1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Chest 43"
    Waist 40"
    Sleeve 25"
    Shoulder 18.25"
    Length BOC 33"

2. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

So I bought this...
    [​IMG]

and it has this...
    [​IMG]

and this...
    [​IMG]

but fortunately it wasn't a total loss as it also had this...
    [​IMG]

Sadly as much as I want to believe I can make this work on me the shoulders are just too small and it is available to a smaller 40 or 38R...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ch: 20.5"
    Sh: 17.5"
    Sl: 24.75"
    L: 29.5"

3. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

To me this looks like just an old label. I has a sweater vest that's about 10 years old from back when they started making their comeback that is made in France. Lacoste essentially disappeared in the US from about '84 - '85 to the early 2000's. I think Devanlay is their mass producer much like Izod and Chemise were in the 1980's

4. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Damn, where are the wide-ish size 12 shells at. One of these days.

Came across my first Aquascutum coats/suits today. All appeared to be in excellent condition, though on the inner pocket opposite the ones with the Aqua tag, the previous owners decided to cut the tag out in a most novel way. They cut the entire fucking pocket along with the tag [​IMG]. Then again, Aquascutum shouldn't be made in the U.S.A. right? These were... Diffusion?

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Looks like you know more, I recant and defer to jkidd's judgment on this one.

6. Wizard Swears

Wizard Swears Well-Known Member

You should have seen the package, I had to reweigh it after taping it up. That bitch was a brick once I got done with it!

7. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

I coulda been had a years worth of Tom James today. Like 10 nice button ups and 6-8 suits in good condition ~44R maybe slightly larger. also coulda been had like 8 BB Makers ties. different patterns and colors.

8. Wizard Swears

I tried listing a Burberry shirt within the first week of me getting a seller's account and I got hit with that message. I haven't tried listing one again, but I am tomorrow since eBay is having one of their free listing days.

9. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

10. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Nice watch, I recently thrifted an orange faced one with a silver casing for $14. [​IMG]

11. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

For the curious, I called eBay customer support (which was surprisingly painless and someone answered almost immediately), and it turns out their system will randomly flag a commonly-counterfeited item for review based on brand name and/or keywords. The gal told me it will start showing up at 4:28am - about 17 hours after I listed it so I guess not too terrible...but of course they won't add those 17 lost hours onto the listing time.

EDIT: magically, the shirt shows up in my listings minutes after I call, and they DID add the "lost" time to the end date & time. No harm, no foul.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  12. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Found my first RG shirt today. It is utterly hideous, but I picked it up anyway. Left a real nice pair of vintage Florsheim Imperials that had been re-soled, recently, with vibram soles. Looked to be good quality work, and the uppers were flawless, but they were 7.5 D--the size and the re-sole weirdness made me leave them.

Now, here's a shot of our hounds (and yes, Spoo's mutt is welcome to come over and play in the pool):

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Regarding the Lacoste, I agree with JKidd.

Anywho, since there is a vast knowledge of items on this thread, does anyone have an extensive knowledge of nautical and/or military collectibles, specifically portholes? I have a Rostand-made brass porthole I bought at an auction a couple years ago. I know Rostand made portholes for ships in WWII, but is there a good way to tell if this was made for the military, or later for civilian use? After a few minutes of research, I see they go for anywhere from $200-$1000, and even at the lower end of that spectrum I stand to make a killing off of it.

edit: also, does anyone have a WorthPoint account? The exact same porthole was sold on eBay in 2007 and is showing up on there. Current market value would of course be different than that, but it'd be a start.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  14. TheNeedMachine

I just posted a follow-up a few minutes ago.

Also, eBay gives me 50 free listings, including adding the buy-it-now option, every month. I assumed this applied to everyone, but maybe it's just for regular sellers or those who have a certain number of sold items. Do pay for listing in more than one category, or adding a 2nd line description etc, but for regular vanilla listings it's free and only pay fees if it sells.

15. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Zhongda Wang (terrible name), is lucky he caught me at a busy time in my work/personal life. I AM the mediation/trial prep for a mediation coming up in exactly a week, 1000's of pages of deposition and medical records to go through, and probably hours of video to clip... Then I go to court for this damn fender bender monday (unless i get out of it, in which case ill drive 3.5 hours to go to mediaton, then im traveling for work all tuesday and wednesday, and move into my new apartment thursday, Saturday I fly back up to Michigan to get shit out of storage, and make the 12 hour drive back to arkansas. Other than that, nothing much going on. You however, are probably within spitting distance... (check Paypal and PM for deets [​IMG])

16. catside

catside Senior member

I'll be damned. Frenchy seems to be viewing right this moment. Post some stuff man.

17. Wizard Swears

I saw it a little too late. Side note: Cox Cable sucks.

Everyone gets the 50 free a month and I use them, but since they *usually* offer 1-3 days of nearly unlimited postings once or twice a month, I capitalize on those opportunities. I have been dealing in shirts and ties since I started selling on eBay in December 2011. I have so many shirts I run out of the free listings quite early on in the month. It's sad... My "office" (read: extra bedroom) has been completely taken over by my shirt stock.

18. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Somebody school me on Margiela. Found this the other day:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Whaddup fellas. Been had BAPE :happy:

[​IMG]

Now the real question: flip it or use it to woo all the asian women at school next semester? :smarmy:

20. TheNeedMachine

Aha - didn't know about the everyone gets 50, and extra unlimited postings occasionally. I'd get emails but ignore them, as I haven't listed more than 50 things a month in a long time [and I started there in October 2000].
    Same here - first spare bedroom closet packed with shirts & coats and spilling out; 2nd spare thankfully not overtaken yet and remains my office; 3rd spare (yes, I live alone in a 4BR house) is just for "big" things as it's a giant empty room. I need to list more and shop less, for a while.

Side note: I love Comcast cable / internet / home phone. When I was buying a house, I made sure that Comcast was my provider - it literally was a requirement in addition to bedrooms / bathrooms / location / house price, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.