The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Gator?How do you tell the diff between gator and embossed calf anyway, besides it's marked "leather" -- and what if it isn't? I have a pair of Topy'd Cable & Co loafers I keep at work for my lunchtime walk when I'm wearing really good shoes I'm trying to preserve...and I've always wondered.

+1

As I've said here and in PMs to others, I know how to do this. I consigned things for others for years, I sold everything on eBay from sports cards to the contents of a machine shop (that is not a joke and yes, it was very complicated). I quit because eBay monetized its feedback system, those fees ratcheted up, and I wanted the time and space back.

I now send a few things to the consigners here and appreciate them more than ever.

However, if there's something I (or any of us) really want that one of you "not for sale/not keeping" guys post here, it would be very smart for you to take heed and PM us the URL for that item once it's on eBay or etsy or wherever it's going.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

2. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I did my best to take some of that bigger guys stuff off your hands.:D The biggest thing is I'm always lookout for suits. Checked with WGP, Klobber etc....if they don't have a need they might know someine who does.

3. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

And me, a 46R with a distinct lack of self control when it comes to clothing bargains. :embar:

4. 951socal

951socal Senior member

seriously? 46 is usually xxxl
    or
    xxl at conservative stores

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Not arguing the facts, just first time I've seen the conversion chart.

6. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

Yea, it is hard work. I am doing ok selling on ebay.Truthfully, if I was hired by someone to do this, I'd quit long time ago. After going on a scavenger hunt to find decent items, it takes me about two full days of work (I mean morning and night) to get everything ready to list them. Then, buyers are asking question and oh shipping is another killer! So yea, if you want to have successful listings, it is hard work.

7. Manofstyle85

8. Manofstyle85

9. Manofstyle85

10. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Since none of you have offered any feedback on this, I wonder where you flippers take high-end women's wear to be identified? Is there a SF for women? I tried the Ladies' Fashion forum on Ask Andy, but haven't found any other outlets.

And also, if anyone can read the characters describing the composition of the jacket, I'd be much obliged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

What's the deal with that? What are you trying to sell? The only time I came across a selling limit was a when I sold a few crappy Dior ties and then tried to sell my Hermes. I think certain name brands are limited. However, I was able to call and have the limits removed.

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I've done a machine shop/manufacturing company & a farm! Still got a few things left if anyone's interested! [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] LARGE Horse Barn - Approx 120' x 40'

[​IMG]
    Federal PA-2-12 100 KVA Press Type Welder

[​IMG]
    BOWES BR40X1250/1 Radial Drill - 12" Column & 50" Arm

[​IMG]
    DIATEST SPLIT BALL END GAGE PROBES - Size Range 04-029

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+100

Although, it has gotten a bit easier since I narrowed my focus on just menswear. I used to flip vintage cameras, and that was a rediculous amount of cleaning, testing and research. Plus every listing was different. With shoes and suits, the templates save tons of time. Nevertheless, I sell 30+ items a week and I work my ass off..every day. It's worth it though, this hobby pays as well if not better than my real job plus its fun....usually. I would love to quit my job and go full time selling...maybe when my student loans are paid off.

14. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

And this isn't clothing ... but one of the records I picked up yesterday for the bargain GW price of .77 is an early pressing of Jaqueline Du Pre playing Elgar's Cello Concerto with the London Symphony Orchestra. I grabbed it because it was in great shape, and I don't have much experience with Elgar. I sent the deets to a legit-looking classical vinyl site, and apparently it's worth 60 GBP.

I passed over a Philly Symphony recording of my wife's favorite piece, Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms, for some reason, so I'll be heading back today to pick up everything else I can find. I did, though, pick up a nice recording of the Verdi Requiem and an unopened Deutche Grammophon recording of Rite of Spring.

15. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I'm starting to think full-time selling plus a healthy journalistic freelance career might be in my future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.