The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

+1. In my case, that's what paying for he student loan, put fod on the table, etc... But, I am thinking of going back to school for my Master's, trying to see how it'll work out.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I have debated it heavily ever since health benefits were made available for ebay sellers a few months back.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Same here. My job pays the mortgage, wife pays the utilities, ebay does the rest.

4. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

That's good news, then...

5. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Guys....I never said selling on eBay was easy. For those of you selling multiple items each week there...that's your choice. I try to limit how much I list on ebay because the people are becoming more and more difficult to deal with. I'd much rather sell to someone here and make a small profit than make $20 more and.have that disintegrated by fees and have to worry some dbag won't be happy or have buyers remorse because he got caught up in bidding and overpaid...then take it out on you and your. feedback.

Heck I've sold some items on here for cost plus shipping. And I hope one day when someone finds that Oxxford suit that measures my size the favor will be returned. I do this for fun and to upgrade my wardrobe. Any money I happen to make is a bonus.

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I would have to agree with that one.

7. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Thanks for this clarification. You are one of a handful of SW&D people on this thread, and probably the only one that knew this precise distinction. Then you have the Junya Watanabe stuff, all of the increasingly more frequent collaborations, and vintage stuff (usually womens') dating back to the 70s. I wish I could find some damned CdG of any diffusion in thrift stores.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

8. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

In that case, why don't you have DM ship his stuff to you and you can take care of the rest?

I'm a small-timer and, in my experience, finding stuff is the easy part--that's actually fun. Taking pictures is a drag, and you're not even half done yet: You still have to measure stuff, write out listings, post things, deal with buyers, which can be a royal pain, deal with eBay, which can be an even bigger pain, and deal with PP, which can be an even bigger pain (don't get me started, let's just say there's a reason behind my avatar). Then you have to box stuff and mail it. Anyone who does it successfully is earning every dime, working eight-hour days and never taking a day off for fear of missing the Big Score at some GW in Podunksville. They are also devoting at least one room in their home to nothing but clothes.

It seems real easy when you first start out, then, one day, you look around at all the surefire stuff that wasn't so surefire that's piled up and you say, screw it. That's why folks consign things.

9. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Exactly right. I would also much rather sell on a board like this than anywhere else. The problem is, you never know what will move, unless it's a NWT RLPL suit or something like that. An as-new BB 1818 suit I recently flipped is a good example. It was navy, a staple and absolutely flawless. I thought it would go in a heartbeat, but it took nearly three weeks before someone on AAAC bought it for around $75, and was rightly thrilled. To some degree, the answer is to never buy anything but RLPL, but where I live, that would mean never buying anything. There is plenty of other good stuff, and so you play the Pendleton and BB and AE you're dealt. I've given stuff for free to folks I've done business with, and they've done the same for me. I've also gotten alerts from folks who find stuff in my size they suspect I'll like. That's why boards like this exist, or should exist. Anyone can peddle clothes, but relationships are priceless.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

That is my biography to a T

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Yeah, I'm getting there... For me it's tough to find time to get to thrifts and even tougher to find the time and motivation to list on eBay. I usually get the bug to list stuff on eBay when I run out of money in PayPal to fund my clothing habit [​IMG] My job pays pretty well even with my massive number of bills (an ex-wife and kids) so flipping is just for fun, to fill out my clothing budget, and to help with the bills a bit.

I really enjoy trading and selling on here 100x more than eBay. Unfortunately I'm in Pendleton, HF, and AE territory with only the occasional nicer item that people on here are interested in. I enjoy the opportunity to get better stuff through people on here and enjoy the company in the millionaire-taste, not-so-much-millionaire-budget club.

12. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Haven't had really any luck at all for a few weeks now but yesterday the lady and I were hitting up antique stores and I found a gray wool BB Golden Fleece suit in a 42 that should fit me great with a little tailoring for $20 from a dealer that had a 50% off sale.

13. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Not sure why my post didn't take and only posted the quote. Smartphone issue...

Well Darkmatter already has an established partner for this who can apaprently handle this volume. I have a huge inventory of my own stuff and wouldn't want someone elses.

My only point was...... why post a picture here, have someone inquire about the item, then tell them...sorry it's boxed up for eBay. You might sell that item for $300-400 on eBay of you might have to relist it several times before it sells. All that time you money is tied up. You might only get one bid on it, and potentially made more money passing it on here once you factor in the costs fromeBay and your consigment partner taking his commission.

14. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

---

15. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Ran into the same problem, for the first 90 days your limited to 25 items per month in a single category, ie., clothing, shoes, accessories, unless you call them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.