some manufacturer, because every few weeks they get a huge supply of "NWT" (unbranded, but a new price tag attached to it, and clearly new) belts that they sell for $5. They are in better condition than the other paltry belt selection I've found, so I begrudgingly pulled the trigger and bought one. It's not...terrible. But yeah, it's a sad state of affairs and proof positive that belts are MFing impossible to find at thrifts.

9. Tailor Dan

Tailor Dan Senior member

Here's what I came across the last couple of days
    Hardy Amies 4-button suit (I've offered this to someone already). It's actually a forest green with a red widowpane / herringbone pattern. It really love this thing and wish it fit. If anything, it would make a great costume. Wish I had time to take better pics of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Love the Hardy Armie costume idea. Maybe a little Dr John H Watsonesque?

10. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

Only had a few minutes to do some damage today. Picked these Florsheim's up thinking they would be my size, however, they are too narrow. Not sure if they are worth a damn - but are available. cheap $ or trade.

Size 11.5B

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Stumbled across this Tumi Suit Carrier (dont know the exact title of this piece) Would anyone have any need for this? It has all of the neccessary pleasentries inside - ie. hangars

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Hopmoleman

Hopmoleman Member

Quote: Looks like these could be Cheaney. The made in England and 6184 last lead towards that. Also, the nail pattern seems to be consistent but I am far from an expert.

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I wonder if perhaps they are Churches? Anyone? I just know that they make my foot look slender. Oh yeah. The size 42 coverts to a U.S. 8.5. I have my doubts about this though.

I'll add that I haven't had much luck finding a cobbler willing to do that. On the plus side, I have been fortunate to find a large quantity and variety of leather belts in black/brass, black/silver, brown/brass etc and a goodly number of canvas surcingles and D rings in a variety of colors as well. Italian made, Italian leather and so on. I guess I found my sweet spot for thrifting?

13. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Picked up some cedar shoe trees at the GW today. I looked at one of them it said Allen Edmonds on it, put it in my basket and was on my way. When I got home I noticed the other tree said Nordstrom on it, is a bigger size, AND it's also a left shoe ! [​IMG] Dangit!

[​IMG]

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

On a side note, I've often wondered why the thrifts around here charge me per shoe tree, as if I would only buy one. If they are going to do that, why don't they charge me for each individual shoe as well.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

15. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Im on the lookout for anything Domenico Vacca
    if you come across this brand at your local thrift.
    Will pay or trade, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.