The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

A tad less pinning maybe? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

+1

Keep doing what you're doing, for sure, but if you want to pick out a few things to make available here (especially 40-42 spring / summer unstructured / lightly padded sportcoats and/or 10-10.5 shell cordovan shoes) that would be hugely appreciated.

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Not a brag at all; in fact, more of a vent.

Went to NYC today with the fam to go to the Central Park Zoo. Parked on Madison at 71st. Walked down Mad to ~59th, then over to the park.

Gentlemen, it was torture. Sheer agony. Why? Because I had to suffer the indignity of walking past storefronts for John Lobb, Church's, Attolini, Borrelli, Oxxford....

It's a good thing for both my wallet and my marriage that it was Sunday, and they were (mostly) closed.

4. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Honey I really didn't mean to max out the credit cards...but don't I look great? :slayer:

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

~

Using only the powers of your imagination, I will ask you all to envision (1) a purple and green triangle-pattern Turnbull & Asser tie, (2) a wonderful Mega-Man cuff Turnbull & Asser shirt (size 15.5, possibly viewable in my $ales thread), (3) Chris Ware's Acme Novelty Library #1 (YES), and (4) a battered VHS copy of Nickel Mountain, the long out of print adaptation of John Gardner's novel, known to celebrity nudity enthusiasts as the only naked-on-celluloid appearance by A Nightmare on Elm Street's Heather Langenkamp (personal grail).

[​IMG]

All in all, not a bad week...

:satisfied:

~​

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

6. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior member

Spent the weekend in Destin, FL. Not much luck thrifting (left behind a pair of heavily pleated Zanellas in a 38) but I did fare better at the outlet mall. At Saks Off 5th I picked up what I'd consider to be a grail outlet find, especially since it was on the clearance rack for the price of two cocktails at the hotel bar - a WHITE Gitman Vintage OCBD in a Small (my size). The only discounted Gitman Vintages I've ever seen have been L-XXL and patterned. This was especially good luck since the RL white OCBD I've had for years just started fraying at the collar. I was planning to buy one of these when the half off sales hit in a month or two, so I was pretty overjoyed to find one for 20 bucks. Managed some more good luck at Sperry with these black high tops from their Band of Outsiders collaboration line for only $40, also on clearance, also in my size. I was really hoping for the low tops but for the price I couldn't pass these up.

[​IMG]

Back home I did manage my first decent wearable thrifted shoe find with these Made in Italy Polo loafers. No idea what kind of skin they are, my guess is that they're embossed calf or something. Either way, they suited me well on the trip, well worth it for 5 bucks.

[​IMG]

7. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong then? I come up with some pretty cool (I think) swag for guys right in this size range and it all always ends up hanging on the edge of my fireplace mantle looking at me for months before I either just gut them for their buttons or exchange them for something in a size 40 or smaller to get them moving. In the meantime, my mantle just looks more and more like a row of big dudes in serious navy blue blazers and badass checked, houndstooth, and plaid sport coats waiting for a bus. [​IMG]

8. grendel

grendel Senior member

Put 'em up in the thrift swap thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/287214/the-un-official-thrift-buy-sell-trade-want-thread/105

9. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

Had a busy weekend, so I could only hit a couple of stores while running around on Saturday...found a few interesting items..

Hickey Freeman tuxedo shirt, 16.5 x 34 , dual button holes for studs, and FC (my size, but dont know that I'll be needing one anytime soon)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Comme Des Garcons shirt, Made in France, size L-I assume this is real, but its not the "Homme" version that seems to be quite expensive ( I think those are made in Japan?) but a nice shirt
    I dont think I had heard of this brand til someone mentioned it on this thread a few days ago..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hanover LB signature PTB shelll cordovan (model # matches one on shell spreadsheet), size 8EEE- available-too wide for me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hanover PTB, shells, no model # to verify, and have some dryness in the rolls, but really appear to be shell-( no real wrinkles) as well-size 8.5D (keeping for now)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 951socal

951socal Senior member

you mean 42 as in chest measurement and not euro size right?
    becuase if you're a julius 44-46 i've never seen anything that slim, i've never seen anything smaller than a 36S ever

i just passed on a $40 canali suit the other day in 52L actually haha.

i look at 42 as a maybe, if its a slim 42 (modern slim fit suits like dior homme, not that i've ever seen one) i might get it depending on brand, but if its cut for a larger dude (canali, zegna).

it makes sense that they're are larger suits in these types of stores due to people losing weight and donating the usuable stuff out here

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Yes, a size 40-42 jacket in US sizes

There's some of us who are those sizes who aren't terribly slim (like me)

12. 951socal

951socal Senior member

comme des garcons is a jaoanese designer brand designed by rei kawakubo, comme des garcons SHIRT is a diffusion, set slightly above the PLAY line.
    Homme + = is the luxury line for men.

nice find actually

13. 951socal

951socal Senior member

Just to be absolutely clear
    since sizing always leads to a fight on these forums.

anything above size Large, italian 50, US chest size size 40, i don;t bother picking up.

since XL and XXL is big[​IMG]

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

It's up to you what you pick up, but I wear a 40-42 and wear a medium in most shirts / sweaters sized that way. There's lots of people in this thread who are 40-46 and a few 48-50, plus there's always eBay.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Wow, first I've ever seen my size (46) as a Triple XL!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.