• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawz

Reaction score
Nothing exciting, but I found and bought an old peanut butter jar from the late 40's.

Frank's Jumbo Improved Peanut Butter Yay!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nothing exciting, but I found and bought an old peanut butter jar from the late 40's.
Frank's Jumbo Improved Peanut Butter Yay!

Thats nuts, man.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never have good luck thrifting, but found some gems, in an otherwise barren wasteland, A.K.A. Orlando, FL.

I'm pretty exited about my first Kiton & Charvet ties, so that i can now see what all the fuss is about.

The Charvet makes a particularly nice knot, and the Kiton is extremely soft. I have never felt a tie this delicate, and it seems to be a six fold, is that the standard for Kiton?

Both acquired for less than 25% retail, so i feel like i did well. :slayer:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whoah, can't believe you peeps have never heard of Britches. They were one of those stores forever squunched between The Limited and -- gah -- that one annoying men's store with the Giorgio Brutini house brand shoes? What was that called, they sold Seattle/alternative music inspired -type flannel shirts in depressing colorways...grungy, but for a preppy/aspirational crowd. This was during the mid-90's, of course. Everything was LARGE!.
Anyways, Britches was like preppy crossed w/ a bit of outdoorsy: regular (Ralph Lauren -style flannel, plaid stuff, denim and chambray shirts, big puffy full-length coats that came in rugged man green or rugged man green, and khaki pants. Miles and miles of khaki pants. Not terribly expensive, but solid for a mall brand, with no annoying labels.
I've still got my big green outdoorsy coat from 1994. Will poast soon.
tldr: probably not flippable, but worth checking out if it's your size.
(God, now someone must tell me the name of that awful men's store)

Bacharch in addition to their stuff sold that kind of stuff. They were at the mall in Toledo where I grew up.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
I never have good luck thrifting, but found some gems, in an otherwise barren wasteland, A.K.A. Orlando, FL.
I'm pretty exited about my first Kiton & Charvet ties, so that i can now see what all the fuss is about.

Damn. That Charvet is really, really sexy.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is orphan the general consensus?

And who's up for another round of sportcoat/orphan? Though I'm fairly certain I'll be heading back to search in vain for pants, I could not leave without this Made in Italy PRL

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on these ties? Of course, someone took the tags off.

The RN number on the first is Ralph Lauren — is this just a straight-up PRL that's very nice? And is the other one just a made-in-Germany PRL?

Tie ID??

AND ...

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like an orphan to me.
confused.gif

So is orphan the general consensus?

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
This was a weird one. A seven-fold (I think), self-tipped tie with a possibly hand-stitched center stitch on the back. But there is not a single indication of the brand. Only tag is the "100% Seta/Soie/Silk Made in Italy" think. Here's a pic -- color isn't represented well. I'll take better at some point. Advice sought! :D

3fe97c51.jpg

GHo

Reaction score
Couple interesting things I found that I rarely see here in DSM.

Belvest DB Suit. Soft as hell. ~38-40R

Tom James 'Filo A Mano' Hand Tailored Custom Suit, Holland & Sherry Cloth. Surgeon's cuffs. ~48R

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
(God, now someone must tell me the name of that awful men's store)

I seem to remember a mall store from the good (bad) ol' days of men's fashion from the early / mid 90's called "Structure." Is that the store you're thinking of?

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, or rather thanks for nothing! A joke, of course. This thread moves so quickly that it's very easy to miss things.

I will roam the pants sections and perhaps even try to bribe a GW worker to check in the back. It's an insanely nice jacket, and I bet the pants are equally as wonderful.

First post, figured I'd make myself useful. This is definitely a suit jacket. I bought the same suit from a thrift store, unfortunately, I didn't notice the giant, poorly patched hole in the seat of the pants. That is a Corneliani tag.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/24109/h...-patterns-secrets-to-id-the-maker#post_327735

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads