Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Do you enjoy re-visiting your old clothes in the thrift store? I was there today, and all I could find of any value was a sportcoat I donated two weeks ago. I admired it again and wished it luck

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Picked up a vintage US Navy peacoat today. From what I've been able to find it's probably ca. 1950s. Needs some stiching to the collar and a dry cleaning and it should be good to go.

3. af1snaikboi

af1snaikboi Senior member

Most of you must not be from NY, all of the stores here are picked dry it seems

4. otc

otc Senior member

I picked up a black brooksease jacket yesterday for $35. It was a little more than I would have wanted to pay (and I didn't have a huge interest in black) but the fit was amazing and condition looked mint other than some tearing in the sleeve lining.

It is clearly an orphan but I think it could be made to work as a jacket (would I need to switch the buttons?). I also thought it wouldn't be so hard to find a pair of brooksease pants since they are sold as separates but it looks like they do not make them in black now and I didnt see any used ones on ebay.

5. treegarden

treegarden Well-Known Member

Two scores this week.

1. A. Testoni wingtips from Yoox for $265. Not sure of list price but it's gotta be at least twice that.
    2. Barbour Border jacket from Aaron's of Eastham for $245 (reg. $389).

Having now bragged to an appreciative audience, I feel that the transactions are complete!

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Thrifting has been really shitty around here lately. Yesterday I found out there was going to be a Children's hospital benefit garage sale today (one of those HUGE ones that are held in a big, open building. This one was held in a hockey arena). It was about the size of your average thrift shop. Got up at 5:45 and got there about 6:30. $3 admission, $30 price tag (it was in their "boutique" section, plus 1/2 an hour waiting in line to get in got me this: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Too bad summers almost over.....but there's always next year! Got some workhorse Orvis shirts as well. There wasn't that much else there, but I feel some other guys may have snatched stuff up before I got a chance to look. A bunch of Hamilton custom shirts and BB stuff.

7. garmentmerchant

garmentmerchant Senior member

i found a kiton 7 fold in a thrift store for .50 cents I sold it for $150 that was probably my best find.

8. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

My 'only' find during the week was a decent pair of black captoes with the slightest hint of broguing, but I got them home and took a better look and found they were Edward Greens [​IMG]

Two trips out this today - one in the morning to a three-weekly thrift. Some old bespoke but nothing in my size (very cool mohair suit though), but I picked up a pair of RTW Foster & Sons black Oxfords to flip.

This afternoon I did a shortened version of my usual loop. Little of note - the only items that spring to mind were a pair of RLPL shoes (marked Made in England, and with lasted shoe trees, but very lightweight construction - unlined in the heel), but at £65 a bit much, and two brand new Ballantyne cashmere sportcoats, but expensive and too short in the sleeve for me.

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thrifting has been really shitty around here lately. Yesterday I found out there was going to be a Children's hospital benefit garage sale today (one of those HUGE ones that are held in a big, open building. This one was held in a hockey arena). It was about the size of your average thrift shop. Got up at 5:45 and got there about 6:30. $3 admission, $30 price tag (it was in their "boutique" section, plus 1/2 an hour waiting in line to get in got me this:

[​IMG]

That's a nice coat, and I bet it's one of those hard-to-photograph patterns that look even better in person.

10. hadamulletonce

hadamulletonce Senior member

My best purchase was a Ghurka Cavalier IV at a Value Village for $9.95. It was vintage in a tattersall pattern treated canvas with leather trim in near perfect condition. I ended up getting rid of it as my trips are really short. I rarely ever have more than a carry on, but it was a great deal. If you haven't seen the vintage tattersall pattern I found in on a ghurka backpack listed on ebay.

Ghurka Cavalier IV
    [​IMG]

ghurka backpack in the older tattersall pattern in treated canvas
    [​IMG]

11. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

At Goodwill today, three pairs of wingtips. Black bal shortwing J&M Optima, Banana Republic greyish tan blucher shortwings, Nettleton light tan longwings 9EEE. All in very good to excellent shape. Total was $9.

12. otc

otc Senior member

At Goodwill today, three pairs of wingtips. Black bal shortwing J&M Optima, Banana Republic greyish tan blucher shortwings, Nettleton light tan longwings 9EEE. All in very good to excellent shape. Total was $9.
    Nice, mine is not nearly that cheap.

Yesterday I picked up a pair of captoe bostonians in a really dark (burgandy?) brown for $9. Not the nicest things in the world but I am trying to grow my shoe collection with more brown shoes and they fit great and were practically unworn (they are full leather soles). I also grabbed 2 shirts from J. Crew and Alfani mainly because I really liked the colors (quality wise they are nothing special...the alfani has a nice slim fit to it).

Today I picked up a brooks brothers blue blazer. It's a very BB 3-roll-2 with brass buttons. $10 with some pants (they were BB but from a different line and clearly a different fabric and significantly smaller size). I let her keep the pants to resell in exchange for the wooden hanger it was on.

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

That's a nice coat, and I bet it's one of those hard-to-photograph patterns that look even better in person.
    Yep, 'tis that. This may end up being for sale though, as the arms are a bit short and there's not much more material to be let out....

14. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

My best purchase was a Ghurka Cavalier IV at a Value Village for $9.95. It was vintage in a tattersall pattern treated canvas with leather trim in near perfect condition. I ended up getting rid of it as my trips are really short. I rarely ever have more than a carry on, but it was a great deal. If you haven't seen the vintage tattersall pattern I found in on a ghurka backpack listed on ebay.

ghurka backpack in the older tattersall pattern in treated canvas
    [​IMG]

Very nice. I think 'houndstooth' is what you're after rather than tattersall.

15. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

Someone dropped a bunch of Brooks Brothers jackets at my local thrift. I picked up a nice BB camel hair jacket for $5.99. Anyone know when Brooks stopped doing 2 button cuffs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.