Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Wasn't the whole point of this thread originally to post up pictures of cool stuff that was found while thrifting. Somewhere along the line it got perverted into a sales thread. DM is doing exactly what this thread was created for....bragging.

He's not posting sizes or measurements and certainly isn't throwing out if it is available or not. So to give him a rash of shit because he's not playing by some rule that doesn't exist is silly. Everyone go back and read the first post of this thread by J.

"I've been meaning to do this for a long time. I often get great stuff, and I want to brag and gloat to someone who will care, understand and/or appreciate it. But it's not worth starting a thread for each new item. I also want to hear about what other people got. It will be a journal of sorts."

Just my .02.

Btw...crappy camera phone pictures do not move merchandise on SF or eBay.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

2. mainy

mainy Senior member

lol. if you don't think selling stuff on ebay is hard work..... photographing, writing listings, measurements, shipping takes a MASSIVE amount of time even if you have it streamlined to perfection. i think people seriously seriously underestimate the amount of effort it takes to sell 30-100 items a week, even 10-20 can be a lot of work if you don't really know what you're doing.

3. 951socal

951socal Senior member

I actually leave size 44-46 inch chests on the rack now, its hard to find people tht big on fashion forums. i see alot of nwt canali, or modern oxxford but pass on it since it doesn't move even when i do the $50 shipped suit things. id kill to get $100-200 for a suit i got at a thrift store

i generally pick up size 40 and under

4. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

+1

5. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I bought a really nice Nikon Coolpix P7000 off Best Buy.com a couple months back when they came out with the new model, Paid for it with money I made selling stuff with pictures I took with my old crappy digital camera.

6. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Mainy, I'm not disagreeing with you. My whole point was if you can take a crappy phone picture, and make $50 - $75 after you back your costs out..why not do it? And I don't begrudge darkmatter on what he's doing. But he did mention how tight his funds were just the other day when he mentioned why he isn't picking up more stuff.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+1. Every Sunday I devote at least 3-4 hours into my listings. Photos, descriptions, measurements, etc and I've been doing this for almost 10 years. That time doesn't include packing and shipping each item individually. That itself can take up to an hour or more.

Wow, really? I myself an a 44 and I know about 20 guys on here that are my size. We literally battle over stuff sometimes. I'd kill for a recent Oxxford in my size (42-44 R). This isn't really a fashion forum where everyone is a 40 R and wears D&G. I actually think us medium to bigger guys make up a good chunk of this forum.

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

+10 [​IMG] It's a lot more work then it looks like to list massive amounts of items.

What!? [​IMG] um... PM sent if your seriously leaving that shit behind

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

Yes they can

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

Please add 42 and PM me [​IMG]

11. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Meant to post this Friday, but it's been a long weekend of drinking, soccer, and watching basketball. Picked up a J.Press (I think MTM) three piece navy blue chalk stripe suit. Size 38L. Fully canvassed. This sucker is HEAVY - definitely for the dead of winter. Available. Only condition issue is a small 2" rip in the lining - should be a quick, cheap fix at the tailor.

FYI - those spots in the first picture are just my shitty camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Two days late getting these posted from Friday. Pics were a little rushed....and wrinkled.

Zegna Trofeo Birds Eye
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Samuelsohn Birds Eye
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Members Only SC
    [​IMG][​IMG]

HF Pin Stripe
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Avoca Irish Tweed
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Local Tailor 3 Peice Flannel
    [​IMG]

Hanover Sheppard Sigs, Shell Longwings
    [​IMG]

13. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

You really know how to hurt a guy, don't you. Seriously?! I'm always on the lookout for good 44-46 stuff.

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

+1. I know I did, and now I have stuff piling up everywhere because I can't keep up with it. And I'm averaging 2-3 hours less sleep a night. Nothing that's worth doing is easy.

If DM was a hoarder, would anyone care? Personally I don't want to chase him away, because he posts the sickest crap on the planet. Keep doing what you're doing, DM. [insert Citizen Kane clapping here]

At a generous 42, +1. I may have a bigger gut than I'd like, but I'm by no means large. Just broad shouldered, with a rugby-player's build. 44 or even 46 is not that large. (This us Amur'ca, after all!)

15. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

A few recent pickups:

J Press Presstige houndstooth jacket that looks awfully close to this one: http://www.jpressonline.com/sportcoats_presstige_detail.php?id=J32030Q
    Aquascutum Tan Aqua5 Trench 48T
    Seiko Automatic 200m Diver's watch w/o band. I think this is one of the more recent models with the Kinetic movement, as you can hear the movement shaking when you rattle the watch around.
    Nice handrolled silk pocket square. I was talking with my tailor about making these and he told me it's cost prohibitive (~$50/ea), so every time I find a tasteful one for two bucks, it's brag worthy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.